Stokey Plant hire.....

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
Joes1989
Flag: Great Britain

Stokey Plant hire.....

Post #1 by Joes1989 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Right just a quick one....

has anyone got a picture of just the stokey stetson guy? Im currently trying to make a set of decals for my model 374D LME that i just bought. I want it to be as close as possible so i would really like the stetson on the model.

Or has anyone got any pictures of a Stokey 365C LME that they would kindly share to help me out!

Cheers

Joe

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Stokey Plant hire.....

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Here's a relatively clear pic of the stetson on one of their dozers, hope this helps.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Joes1989

Post #3 by Joes1989 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks Jeremy it does help alot!

I apoligise as i seem tohave posted it in the wrong section by accident haha

Cheers

Joe

modelman093

Post #4 by modelman093 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:31 pm

Joes1989 wrote:Right just a quick one....

has anyone got a picture of just the stokey stetson guy? Im currently trying to make a set of decals for my model 374D LME that i just bought. I want it to be as close as possible so i would really like the stetson on the model.

Or has anyone got any pictures of a Stokey 365C LME that they would kindly share to help me out!

Cheers

Joe

This was the first D9 that Mr stokes bought after retiring from Bowmaker. 1965ish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rustypete

Post #5 by Rustypete » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:47 am

modelman093 wrote:

Cheers

Joe

This was the first D9 that Mr stokes bought after retiring from Bowmaker. 1965ish.

Signboards painted free-hand by a chap from Telford called Frank Salt, he was in his late 50s then.
To watch him paint the stetson was fantastic.
It was basically done in 2 parts, the hatbrim first, then the crown and chin as another line. very easy when you know how.

One of the finest trade-marks ever seen imho. Similar to the Nike ''tick''.

In 1975 the first vynils were tried, they were okay, but when fitted to cover most of the tank, diesel-spill and dust got behind them and they were soon defaced.

IIRC, sign-writing was used for several more new deliveries before trying again.

It is an early purchase as the favoured combination on a D9 was a Kelley ripper with a variety of Cat shanks in them.
And as for ''Stokeyisation'' [a Bowmaker term, used also with Leverton's and Caledonian], it wasn't just a push-cup as read elsewhere. ;)

Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but I thought it might help someone.

lynchy

Post #6 by lynchy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Rustypete wrote:
modelman093 wrote:

Cheers

Joe

Signboards painted free-hand by a chap from Telford called Frank Salt, he was in his late 50s then.
To watch him paint the stetson was fantastic.
It was basically done in 2 parts, the hatbrim first, then the crown and chin as another line. very easy when you know how.

One of the finest trade-marks ever seen imho. Similar to the Nike ''tick''.

In 1975 the first vynils were tried, they were okay, but when fitted to cover most of the tank, diesel-spill and dust got behind them and they were soon defaced.

IIRC, sign-writing was used for several more new deliveries before trying again.

It is an early purchase as the favoured combination on a D9 was a Kelley ripper with a variety of Cat shanks in them.
And as for ''Stokeyisation'' [a Bowmaker term, used also with Leverton's and Caledonian], it wasn't just a push-cup as read elsewhere. ;)

Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but I thought it might help someone.

No need to apologise mate,tell us more!

Britman

Post #7 by Britman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Who runs Stokey Plant Hire now ? I knew some of their people back in the late '60,s and '70,s...I wonder where they all are now ?

SRB

Post #8 by SRB » Sun May 11, 2014 9:06 pm

Sarah Jones runs Stokey now, daughter of Mr Bob Collins who owned it after Mr Stokes.

Flat out at the minute!

SB
He who hingeth aboot, getteth hee-haw

Britman

Post #9 by Britman » Mon May 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Thank you Stu. Is Bob still around ? I knew him a long time ago along with John Davidson and someone called "The Vicar" ( I can,t remember his name) who were operators for Stokey in the '70,s also Reg ? from Hednesford who was a sales/Rep and a few others who I can,t remember their names.

mrgruffy100

Post #10 by mrgruffy100 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:03 pm

I believe the original logo was a head and stetson with a cigarette in the mouth ,hence 'stokey' american for cigarette butt. I remember they removed the trees on the M4 Swindon section with a couple of old 8's.

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”