The newest steam locomotive Tornado

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
martyn williams

The newest steam locomotive Tornado

Post #1 by martyn williams » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Whilst in Bristol today I has a chance of a look around "Tornado" this locomotive was built in 2009 and built to an original design,cost £3,000,000. The workmanship is superb.Money was raised by donations.
It is currently being used between Bristol and Torbay on steam specials. My mate has the fantastic job of driving this great machine on these trains :mrgreen:
Photo shows me on the footplate at Barton Hill depot Bristol. The heat coming of the firebox was tremendous.
[video]http://youtu.be/MrDqt8FDd5M[/video]
Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

redleicester

Re: The newest steam locomotive Tornado

Post #2 by redleicester » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Just a lovely toy.

Stormin
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Stormin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Great piece of kit. Lucky you to get on the footplate and your friend to drive it. Thought it came in a bit cheaper than 3 million. Are there some more new steamers being built?

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:31 am

Was talking to one of its keepers about new builds. No money around at the moment.But there is interest around. A big well done to all the people involved in this project.When you look at it close up and think.every part had to be built from scratch, from wheelsets to castings. 3 million is cheap. To build a loco of this type in the 1930's cost 20 grand,so transfer that to todays money :dizzy:
Its a huge loco,hope it has a trouble free summer season in the West country.My mate drove it to Paignton on Sunday, he was driving a 66 on a coal train yesterday to a local powerstation.
Martyn

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”