English Electric diesels

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
martyn williams

English Electric diesels

Post #1 by martyn williams » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:58 pm

This is the job I did in the 1990's,overhauling V12 diesels as fitted to Class 37 frieght locos for BR.
They were 1750 horse power and had two turbos and two intercoolers.engines made by English Electric.
We used to strip them down and renew all the worn componants on the locomotive.It took about 4 weeks to do a 10 yearly exam and overhaul.The engines were then put on a "load bank" , this run the engines in and adjustments were made to the governor and fuel settings.We then took the locomotive for a light run,no train attached, to check out control systems and brakes etc.
When we were happy with that,it was put on a loaded train up to 2000 tonnes to check that every thing was ok.It was then put into regular service.I was involved with 20 rebuilds on this type anf 16 on the V16 Ruston Paxman diesels.
These locomotives were truely classic British built locomotives that gave very good service from 1964 to present.
Martyn

Click on photos to enlarge :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian

Re: English Electric diesels

Post #2 by Julian » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:12 pm

It looks a tight squeeze working on them, I take it you left the engines in the locos rather than removing them?

I always thought the Paxman (Valentas?) were V12 - what locos got V16's? (so I can search the youtube to listen to one :)

Julian.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Julian try listening to this one I think its an English Electric but it does sound sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlk0AjvT6yY

Jeremy :thumbup:

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:55 pm

Its a very tight space to work in.when you are my size :lol: The engines on the class 37 were left in, but to answer your question,the V16 were in the 3300hp class 56.We used to remove them and had one under rebuild at all times to speed up down time.The engine in them weight 39 tonne.My favorite engine were the SULZER LDA 28C.They would beat all your GM's and Cat engines for engineering.
The Paxman Valentas were V12 and used in the HST's and the Royal Navy.These have been replaced by the German built MTU's
I have also worked on Maybach V12 and V16,these had the best sounding engine ever in my opinion when under load.These were also used in boats.
I was glad we stopped doing the V16,s as they were hard to work on and I still get the aches and pains in my joints from my time on them.
Martyn

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:01 pm

Found this on youtube of a pair on test,coupled in multiple on a 2000 tonne coal train.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiM-i_p5wSk

From the drivers seat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94OXBPs2Kg0
The Class 40 locomotives is of the same type that was involved with the 1963 great train robbery.It has a V16 English Electric fitted with four turbos
Class 52 powered by two Maybach MD655's pulling 600 tonne passenger train,note how speedy from a standing start these locos could attain as it leaves Bristol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brXAUc2GgL8
Martyn

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”