Birminghams new central Library

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Birminghams new central Library

Post #1 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:42 pm

The work on the new central Library in Birmingham is progressing very well as you will see from the pictures that follow.
There have been other pictures of this site posted in various other threads and as I posted pictures of this site when ARMAC were clearing this site of the carpark that used to occupy it I thought I'd start a new thread.
The former central Library which the Prince of Ears (Charles) once described as a "monsterous carbuncle" has just lost attempts to save it as a listed building, this one when completed won't look much better :( it's supposed to look like a cube of barbed wire when its finished so it will be interesting to see what "old wingy" makes of this one :think:
The first picture looks like it's something from a sci-fi show or backdrop. I was fortunate to get a few pics of a piling rig being transported off site just as I arrived, there are just cranes left on site there now but the whole job is coming along nicely, I hope to post some pics when it's finally completed.
The last pic shows the site from the canal by Gas st basin, enjoy.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Birminghams new central Library

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:26 pm

I have been meaning to post some shots of the finished building so here it is in all of its glory; I will post some pics of the inside of the building too when I have re-sized them. This new building replaces the old library that prince Charles claimed it looked like a "monstrous carbuncle on the landscape"
Out of interest the old library looks like it will be demolished very shortly and even the McDonalds that was once part of the ground floor walk through area has been closed in readiness for this so I must get my camera and get some pics of the demo work when it begins.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Birminghams new central Library

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:11 pm

Right then after a rapid re-sizing of photos here are some shots from the top of the building; it's nice that you can access the top of such a tall building right in the city centre, you can get a good all round view of the city, the only thing that I did look for but could not locate was the 'Two Towers' that prompted J.R.R. Tolkien to include in his fantasy writing's about the 'Lord of The Rings'

Jeremy

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”