Having fun in the snow ?

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
martyn williams

Having fun in the snow ?

Post #1 by martyn williams » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:12 pm

Glad to have a day off as its been freezing in work.It was minus 8 when I left for work yesterday at 0500.
Photos shows 08 diesel shunter I had just driven that morning.Had to check that all the 12 locomotives on my patch were ready to work their trains for the weekend.A lot of track renewal work going on.
Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wxmman

Re: Having fun in the snow ?

Post #2 by wxmman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Martin, do you looka after the loco's that work the Llanwern - Dee Marsh coils ? They pass the back of my house.
Nothing runs like a Deere, - being chased by a big Cat..........

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Yes I do look after those locos.Had trouble with one last Monday but fixed it in time. We are running a few more class 60's now as they can pull a bit more than the Canadian built class 66's,the 66's don't like the cold weather.Which is a surprise.
Martyn

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by topkit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:16 pm

that picture brings back a few memories from the early 80's when i worked at Norwood Jct and wason these regularly (a nice 10am till 6pm shift). We just moved a train of Full Grampus dropside wagons which were then unloaded of their PFA (PULVERISED FUEL ASH) by three CEDAC Poclain 90 machines all of the material was used to build the Croydon flyover for the Gatwick Express trains. Are there many 08's left now in the last 20 years i would suppose that Tinsley Hump yard has gone i know Stratford went, all of that freight that the railways used to carry which is now on the roads shocking !

bigkit

Post #5 by bigkit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Martyn :wave: , as a thicko I just want to ask.......are a lot of the problems with the snow on electrified lines because the snow affects the live rails and the conductivity onto the trains? :?:

And, if that is the case would steam power or diesel be better? ;) :dizzy:

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:46 pm

What happens is that the fine snow sticks to the pickup rail/ collector, causing power not to be collected,another problem that I have dealt with first hand,snow builts up on the point blades,this then causes track signal circuit problems ie the signal box can't operate signals has there are safety interlocks.A few yeas back I was on a test run on a coal train,the points were set to exit a passing loop,because of a snow and ice build up about the thicknes of my finger.The signal remained at danger.Scraped the ice off with a screw driver,it was ok then.Another problem is that fine snow enters traction motors,this happens on the newer rolling stock and locomotives.This gives the loco power earth faults and motor flashovers.So the train is stuck.The older diesel locomotive and multiple units did not get much trouble as they were more robust and had heavy axel weights than todays stock.You also have a lot more electronics on modern trains which can be a problem in cold weather.
A class 66 loco can be totally useless if the cab is cold at no 2 end as the computor will flag all sorts of faults.I have fixed that by putting the cab heater and warming hotplate on full heat.That cures the problem.There are heaters fitted to some track points.
The HST gets very few problems as they have bags of power and heavy axle weight therefore better traction.The newer the stock the more that goes wrong,ike modern cars and plant.
Diesel locomotive hauled trains are the answer.but rail companies prefer multiple unit stock as its cheaper to run.
Thats progress for you :dizzy:
Martyn

bigkit

Post #7 by bigkit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:51 pm

You prove the point, we make progress backwards! Electronics are fine in the text book! Bring back the flintstones, no no, no, sorry! I think the technology peaked in about 1990, the last of the pre-electronic era! :

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Our tool kit is a lap top, a shifter, some screwdrivers and in winter, a tin of easy start.I am not joking,it true :lol:
There are not many class 08/09's around now.There were 1200 built,DBS operate about 25 now.The ones I look after are remote control,more electronic crap :dizzy:
I think we as a country have gone backwards,but,there is a fair bit of stuff moved by rail now,but still not enough. :cry:
Martyn

topkit

Post #9 by topkit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:04 pm

Locomotive hauled stock is just not justifiable to management accountants! the way the railways plan all of their rolling stock movents here in the south east is very clever the everyday commuter has no idea about all of the rolling stock movements that get most of the trains in the right paces at the right time. I wish i could turn the clock back to the 80's my depot ran the last loco hauled trains on the central division of the southern region we had 3 trains in the morning and 3 in the evening rush and i loved working them on a late turn the 17.34 London Bridge to East Grinstead with a class33 and a rake of 8 c1 coaches was great we used to get all of the enthusiast hanging out of the windows and having a look around the locos, we always put on a good show for them with the controller from stop to wide open and back again which had the big Sulzer engine screaming as we pulled away from the stations for the guys that were taping the sound on the trip very happy days indeed, i would hate to work on the railways now- we used to get away with anything !! scariest moment though were the leaves and approaching a station with the wheels picking up and just sliding then listening to the flat spots afterwards!!!

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #10 by martyn williams » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:49 pm

This photo shows how to transport people in a cost effective way.
People in the south moan about overcrowding :lol:
Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”