New Morrisons Superstore

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

New Morrisons Superstore

Post #1 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu May 28, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi All,

I have been following the re-development of part of a local town centre (Willenhall near Wolverhampton) which is a really old style type town with a lot of industrial heritage.
Under the demolition thread I have posted pics of the demolition of the old Yale lock works, locks being the principle product of this town (they even have a lock museum 8-) ).
Upon the former Yale site is to be built a new superstore (surprise surprise) and there is a large variety of machines that are being used here at the moment, yesterday there was 8 x 360 backhoes, 1 x Junttan piling rig, 2 x loading shovel, 1 x Crusher, 1 x Bell ADT and other items of smaller plant too.
I intend to get me some more pics from this site so I hope to be able to post them here.
The first three pics show the Junttan piling rig hauling up the next post to be hammered down, what surprised me about this was the speed in which this was accomplished :o
I was also lucky enough to catch the delivery of a Cat 323 to the site and also took a couple of pics of the Bell ADT which was dumping muck a couple of streets away.
Sorry that the quality of the piling rig pics ain't brill but it was some distance away and the cloud cover meant poor lighting conditions so I've had to lighten the pics using pc software.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Re: New Morrisons Superstore

Post #2 by John Gaunt » Thu May 28, 2009 8:23 pm

Great pictures, Jeremy.
I find it very depressing to see old established manufacturing businesses and sites replaced by shops and supermarkets :( :(

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu May 28, 2009 8:39 pm

John Gaunt wrote:Great pictures, Jeremy.
I find it very depressing to see old established manufacturing businesses and sites replaced by shops and supermarkets :( :(

Thanks John,

Yes it is always sad to see some of our log established industrial heritage disappear and Willenhall was the centre of the lock industry, looks like Morrisons won on the day.
I will post the other pics shortly.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu May 28, 2009 10:58 pm

Oops I'll try again to post the rest of the pics bl**dy windows thats all I can say :oops:

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 29, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi All,

Today the weather conditions were a lot better for photography and some of the machines were in a little better vantage point for me to get some shots......................... :thumbs_up:
Lots more work taking place here and more machines expected on site and even more demolition taking place, only trouble is the free (yes I did say free) carpark which is little more than waste ground is also being used in part of the construction and due to be shut off shortly :x
Oh well looks like walking a bit further :lol:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 29, 2009 8:28 pm

The next four pics are interesting it appears to be some kind of shear supported by chains from a 360 machine, it was being used to "chew" the heads off some of the recently sunk piles.
The pics ain't brill because the camera was on max zoom but you can just about make out what they are doing, does anyone on here know anything about this?

Jeremy

Joes1989

Post #7 by Joes1989 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 pm

That shear is a pile cropper! We had one on a job in leicester! They are really inpressive! I know the next job im going to will have one and as ive got the smaller machine i think we're going to be putting it on my machine! If thats the case ill get some pics of it for on here! Ive dug out a photo i took of the one on the leicester job.

That Junttan piling rig was also on the same job! horrible having to work near it when its hammering the piles in to the ground!

Joe

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #8 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat May 30, 2009 7:51 pm

Thanks Joe :thumbs_up:

I knew someone on here would know exactly what was going on with the pile cropper.
Does seam a rather odd way to attach it to a 360 machine :dizzy:

Jeremy

Joes1989

Post #9 by Joes1989 » Sat May 30, 2009 8:43 pm

I think they are mounted like that because if you had them attached directly to the boom you would have to cut the pile at a set length but with the chains it just slides straight through and you can cut the exact lenght you need to take off....unless you reach the quickhitch that is.

Joe

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:43 pm

Just a few more pics from the said site..........................

Jeremy

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”