Busy day

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
martyn williams

Busy day

Post #1 by martyn williams » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:13 pm

Had a manic day at work today,had three loco failues,serviced five locos and had a trip on a shunting engine pulling 13 coaches on a charter train to Uskmouth Even had time to take a few Cat pictures
The 50 ton shunting engine worked well pulling 500 tons, and coaches packed out with 400 rail enthusiasts
Martyn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfv3wzOORMk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Busy day

Post #2 by Neversweat » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:32 am

Martyn,

Years ago at Cow Lane Sidings just outside Reading Station you used to see parked up the sort of rail mounted cranes that Hornby do as a model - 75 tons ?? Does this type of crane still exist or is it supersceeded by something else?
Reading still has a variety of "Engineering" stock parked up - God knows what it all does :D
The rare occasions i venture into Town i normally catch the train at Theale as it only takes 10 minutes and at £3.60 return cheaper than trying to park the car.

Thanks
Steve :thumbs_up:

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:55 am

Hello Steve
We had a steam 75 ton Cowans Sheldon crane at Cardif in use up to 1976.Today there are six 75 ton cranes based around the country the Western region ones are based at Margam and Old Oak depot London.
I have cine film of the steam one in use at Cardiff,I was asked by BR to film a major recovery operation in West Wales in 1987.I am trying to get it transfered to DVD.its an hour long film showing two 75 tonners lifting a 120 ton loco that nearly fel down an embankment.
We also had three 12 ton steam cranes in use on track fabrication,two diesel hydraulic Maclaren engined 12 tonners.Two KL 44's and RB10 face shovel,580c Hymac and two Cat 951 Traxcavators.I wish I had taken photos then.
Cheers
Martyn

nick lamb

Post #4 by nick lamb » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:49 pm

Nice find Martyn.Gronks on tour?

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:40 pm

A Gronk is what the rail fans call a shunting engine.Don't know why :dizzy: I had only a half an hour to fuel and oil up the engine before I coupled it up to the passenger train,then done a 15 mile round trip on the footplate.The photo is at uskmouth powerstation ready for the return trip.Just fitted the Gronk head board on the lamp bracket.

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”