Interesting Job

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
Nick Drew

Interesting Job

Post #1 by Nick Drew » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:33 pm

Today while travelling home from my current place of work I came across an interesting job which has just started in the market town of Tavistock in Devon England, the work is being carried out by the Enviroment Agency and involves diverting the fast flowing river Tavy so that repairs can be done to an existing wier and to create a new one as well, I hope to stop by on a regular basis and take some more photos as the job makes progress.

In the meantime here are a few shots of the Kobelco SK135 that they are using at the moment which is a self-drive machine hired in from Bridgewater based R.K.Bell Plant Hire seen here placing large "Sandbags" to form the diversion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rvannatta

Re: Interesting Job

Post #2 by rvannatta » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:41 pm

Nick Drew wrote:Today while travelling home from my current place of work I came across an interesting job which has just started in the market town of Tavistock in Devon England, the work is being carried out by the Enviroment Agency and involves diverting the fast flowing river Tavy so that repairs can be done to an existing wier and to create a new one as well, I hope to stop by on a regular basis and take some more photos as the job makes progress.

In the meantime here are a few shots of the Kobelco SK135 that they are using at the moment which is a self-drive machine hired in from Bridgewater based R.K.Bell Plant Hire seen here placing large "Sandbags" to form the diversion.

In water work is always interesting. Im a bit wondering about the sandbags --- look like they have limesone
or something in them certainly not the sand that I am used to....

Topic author
Nick Drew

Post #3 by Nick Drew » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:28 pm

rvannatta wrote:
Nick Drew wrote:Today while travelling home from my current place of work I came across an interesting job which has just started in the market town of Tavistock in Devon England, the work is being carried out by the Enviroment Agency and involves diverting the fast flowing river Tavy so that repairs can be done to an existing wier and to create a new one as well, I hope to stop by on a regular basis and take some more photos as the job makes progress.

In water work is always interesting. Im a bit wondering about the sandbags --- look like they have limesone
or something in them certainly not the sand that I am used to....

No not limestone or at least I wouldnt of thought so :? More than likely to be a waste product from the local china clay pits which is sold for various purposes.

joe foz

Post #4 by joe foz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:38 pm

how did they track it in there?

Topic author
Nick Drew

Post #5 by Nick Drew » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:17 pm

joe foz wrote:how did they track it in there?

They had an access point on the bank across the river :thumbs_up:

Nick :D

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:34 pm

Cracking pics there Nick, yes mate a very interesting job indeed :thumbs_up:
Look forward to more pics of this.

Jeremy

john345me

Post #7 by john345me » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:44 pm

lets hope they dont have heavy rain :shock:

RichardJW~

Post #8 by RichardJW~ » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:35 am

Nick, they seem to have been on that job for a while - I came back thru Tavy last August and seem to remember they were in there paddling around

Topic author
Nick Drew

Post #9 by Nick Drew » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:28 am

Its been finished for quite some time now as far as I know.

Haven't been out that way for sometime now as I have ben working down St Austell for nearly a year now !

I am off to pastures new next week for a different firm ....details soon

Nick

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”