Nant Llesg surface mine rejected

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
SRB
Flag: Great Britain

Nant Llesg surface mine rejected

Post #1 by SRB » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:11 am

Another blow for UK coal mining as the Application for the Nant Llesg surface mine was rejected last night by Caerphilly councilors on the grounds of Visual impact:

"The proposed overburden mound and acoustic bund would have an adverse impact on the visual amenity of the residents of Rhymney and Fochriw during their construction and removal."

12 voted against, 0 voted for & 2 abstentions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-33788673

"Cole not dole" apparently doesn't apply in this case.

SB
He who hingeth aboot, getteth hee-haw

68a

Re: Nant Llesg surface mine rejected

Post #2 by 68a » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:57 am

Very short sighted Stuart.
Don't know where all this will end . With the government rightly cutting subsidies to wind and solar power,I hope they will pull the plug on wood burning power stations too..
Perhaps coal will come back again.It will all be down to money.
Environmentalists and the safety brigade have brought this country to its knees by putting massive costs onto jobs.

gah1950
Flag: Wales

Re: Nant Llesg surface mine rejected

Post #3 by gah1950 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:41 pm

The proposed Nant Llesg at present is a bit of an eysore to say the least, Ryans were in there back in the 70s doing a bit of muck splashing with a 61-RB Dragline but did'nt get rich from it, What is so short sighted with situations like this is once Ffos y Fran is finished the plant could be released to N/L to do that job, But probably what CCBC may be nervous about the inadequate amount of bond that Merthyr Council holds as surety for the reclamation of Ffos y Fran which i believe is a measly£15 million, Looks very much like to me there will be a big market shortly for empty holes in South Wales, Coupled with the news that Aberthaw is reducing generating capacity the immediate future is not looking good for coal, It is however my opinion there will be a big future for coal in years to come simply because there will be no gas or oil left, And as for nuclear the cost of building and running and end of life management of waste is simply prohibitive. Coal will rule again.

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”