more bursts

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

craigdonaghy

Re: more bursts

Post #11 by craigdonaghy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi Graham,

I work for WP DONAGHY contracting it is my dads company we are a small company we do some sub contract work for core utility solutions (mainly electricity duct and cable laying) and do some drain and water pipe repairs for various companys we have 3 hi roof transit vans and a scania 6 wheeler grab truck that we recently bought from a utility company in yorkshire we hire our mini excavators in at the moment we have 2 jcb 801.8s brand new

I have been driving the scania for the past month as the grab driver left to work for pn daly :thumbs_up:

We have been trying to get some work from docwras for a while now as they are in partnership with scottish water doing development work on new housing and industrial sites but not got any through yet maybe soon they are suppose to be good payers when you are a subbie 8-)

Topic author
d4c24a

Post #12 by d4c24a » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:45 pm

been out today on another burst ,but this time i did not have to get dirty :lol:
i am covering standby for one of the grab drivers :thumbs_up:
got to drive a new iveco 8 wheeler with an auto box :| not sure on that it seems a bit slow changing and setting off especially if your at a busy roundabout :lol:
anyway the main was 6" cast iron and is rotten it had about a metre long split
and at some point it had also been lined with pu resin
i think this is the third burst in a month in this street :dizzy: so its down for renewal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

tim
Flag: Great Britain

Post #13 by tim » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:11 am

Hi Graham,a couple of the Docwra drivers have said the auto Ivecos are very slow pulling away. Atlas Bulk Carriers bought some automatic Daf 8 wheelers 2 or 3 tears back and the divers said they were bad as well. We have 2 auto box Volvos at work a grab and a tipper, i have driven the tipper and moved the grab in the yard and though i hate to speak too well of Volvo's -being a Scania man, the Volvos are very quick away,and you have the option of changing gears manually as well. :thumbs_up: Tim

Topic author
d4c24a

Post #14 by d4c24a » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:47 am

hi tim this is the first auto truck i have driven ,it had the option to change gear manually on the right hand stalk ,but i still put my left hand out for a gearstick when approaching roundabouts etc :lol:
cheers graham
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

Topic author
d4c24a

Post #15 by d4c24a » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:07 pm

another burst on the 8" pvc last night i got called about 8.30 got the job done and took the digger back to our job in time for work today :lol: will be early to bed tonight :thumbs_up:
pictures are a bit crap , taken with my phone in the dark
cheers graham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
d4c24a

Post #16 by d4c24a » Fri May 22, 2009 6:17 pm

got a phone call this morning to go to a burst on a 8" asbestos main in the verge not a bad job as the main had been turned off and most of the water had drained away :thumbs_up:
the pipe had split from a previous repair to a colar
we tryed a new style coupling out ,and it worked well
all backfilled and home by 4 pm :thumbs_up:
cheers graham

IBH

Post #17 by IBH » Fri May 22, 2009 9:07 pm

An Asbestos main? What it that exactly? I'm guessing its a type of asbestos concrete its made from similar to the corrugated roofing sheets of old?
Containing asbestos do they create H&S issues when it comes to removing (e.g cutting) and disposing of them?
Sorry for all the questions Graham, but just inquisitive with things like this.

craigdonaghy

Post #18 by craigdonaghy » Fri May 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi Graham,

Is that the fittings that go over old collars on 1 side and the new pipe on the other :?:

:thumbs_up:

Craig

Topic author
d4c24a

Post #19 by d4c24a » Fri May 22, 2009 10:13 pm

craigdonaghy wrote:Hi Graham,

Is that the fittings that go over old collars on 1 side and the new pipe on the other :?:

:thumbs_up:

Craig

Craig the coupling fits any material, it is a just for joining straight pipe not over collars ,it has a gripping ring and will not move once tightened
we used a similar type in London for capping mains and it will not move ,no need for acrows / thrust blocks
i will try and get a picture of inside the coupling

IBH
we double bag all the pipe seal them up and they go for special disposal ,we cut the pipe with reed cutters and have a supply of water ,so no dust
cheers graham

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”