WHATLINGS LTD

Discuss large and small companies here.

Topic author
concrete

WHATLINGS LTD

Post #1 by concrete » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi does anyone have any information on this company.

Thank You

AMRoss

Re: WHATLINGS LTD

Post #2 by AMRoss » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:38 pm

A Glasgow based Civil Engineering, Building and Development Company that went out of business in the early 90s - not sure if they were placed in administration or simply closed down by their parent company - Sir Alfred McAlpine.

They were a substantial private housing business with sites across Scotland.

Whatlings were a big piling contractor in Scotland and as a boy I watched their large cranes on projects in Inverness and outside Tain on the A9.

Whatlings were a sister company to Tullochs of Inverness when they were both owned by SAM.

Things seem to fall apart for them when the concrete frame contract for the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow fell catastrophically behind schedule and they were replaced by a Melville Dundas Whitson - RJ McLeod joint venture.

Whatlings head office was on North Claremont Street and I believe their plant yard was on London Road.

Bomb
Flag: Great Britain

Re: WHATLINGS LTD

Post #3 by Bomb » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi
I worked for Whatlings as a plant operator during the summer of. 1974 driving a JCB 3 C II
ON THEIR A9 contract from Dalmagarry to the Slochd.
The contract was one of three that they'd been awarded on the A9 ( Moncrieff Hill & one other at glenfarg)
The managing director of Whatlings was Mr Robertson who visited sites on a regular basis
The Slochd section was project managed by a Mr Henderson aided by the late Kenny Roe as site agent( contract value was around £ 4.6 million).Foremen for the contract were "wee Willie "Hunter and R Fairburn
The plant manager in Glasgow was Tommy Taylor and the plant boss on site was Mr Dent who was later replaced by Willie Middlemas who was moved from Moncrieff Hill to replace him.
Whatlings maintained an excellent plant fleet and were a good company to work for.
They had many long serving operatives and they paid you well ( £86 / week in your hand for 5 days work)
I hope this information is of use.

Return to “Companies”