Welcome to the new version of CMN!
Some help showing the new functions How-To

How-to: Browsing the forum effectively

Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Discuss large and small companies here.

Denty
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:18 pm
Real name: Denty
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Post #21 by Denty » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Again, I think this is from the M42 - but what's going on :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar

Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5487
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:13 pm
Has thanked: 206 times
Been thanked: 107 times
Flag: Sweden

Re: Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Post #22 by Site Admin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Aaaah! An Åkerman H16C! :claphands:
Nice pic!
Some resources:
How-To


Wee Heavy
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Post #23 by Wee Heavy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:20 am

David 48 wrote:When Dowsetts were building the M18 at Doncaster a motor scraper ran over a car at Warningtoung Lane .There was fatalaties here.Not a good day. If I remember it was on a Sunday morning .They also
Dowsetts were bought out by an Arab company if I recall
worked in malawi Africa this was around 1976/77 Ithink



Dowsetts were brought by Trafalgar House and merged in to Cementation Construction. They kept Boroughbridge going for some time after but Bentley Works was close and the inevitable happened in time.


nick lamb
Posts: 1421
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:51 pm
Real name: nicky lamb
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Post #24 by nick lamb » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:21 pm

the Ackerman appears to be on hire from JPK (plant).They were from Leeds and owned by Jim Kierans.He was a gentleman and ran a big fleet of D8H/K,D9H,627B/637C machines.I bought some D8's and boxes off him in the early 90's before he retireed and sold up.Not many men like him about.


superkerb
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:51 pm
Real name: johnny edwards
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Post #25 by superkerb » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:59 pm

IBH wrote:Is this an R.M. Douglas Akerman?
Pic from circa 1992.


Cut my teeth at Douglas....great crowd....the pic would be a H16 and the jockey stood a good chance of being Frank Randall, he still works for Interseve plant now.............


Mark Williams
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:55 am
Real name: Mark Williams
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Post #26 by Mark Williams » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 am

Hello everyone
Didn't Dowsett build the A48 motorway off the M4 into Culverhouse cross Cardiff.Can anyone confirm & say what plant they operated.I believe they had Cat 631s & Cat dozers with Cat 769B trucks .Any photos would be appreciated.
I believe that they were in the Open-Cast coal business in the early days with Monighan draglines?
Regards,
Mark.

User avatar

FOWLER MAN
Posts: 2041
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:28 pm
Real name: fred evans
Has thanked: 814 times
Been thanked: 766 times
Flag: Wales

Re: Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Post #27 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Mark Williams wrote:Hello everyone
Didn't Dowsett build the A48 motorway off the M4 into Culverhouse cross Cardiff.Can anyone confirm & say what plant they operated.I believe they had Cat 631s & Cat dozers with Cat 769B trucks .Any photos would be appreciated.
I believe that they were in the Open-Cast coal business in the early days with Monighan draglines?
Regards,
Mark.


Yes Mark, they did build the M4/ Culverhouse link.
I beleive it was about their last contract bafore going into receivership. Sorry on pics.
Fred


gah1950
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:18 pm
Real name: Graham
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 13 times
Flag: Wales

Re: Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Post #28 by gah1950 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:50 am

FOWLER MAN wrote:
Mark Williams wrote:Hello everyone
Didn't Dowsett build the A48 motorway off the M4 into Culverhouse cross Cardiff.Can anyone confirm & say what plant they operated.I believe they had Cat 631s & Cat dozers with Cat 769B trucks .Any photos would be appreciated.
I believe that they were in the Open-Cast coal business in the early days with Monighan draglines?
Regards,
Mark.


Yes Mark, they did build the M4/ Culverhouse link.
I beleive it was about their last contract bafore going into receivership. Sorry on pics.
Fred

morning all.
Dowsett did indeed build the A4232 called the cardiff peripheral road,i was on that job for good bit of time on an akerman H12 belonging to Barry Cosslett,The plant Manager there was John tarm the muckshifting foreman was sid procter and the structures manager was gordon stubbs(captain concrete).Dowsett operated a large fleet of belaz dumptrucks/a cat 245/cat 16 grader /1D9h and a couple of cat d6,i cant recall any scrapers on that contract but there were some 769s belonging to Merriman-Meighan and they worked mainly on the drope cutting near culverhouse x,i will find out from a fitter that worked there if there were any motor scapers there,the final reclamation of tipping areas was carried out by blackwells with a couple of D8s and boxes.
graham.

User avatar

Topic author
modelman093
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:18 am
Real name: Angus Shapland
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 60 times
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Post #29 by modelman093 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:46 pm

From a different era - Dowsetts had some Vickers Vigors and Onions boxes on the original section of the M1.


donbuz
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:48 pm
Real name: don burrows
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Post #30 by donbuz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:08 pm

modelman093 wrote:From a different era - Dowsetts had some Vickers Vigors and Onions boxes on the original section of the M1.

we had vickers vigor tractors on m1 at dowsett aston tinsley section (sheffield) remember me and ian schofield doing head gasket rolls 6cfnl ,don burrows


Return to “Companies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest