D. Morgan plant hire

Discuss large and small companies here.

Topic author
v64paul

D. Morgan plant hire

Post #1 by v64paul » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:35 pm

i know there is at least one other on here who has worked for morgans. i served my time there, our kid used to drive the low-loader he has now semi retired and is on an 8 legger. nicky lamb and i keep trying to persuade him to post here so maybe more stories to look forward to. i remember helping an old fitter work on the final drive of a jcb, harry was a lovely bloke who never used to swear. we replaced the crown wheel and built it back up. we put the crown wheel in facing the wrong side which thanks to jcb was quite possible. the result was we had 10 reverse gears and 2 forward. he taught ME some new swear words that day... does anyone else have fond memories of morgans? more like this to come if it's popular. 8-)
there are old fitters and bold fitters but no old bold fitters...

nick lamb

Re: D. Morgan plant hire

Post #2 by nick lamb » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi Paul,I will post lots of Morgan's stuff one day when I get some scanned.In the meantime,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
v64paul

Post #3 by v64paul » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:54 pm

good on ya, unfortunately most of my pics are in my head. think there is one or two i took at the haydock plant show back in the early 80's when i was picking up an award... 8-)

tim
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by tim » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:53 pm

I remember seeing a D Morgan CAT 215 in a CAT advert in the Construction News years ago Paul and saw some Hino 6 wheel tippers in Chester in the early 90's.Found this pic i bought at a steam rally or truck show a while ago. :thumbs_up: Regards Tim
DM1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
v64paul

Post #5 by v64paul » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:36 pm

can't tell from the pic but it's probably our kid driving. the 215 was a real big step up as before that we used to run jcb 6d's, an early 6c with navvy chains on it instead of conventional pin and bush tracks. an mf450 did work on the winsford by-pass until the 215 arrived. the hinos have'nt changed much at all. we serviced a pair of the latest version until recently and it took me back. good honest normally aspirated engine and a straightforward six speed box. the cabs rotted prety quickly. they were great across site for some reason never fully explained to us connected with the diffs, weak link was the single plate clutch which used to give up under duress. it was the biggest fleet of hino's around i think. most of the subbies used to use f 7 volvo eight wheelers running on red and taxed as volvo cars. alledgedly. :lol:

Big Al

Post #6 by Big Al » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:45 pm

Ok Paul, you talked me round. Hope Nicky & Tim enjoy the pics I sent you. I'll try and keep up!!! LOL :lol:

Topic author
v64paul

Post #7 by v64paul » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:56 am

thats our kid that is, can i be the first to welcome a new member 8-)
he has asked me to post a picture of his old truck with nicky lambs d5 on board
Al-s low-loader1.JPG

tim

Post #8 by tim » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:31 pm

Welcome to CMN Allan, nice pics of the Foden.Did Morgans run skip lorries years ago? :thumbs_up: Tim

Topic author
v64paul

Post #9 by v64paul » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:55 pm

there's one thing you can say about young dennis is that he will try anything to make money (almost) wirral waste was the skip hire division with a couple of bedford km's. the obvious choice because at the time the haulage fleet was all km's and tk's. the first NEW tractor unit was a seddon 400 series with a 265 rolls engine. we were the kiddies then! later a pair of oddball foden six wheelers appeared which gave him the taste for big time muckshifting in the shape of assorted atkinson and aec eight leggers. looking back i witnessed a period of expansion in the company at the end of the 70's i got my start as a young boy; mrs morgan took pity on me and i was in for the duration of my apprenticeship. i had the option to choose between plant and wagons after six months. there was no contest, pete travis will always be the best fitter i have worked alongside. long gone now sadly. i hugely enjoyed being out on site solving problems and as soon as i got my driving licence i was on my own. today it's all change as very few plant fitters earn decent money and i'm with a DAF dealer, my 32nd year in the trade. overall there are many fond memories and i might be persuaded to share more if anyone is interested. 8-)

tctractors

Post #10 by tctractors » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:30 pm

Paul I love to hear stuff, I have been working by myself as a free-lance plant mechanic fo about 32years from the age of 21, I was an apprentice from the age of 15, started on farm tractors (FH Burgess) then working for a Pipe-line Co', its funny how life plays its hand, as I seem to have done allsorts looking back, with out any seam or reason, from loads of Bulk Muckshifting, Pipe-lines, Tunneling, Pile-driving, Heavy Haulage, its great to change around a bit, it keeps things fresh, anyhow its great to read about someone like yourself, as there is always something to reflect on and smile about, so keep it up.

always happy tctractors

Return to “Companies”