Dick Hampton

Discuss large and small companies here.

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Dick Hampton

Post #131 by tctractors » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:45 pm

John, Guy Rymall has lived back in the U.K. now some time, his old shape Range Rover still runs Spanish N'o plates, he told me last Sunday that he is still flogging Boats Etc on the Net??? on my Sunday morning Coffee time with the old boys in the Upton News Agents, 1 of them was the Head Mechanic for Shakespears Boat builders (Speed Boats) he knows everybodys shape and form in the boat world and knows Guy???? I think the Jag's have stopped long ago, but you never know peoples business and all said Guy is a very happy and friendly chap who I enjoy to converse with, his Mum mind could make a Tramp blush with her cursing.

John penfold

Post #132 by John penfold » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 pm

Hey thanks young fella,Next time you should see him,please offer my regards,He may possibly remember Phil Petters and myself,We all used to drink from wine glasses, and when you put them down a bit hard holding the base the bowl used to break off, the lady who was running the bar used to chalk them up on the wall as they were broken, for us to settle when we finished drinking, I cant recall his name, but his mate then was the owner of a BMW franchise, all a very long time ago. Once again thanks, That Jockey was some drinking house.
John P

John penfold

Post #133 by John penfold » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Chris,
That bloody old 37 rb As you will recall on taking delivery from Rudington, we had to travel it down to flat moss plant yard to check over before it went to site. the problem was the road down to the scottish office was (we found out afterwards) built on peat, Well needless to say, the road collapsed about halfway down, and the 37 looked just like an old prefab had been erected on the road. It was obviously going to be a major problem removing it and we had to get a couple of 8Rs one with a timber winch on it. which would take several hours to collect from site. So we left the recovery until the next morning.
Much to the dismay of the office staff. as they had to leave their vairious foms of tranport. and walk to the main road ,for public transport which came every 2 hours.

Anyhow the following morning, showed just how wett the peat was in the surrounding field as the hole became a pond. whilst eventualy removing " the old cow" the Main road was so torn up, the local Police, A real nasty B-----d, threatened to charge us all, But it never came to anything, Fortunatley Owen Fury, and a lowbed was close by.We did the mechincal check over on the M74 site at Uddingstone, as there was no way it was going down that route again.

Memories Memories !!!!

John penfold

Post #134 by John penfold » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Does anyone recall the problems that occered through the flint stone in the earth,
Boy did those 631 tyres suffer @Lambourne The replacement cost was huge.

John penfold

Post #135 by John penfold » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Does anyone recall the problems that occered through the flint stone in the earth,
Boy did those 631 tyres suffer @Lambourne The replacement cost was huge.
Poor old Arthur Toons nightmare, keeping the machines workinng in the Cut.

duncan
Flag: Australia

Post #136 by duncan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:01 am

Classic Plant & machinery Feb 2013 Muckshifter memories is a good story by Delvin Meredith about life with hes Dad who was a driver for Dick in the early days using IHC TD14,s and TD18,s a Mack 6X6 and a ERF for tranporting, when I was there the old hands also talked of the Allis Chalmers tracters and the first new tracter Dick bought IHC TD 24 which had a bottle of champagne launch before being handed over to hes longest driver Paddy Connan photo of the event was in the wks office.
Also mentioned Cherry Orchard Kenilworh which I remember going to as well as the London Brick company at Peterbourgh (was it the Ship Inn that we stayed in ?) nearly always D7 and scrapers taking off topsoil Cherry Orchard was one of Dicks first Jobs and a regular money earner.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #137 by XS650 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:29 am

Hampton D8 and box - Livingston new town

Dick Hampton D8 Livingston .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

duncan

Post #138 by duncan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 am

great photo of 8R and box where is livingston

bob-s

Post #139 by bob-s » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:16 am

Thought you would like to see some photos I took whilst working on the M4/4 back in 1970. I remember this was an area just East of the B4009 Newbury to Goring road. I will post some when I get the time and now that I have discovered how!
Dick Hampton M4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

duncan

Post #140 by duncan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:53 am

Great photo's Bob, like the ex MOD Bedford fuel tankers Diesel was cheap then we used Diesel for parts cleaning, to heat bearings and those with Diesel vehicle,s to tow their caravans had a free supply thanks Duncan

Return to “Companies”