George Wimpey (Plant)

Discuss large and small companies here.

Rachie p
Flag: Wales

Re: George Wimpey (Plant) Peter Mills was my grandad so wonderful to read you speaking of him. Rachael Mills x

Post #51 by Rachie p » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:17 am

conway wrote:Mark, I worked for wimpeys as a commercial trainee,fortunate to be sent to sites all over the country my last year with them was spent on a huge resevoir job in Milton Keynes,3o odd scrapers ,mainly ts 24 ,d8 d9.Some of the d8s,came from Motorways plant.Part of my job was to check the timesheets ,you never queried,the hours claimed.It was owned by Pat Barret,a brother of Jonny Barret who run wimpey plant worldwide,another was a wimpey director of contracts,Wally Barr,Name Changed.I believe that another Barret started Barret Homes.Talented guys Peter Mills took over from Jonny B,Peter was my boss A Scotsman Really new the plant game Great way with men,loved to hear any news on Peter

v1230nm
Flag: Great Britain

Re: George Wimpey (Plant)

Post #52 by v1230nm » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:26 pm

Just managed to find an old advert for Motorways Plant from about 1974. They were based in Masons Road in Stratford-on-Avon. Several of their 22RB draglines were used on the restoration of the River Avon between Evesham and Stratford between '69 and '74. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of them.
Neil (v1230nm)

denis carthy
Flag: Great Britain

Re: George Wimpey (Plant)

Post #53 by denis carthy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:22 pm

Mark Williams, hi, was what you call a major OCCS in S Wales the one at Glyneath? I think it was called Measgwyn. I was on that for while about 1964, I was also on Wimpeys (plant op) Water Orton M1 (Brum) & before that their Crick section of the M1, sort of amazed a firm of that size could just go bust.0

Return to “Companies”