Paintwork ?

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
Tillywolves
Flag: Great Britain

Paintwork ?

Post #1 by Tillywolves » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 am

Hello everyone. My first post on the site, but have been reading for a few months.

Im looking to buy a 3C or 3CX, for work around the 2 acres Ive bought, and landscaping the gardens.. I only have about £2500 budget, but my business is VAT registered, so can claim that back... Once I've done the work, I would like to restore the machine a little.

I was wondering what you guys who have done repaints, do to get off the old paintwork and rust ? Are you blasting the metal, or using flap wheels, etc ? There have been some fine repaints on here, so I'd like to know what you did to get back to metal. I've got all the spraying kit, compressor, etc, so thats not a problem.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Paintwork ?

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi Richard welcome to CMN :wave: there are many ways to remove rust it just depends on how much you want to pay out to restore your machine?

Jeremy

martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Hello there
I used to use Nitromors to strip paint off machines, not so agressive as blasting and very good for getting down to fine detail. But, Nitromors is not so effective these days as some of the chemicals that made it a good stripper has been removed from its make up thanks to the E U. I now use "Starchem" a little cheaper and just as effective.
So what I do is, give the machine a good pressure wash .Give the machine a good run and rectify any leaks and carry out any repairs such as welding up cracks .If all ok give the machine another wash off and remove any excess caked grease. I use paint stripper first, scrape off the worst of paint,then use course sanding pads,, 80 grit, or fit an angle grinder with a wire brush atachment. Any large flat surfices I coat with zink phosphate primer applied with a small paint roller.
Blasting is good for large castings but be carefull that you don't get any grit material in seals etc as this will create more work for you.
I resprayed a 3CX many years ago, I found that removing the buckets and wheels makes the job easier as you can do a better preparation job and get a better finnish. Preparation is the key :thumbup:
Don't forget to post photos on here when you do the machine.
Martyn

Topic author
Tillywolves
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Tillywolves » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:56 am

Thanks for the tips on removal. I do have a small blast cabinet, but Im seriously doubting there is a single piece of kit on a 3C that will fit in it.

One of my clients is JCB, so getting advice on the machine shouldnt be an issue, as Im there at the World Parts Centre warehouse quite often.

Return to “Projects”