International and Cat. projects.

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

International and Cat. projects.

Post #1 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi All,
So much for retirement. :lol:
I've had to shelve my Forson project to sort out some machines for some other collectors.
I'm working on a TD18 and a Cat.955 12A at the moment and I think I've got a Drott coming in to do a slew clutch. :thumbup:
TD18 and 955 in pic. below.
TD18 & 955.jpg

I've had the srarter rebuilt and the petrol side of the 18 is running fine. The mag is US. but got over that problem by just using it as a distributor and contact breaker with a 12 volt coil off a car to provide the spark. :roll:
The mag. is away to be properly rebuilt now and I'm re-piping the petrol start primer pump system.
The diesel side was missing on No.5 but I traced it to a stuck delivery valve in the injector pump. I managed to get the valve and seat out and free it so hopefully that's sorted. :think:
TD18.jpg

The 955 has been converted from donkey engine start to direct electric, but without heater plugs it practicaly refused to fire up. I've fitted new combustion chambers to accomodate heater plugs, (all supplied by Finnings) only to find that the connectors for these early type plugs are no longer available. :doh:
If anyone has any connectors to push onto a 7mm. pin please give me a shout. :?: :?:
I made new mounting bracket etc. for the hydraulic tank, and spent this afternoon freeing off the controls.
955 12A.jpg

I've still got to wire the heater plug circuit and they hope to get her painted in time to go with my Fowler33 to the local show on May 5/6. ;)
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: International and Cat. projects.

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:55 pm

Think of it as a hobby Fred then you won't be so concerned about retirement. :lol: :claphands: Well if your enjoying yourself keep it up :thumbup:

Jeremy

martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Yes Fred, a 125 steering clutch :lol: .The one Barry got off me.It also has tight tracks.The chains are like new.It had been stood for five years.It had plenty of power though when I give it a work out.
I shall bee keeping an eye on that project as its a tidy machine that will look great with the root fork.I have also traced the history of its working life.
Martyn
PS I may pick up the mag on Sunday as I am over the bridge.

Mark.Rive

Post #4 by Mark.Rive » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Great post Fred, (as always). Please keep us posted :thumbup: Thanks Mark

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:56 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:Yes Fred, a 125 steering clutch :lol: .The one Barry got off me.It also has tight tracks.The chains are like new.It had been stood for five years.It had plenty of power though when I give it a work out.
I shall bee keeping an eye on that project as its a tidy machine that will look great with the root fork.I have also traced the history of its working life.
Martyn
PS I may pick up the mag on Sunday as I am over the bridge.

Hi Martyn, Jeremy and Mark,
Thanks for the replys. :thumbup:
This is purely a hobby for me now and I do enjoy it. I've been lucky enough to have done something I've enjoyed all my working life. :D
Great if you can pick up that mag. for us Martyn, It'll save someone a journy, I don't think it's ready though.
The Drott I'm expecting to do is not your old 125, (that one may be allong later), :lol: this one's from Neath. I'll keep you posted.
Fred

martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:19 am

The mag was being worked on yesterday,he is trying to get hold of some parts for it,I have a good contact in Maine USA that may be able to help.I am heading to Bristol within the hour.
Martyn
Update on mag Fred,mag 99% done,I am trying to find an advance retard lever for it.If we can get hold of one,I will be up there next week :thumbup:

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #7 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi All,
Just a post to say thanks for your interest, and that the TD 18 "IS" an on-going project.
Since the last post I had the mag. back and got her running without too much trouble. :thumbup:
When on diesel she was missing on No.5, there'd been water in the injector pump. :thumbdown:
I thought I'd got it sorted when I removed and freed off the seized No.5 delivery valve., but the pump element had also seized and I had to send it to be overhauled.
This took months :!: not only were parts difficult, but they had to make a set of nuts to makeup injector pipes to attatch the 1942 pump to the callibrating machine. :doh:
Since then the rad and nose has been off to replace the hydraulic pump drive an I'm piping up the hydraulics with all new hoses at the moment.
Hopefully that just leaves a service, a bit of pannel repair and the paint job.
The picture below was taken last week.
Will try to keep you better posted.
Fred
00982_Capture.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #8 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi,
TD18 starting ok, (Petrol), and running on diesel at last. :thumbup: :thumbup:
TD18 Diesel side.jpg
TD18 Petrol side.jpg
TD18 ready to run..jpg

martyn williams

Post #9 by martyn williams » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:13 pm

I may pop up to Barry's yard next week as I an in Ponty on Tuesday Fred
Martyn

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #10 by FOWLER MAN » Thu May 01, 2014 1:04 am

I know its been a while now but just to say the TD18 project is still alive and well and I'll soon be back on the job.
In the meantime she has a couple of new stable companions in the form of an old D6 and an Allis Chalmers shovel.
01605_Capture.jpg

The Allis has only the one reverse gear which dates it pre 1954. It has a 2 Cyl. GM engine which sounds beautifull.
01606_Capture.jpg
01604_Capture.jpg

I was always accepted that Allis were the first to produce a good track loader . Look at the design of these loader arms and considder it appeared 5 years or so before the Cat HT4.

Return to “Projects”