Ruston Bucyrus 38RB

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

gah1950
Flag: Wales

Re: Ruston Bucyrus 38RB

Post #11 by gah1950 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:35 pm

hello frank.
i noticed that you are in waterford do you know of the history on the green coloured 54-rb that came from cahir to the uk for onward shipment,i once passed a 54-rb i think near carlow a few years ago when i was heading for rosslare.
graham.

Topic author
38RBSII

Post #12 by 38RBSII » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:57 pm

franco wrote:Hello Matt.
That pic of your 38 brings me back twenty five years to when I worked one similar to yours (6/71 powered) and a Dorman powered one before that- the Dorman was a good engine but there's nothing like the sound of a Detroit!

Frank,

Were those face shovels too?

Matt.

franco

Post #13 by franco » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:49 pm

gah1950 wrote:hello frank.
i noticed that you are in waterford do you know of the history on the green coloured 54-rb that came from cahir to the uk for onward shipment,i once passed a 54-rb i think near carlow a few years ago when i was heading for rosslare.
graham.

Hello Graham,
Though I'm not familiar with that particular machine I do know that Roadstone had a 54 shovel working in a quarry in the carlow/kilkenny area around the time I worked for them( around 1985)...however there is a retired quarry foreman living localy who may have some info on that machine- he only goes to the pub on the weekend, so I'll just have to meet him there! :D
Frank.

franco

Post #14 by franco » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:00 pm

38RBSII wrote:
franco wrote:Hello Matt.
That pic of your 38 brings me back twenty five years to when I worked one similar to yours (6/71 powered) and a Dorman powered one before that- the Dorman was a good engine but there's nothing like the sound of a Detroit!

Frank,

Were those face shovels too?

Matt.

Hi Matt,
Yes, both of them were- I don't know where the Dorman powered one came from, but I'm pretty certain the later Detroit powered one came from a quarry in Wales- incidently it arrived with it's own RB fitter/guru, a man called Paddy Wickham who stayed for a day or two to make sure it was working ok.
Frank.

Topic author
38RBSII

Post #15 by 38RBSII » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:20 am

Frank,

So you are an ex Roadstone man? Funnily enough, that's who I bought my machine from.

Matt.

franco

Post #16 by franco » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:55 pm

Matt,
It would be a hell of a coincidence :D !....I do know that the Detroit powered one was retired a few months after I left and an Ackermann replaced it, the Dorman powered one having long since been broken for parts.

Franco.

Return to “Projects”