Scammell

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
howard.alan

Scammell

Post #1 by howard.alan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 pm

i will be repainting my scammell junior constructor this winter and would like to put it into a former livery to which the Scammell worked for, which was Wimpey does any one know the true colour code for the wimpey colour as i see that a few models on sale are in a yellow but to my knowledge the wimpey colour was an orange from what i remember as a kid, The truck would have worked for wimpey in the late 60s

ruston 29

Re: Scammell

Post #2 by ruston 29 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:17 pm

hi alan ,I think the correct colour that you are looking for is "fluk yellow" the paint code is "ral 1140".I got the code from a gentleman who has restored a wimpey leyland roadtrain, What is the registration no of your scammell ? i would appreciate any info as i worked for wimpeys in the seventies and have built up a massive collection of wimpey models mainly scratchbuilt and photos,it's a shame ther are not more wimpey lorries in preservation , hope this helps regards ian

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Martyn Henley » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi Ian .. Good to see you on here at last... welcome to CMN :thumbup:

Martyn

BulldozerD11

Post #4 by BulldozerD11 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:37 pm

Heres a photo of the Wimpey Roadtrain seen at the finish of the HCVS Transpennine run 2010.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
howard.alan

Post #5 by howard.alan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:09 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help in this iam just wondering if that particular colour would be too new for my scammell as it was built in 1957 new to pickfords then purchased by wimpey in the late 60s so iam not sure if the colour above would be right for my scammell, the reg is UXC 611, I have heard that wimpey did actually use yellow and black in the 50s and 60s, more help would be very greatly received as i would like to get the colour right for this period in wimpeys history

BulldozerD11

Post #6 by BulldozerD11 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:58 am

howard.alan wrote:Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help in this iam just wondering if that particular colour would be too new for my scammell as it was built in 1957 new to pickfords then purchased by wimpey in the late 60s so iam not sure if the colour above would be right for my scammell, the reg is UXC 611, I have heard that wimpey did actually use yellow and black in the 50s and 60s, more help would be very greatly received as i would like to get the colour right for this period in wimpeys history

You could be right Howard as in the 70's I vaguely recall having a Corgi Model of a truck in yellow and a quick web search bring up a load of Corgi models of Wimpey vehicles including this one of a Scammell with low loader in yellow - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JC-Corgi-17702-Wimpey-Scammell-ConstructorX2-Trailer-/110585684493?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item19bf6ba20d Not sure when they changes to the 'orange / brick clay' shade.
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by XS650 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:53 pm

When I worked for Wimpeys in the 70's the colour was always referred to as 'Wimpey Gold'.
Not many people seem to get this colour right on models or restorations. Strangely a lot of their plant was painted a mid green with Wimpey lettering on a yellow background.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
howard.alan

Post #8 by howard.alan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:28 pm

cool starting to get some where dont expect any one would know the colour code for wimpey gold at all

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #9 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:37 pm

XS650 wrote:When I worked for Wimpeys in the 70's the colour was always referred to as 'Wimpey Gold'.
Not many people seem to get this colour right on models or restorations. Strangely a lot of their plant was painted a mid green with Wimpey lettering on a yellow background.

Hi, Is this any help.
Fred
img109.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
howard.alan

Post #10 by howard.alan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:03 am

thanks fred very much so if any one has any more it would be much appreciated regards Alan

Return to “Projects”