Challenger project

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

vfinau

Re: Challenger project

Post #31 by vfinau » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:15 am

Hi Don the second photo is that the one that we were bidding on ? looks alot better in your photos than the ones on ebay.

marshallmp6

Post #32 by marshallmp6 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:37 am

:wave: Some more photos. Have any of you ever seen a Challenger 3 with "Fluid Drive" :?: See photo No 1. Yes Fred and Dave I have accumulated a few Marshall/Fowler machines over the years. It all started when my father bought a new Fowler VF (one of the first in QLD) a few weeks before I came on the scene in 1949. Not withstanding their various idiosyncrasies we have stuck with them ever since. I think it is something to do with the thick black stuff that they use to lubricate the bearings etc..... it gets into the blood and becomes addictive. I have about 25 machines now (not counting various bones) either restored or to be restored but we would have had around 100 all up over the years. The Challenger 3 No. 836 is a fluid drive model, it has a Vulcan Sinclair fluid coupling on the flywheel then the Leyland spring clutch after that. This is the only one that I recall ever seeing but there were a few about apparently. The Challenger 4 was also advertised with this option but I haven't seen one in the flesh. Cheers Don.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by marshallmp6 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

marshallmp6

Post #33 by marshallmp6 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:31 am

Fred...... the Challenger 4 is direct electric start .... 2 x 6'' 24volt CAV axial starter motors, 1 each side. My 3s are also both electric. The Challenger 1;3 and 4 were all advertised with the pilot motor start but I have never seen any with this in Australia, that is not to say there are none here but they would appear much rarer than electric. The Leyland motor would also seem more common than the Meadows in the Chall 3 but there certainly are Meadows about. I doubt if there was much difference in quality or reliability of the engines but I think it would be fair to say the Leyland had the better service and parts backup at that time. Thanks for the Challenger info, this pretty much confirms my obversations and information received over many years of association with Marshall/Fowler machines. The Challenger 3 had a fairly good reputation in Australia but was not well marketed either by the local distributors or by Marshalls. The Challenger 4 was not quite so reliable but Australian conditions are fairly harsh and Aussie operators were well known for their ability to find a weakness in a machine that nobody else could. Cheers Don.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #34 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:59 pm

Hi Don,
Verry interesting. Thanks for the photos. and your reply.
I did'nt know that Fowlers produced Challenger3's or 4's with "Fluid Drive". There were quite a few machines in the 1950's/60's which used a "Fluid Drive" coupled to a conventional clutch and gearbox, one that comes to mind is in Foden dump trucks.
I have only ever seen two Challenger 4's and both had direct electric start. I didn't know they ever offered pilot engine start on the 3's.
I agree there was probably little difference in quality of build between the Meadows and Leyland engines, possibly Meadows had the edge, but Leyland spares availability and service was better over here too.
Reading your posts and others from "Down Under" there are more Challengers surviving with you than here.
Thanks again and good luck.
Fred

marshallmp6

Post #35 by marshallmp6 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:02 am

A publicity shot of a Challenger 4 with Australian blade :) With regards to your comments Fred about not knowing that Fowlers ever produced a fluid drive you could be right. I had always assumed that this was a Leeds production but in recent years I have started to wonder if it was in fact an Australian addition. The engineering is quite well done but looks "different" to normal Fowler work and I suspect that it may have been added by the Australian distributors :think: :? Interesting ????? Cheers Don.
:D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by marshallmp6 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

martyn williams

Post #36 by martyn williams » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:42 pm

I am mainly interested in Internationals and Caterpillar, but after having visited Fred to see the Challenger,I am impressed by its build and its size.
Martyn

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #37 by FOWLER MAN » Fri May 20, 2011 5:58 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:I am mainly interested in Internationals and Caterpillar, but after having visited Fred to see the Challenger,I am impressed by its build and its size.
Martyn

Hi All,
I've finaly found some time, :thumbup: (and money), ;) to work on the challenger again this week.
The engine is finished and running well, :claphands: I'm welding and filling the pannels ready to go back on.
The rest of the tractor is OK. so it's prep work for painting now, and I've got to make some new battery boxes.
Here are some progress pics' from today and for those who dont know the Fowlers, some to show the build which impressed Martyn.
Fred
004 (3).JPG
CHALLENGER 33 006.JPG
CHALLENGER 33 004.JPG
005 (2).JPG
012.JPG
013.JPG
016.JPG

martyn williams

Post #38 by martyn williams » Fri May 20, 2011 8:08 pm

She is taking shape Fred :thumbup: Have you decided what to do with the battery boxes Fred ? plate or trim them down ?
See you Saturday :thumbup:
Martyn

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #39 by FOWLER MAN » Tue May 31, 2011 11:32 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:She is taking shape Fred :thumbup: Have you decided what to do with the battery boxes Fred ? plate or trim them down ?
See you Saturday :thumbup:
Martyn

Hello again,
I'm going to make new battery boxes to keep it original, but it will be one of the last jobs to do.
Made a bit more progress, had a bad attack of tinworm in the bulkhead at the rear of the engine so I've repaired that and sand blasted all the bits before they went back on.
Blew some primer on the front end today, using the stuff they use on theelectricity pylons, seems pretty good.
Ive got the Fowler orange coming this week. :thumbup:
Had a bit of luck at the Abergavenny show Sunday, bought a new temp. guage with the long cappilliary as original for £4-50. :D :D
Here are some Photos from the last week. :thumbup:

Repairing the bulkhead pannel. :thumbup:
019.JPG
021.JPG
023.JPG
022.JPG

Todays photos. :thumbup: :thumbup:
001 (2).JPG
004 (4).JPG
006 (3).JPG

Next job is to take the tank off and sort out the back end. :thumbdown: Only sandblasting under the tank and paint I hope. :think:
Fred

Jeremy Rowland

Post #40 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue May 31, 2011 11:35 pm

Looking good there Fred :claphands: :bow: can't wait to see it finished.

Jeremy

Return to “Projects”