Rebuilding 10RB

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
billh

Rebuilding 10RB

Post #1 by billh » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Hello All,
New to here, so I hope this first post is in the right place.
Just started a major overhaul of a 1949 built Ruston Bucyrus 10RB. This machine was originally a face shovel but has been used as a crane with 30ft boom for the last 25years. The engine is a Ruston & Hornsby 3VRH and is in good running order, the machinery all works but there is a lot of wear ( after 61years!) in the control linkages and clutches. It has power lowering boom.
Most of the cab steel work has disintegrated and we are planning to make the various panels ,copying what's left of the old ones. The cab is the old flat fronted type with "Georgian" style small windows in the left side and cab door. The windscreen is 3 horizontal glasses.
A couple of questions......
What would be the original colour scheme, internally and externally? Inside seems to have been dark green , in some parts but cream (or white,or grey) in others. Outside ,possibly maroon all over, but no real idea. It was certainly not the later maroon/ sand .
Secondly, there is a lot of wear on the conical rollers in the truck frame. Does anyone know a source of oversize rollers, something like plus a quarter inch? I know these were available at one time . Perhaps another way of taking up this wear?
Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bill

usedjcbdave
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Rebuilding 10RB

Post #2 by usedjcbdave » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi Bill,any pictures of it ?

Topic author
billh

Post #3 by billh » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Hello,
A picture can be found here:
http://diggers-dumpers-plant.co.uk/Archive8.htm#10RB

and this is one we prepared earlier:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=24586
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Martyn Henley » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Greetings Bill .. and a big welcome to CMN :thumbup:

I cant be sure, but i think RB used to use Lincoln green as the main colour for the old type superstructure ... however could it be that your machine has been painted in the owners colours .. ... the 22 looks good :thumbup:

Martyn

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Hello Bill
Welcome to CMN, I love 10 and 22 RB's . :thumbup:
Looking forward to your input to CMN.
Regards
Martyn

Nick Drew

Post #6 by Nick Drew » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Welcome to CMN Bill :thumbup:

I know you will enjoy your time here :bow:

Nick :thumbup:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi Bill welcome to CMN. :wave:

I can show a couple of pictures of old RB10's that are now in preservation, I hope this gives you some idea of the colour scheme. I would expect that parts are still available from somewhere if not then its a "get some made time"
I'm sure a bit of net research will turn up a good link for you. Back to the colour scheme I seam to recall an article on one of these machines in a back issue of CP&M and that machine was in Lincoln green.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BulldozerD11

Post #8 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:23 am

Try the people at the Vintage Excavator Trust at Threkeld in Cumbria as they have a number of early RB machines up in the quarry there and are restoring several more.

They dont have a web site as such as far as i know at the moment but some info is on the mining museums web site.

There are photos of a number of the machines up there on the Tractor and Construction Plant Wiki web site (link below). Sorry canot repost any of my photos as non on this pc.
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
billh

Post #9 by billh » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:35 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome and useful information.
Studying the various pictures and a video of the 10RB skimmer at Threlkeld it looks like the machine should be middle green with white(!) roof and window frames . The boom and truck frame should be the dark green (Lincoln?) as seen on later 10s and 22s. Interior should be cream, though the engine would soon be dirty and oil covered. ( Yes, I know it shouldn't leak oil) . Engine is currently grey/red oxide/black oil but it was taken out for major overhaul in 1959 so might have got a new paint scheme then.
Now, about those conical rollers..........
Bill

td1

Post #10 by td1 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:11 am

f.p. mc cann of Knocklogrim co. derry have what i think is a restored rb 10 at the front of their yard which is painted green...i think the machine is restored though I never had a chance to get a nosey around it

Return to “Projects”