Rebuilding 10RB

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.
User avatar

alchemist
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:07 pm
Real name: martin murray

Re: Rebuilding 10RB

Post #11 by alchemist » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:14 pm

billh wrote:Hello All,
New to here, so I hope this first post is in the right place.
Just started a major overhaul of a 1949 built Ruston Bucyrus 10RB. This machine was originally a face shovel but has been used as a crane with 30ft boom for the last 25years. The engine is a Ruston & Hornsby 3VRH and is in good running order, the machinery all works but there is a lot of wear ( after 61years!) in the control linkages and clutches. It has power lowering boom.
Most of the cab steel work has disintegrated and we are planning to make the various panels ,copying what's left of the old ones. The cab is the old flat fronted type with "Georgian" style small windows in the left side and cab door. The windscreen is 3 horizontal glasses.
A couple of questions......
What would be the original colour scheme, internally and externally? Inside seems to have been dark green , in some parts but cream (or white,or grey) in others. Outside ,possibly maroon all over, but no real idea. It was certainly not the later maroon/ sand .
Secondly, there is a lot of wear on the conical rollers in the truck frame. Does anyone know a source of oversize rollers, something like plus a quarter inch? I know these were available at one time . Perhaps another way of taking up this wear?
Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bill

8-) hi there, hope alls going well with the build, i can help a little here as my father owns ruston bucyrus ltd, under Paul Murray plant and equipment, and refurbs R.B's currently he has 9x 10rb's in stock, 2x for breaking and one fully restored for sale.
colours for machine are as follows:-
Machinery/engine-aircraft grey
front cab/roof - cream-using B/L enamel code 10C31
Sides - brilliant green(will have to get code)
undercarriage -black enamel
machinery guards - p/o red
If using the maroon on a build the colour is wild berries strong base code 17587
these are taken from original paint codings from ruston bucyrus ltd
the swing/conical rollers you need, at the last count, we had some available, again, shall have to check stock, or ring Paul Murray on 07831144463, alternatively, 0161,431,4139,

Martin Murray.

User avatar

Holger
Site Admin
Posts: 5549
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:13 pm
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 115 times
Flag: Sweden

Re: Rebuilding 10RB

Post #12 by Holger » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:21 am

Very welcome to CMN Martin!
Some resources:
How-To

User avatar

alchemist
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:07 pm
Real name: martin murray

Re: Rebuilding 10RB

Post #13 by alchemist » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:21 pm

Image
URL of the original image: http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/madoffroad/10rb.jpg

heres a 10rb restored in original colour and currently for sale


Martyn Henley
Moderator
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:54 am
Real name: martyn henley
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 47 times
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Rebuilding 10RB

Post #14 by Martyn Henley » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:55 pm

Hi Martin .. and i must say a big warm welcome to CMN :thumbup:

May i ask if your family also owns the name of RB International or was that part of the package ?


How do you do for spares apart from getting spares off scrap machines ?

Martyn


martyn williams
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:06 pm
Real name: MARTYN WILLIAMS
Location: South Wales
Has thanked: 296 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Rebuilding 10RB

Post #15 by martyn williams » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Its great to have Martin Murray on board. :thumbup:
Could you post some photos of the machines that you have restored.CMN membership would love to see them.I am a big R B fan myself.
Martyn

User avatar

alchemist
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:07 pm
Real name: martin murray

Re: Rebuilding 10RB

Post #16 by alchemist » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Martyn Henley wrote:Hi Martin .. and i must say a big warm welcome to CMN :thumbup:

May i ask if your family also owns the name of RB International or was that part of the package ?


How do you do for spares apart from getting spares off scrap machines ?

Martyn


hi there, no we dont own RB international, this is a total seperate identity and should not bear any resemblance to the Ruston Bucyrus name, although my father knows the owners. Spare parts have been bought over the last 20years and currently hold stock of new/s/hand stock for models including 10/22 rb, although new stock is mainly roller/clutch assemblies and so on including around 16 complete machines in various state.
recently i was talking to my father about possible merchandise/clothing bearing our logo, obviously we hold the patent, it would be interesting to hear thoughts on this.
cheers
Martin.


martyn williams
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:06 pm
Real name: MARTYN WILLIAMS
Location: South Wales
Has thanked: 296 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Rebuilding 10RB

Post #17 by martyn williams » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:06 pm

I think it would be a good idea to produce T shirts,hats and mugs showing 10 and 22 R B's on them. I am sure they would sell well .
Martyn


gah1950
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:18 pm
Real name: Graham
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 13 times
Flag: Wales

Re: Rebuilding 10RB

Post #18 by gah1950 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:01 pm

hello bill.
have you thought about getting the cone rollers off and have them built up and reprofiling them,possibly the lift could be in the cone roller bushes as well. just a thought.
regards graham.


Topic author
billh
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:06 pm
Real name: Bill Holmes

Re: Rebuilding 10RB

Post #19 by billh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:07 am

gah1950 wrote:hello bill.
have you thought about getting the cone rollers off and have them built up and reprofiling them,possibly the lift could be in the cone roller bushes as well. just a thought.
regards graham.

Hi Graham,
Yes, but it looks like quite a job. It isn't so much lift that is needed, the problem is the machine rocks about when swinging because of the excess wear on the rollers , so they rattle between the top and bottom of the track.This then creates the extra problem of wear on the seal on the vertical propel shaft so the oil won't stay in the swing/propel gear case. Oversize rollers are what's needed and it looks like Martin M. has the solution.
Thanks
Bill


Topic author
billh
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:06 pm
Real name: Bill Holmes

Re: Rebuilding 10RB

Post #20 by billh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:33 am

alchemist wrote:
billh wrote:Hello All,

8-) hi there, hope alls going well with the build, i can help a little here as my father owns ruston bucyrus ltd, under Paul Murray plant and equipment, and refurbs R.B's currently he has 9x 10rb's in stock, 2x for breaking and one fully restored for sale.
colours for machine are as follows:-
Machinery/engine-aircraft grey
front cab/roof - cream-using B/L enamel code 10C31
Sides - brilliant green(will have to get code)
undercarriage -black enamel
machinery guards - p/o red
If using the maroon on a build the colour is wild berries strong base code 17587
these are taken from original paint codings from ruston bucyrus ltd
the swing/conical rollers you need, at the last count, we had some available, again, shall have to check stock, or ring Paul Murray on 07831144463, alternatively, 0161,431,4139,

Martin Murray.

Hello Martin,
Fantastic news! First because of the useful information you have provided. Second, because Ruston Bucyrus Ltd /Paul Murray is only 10 minutes away from where our machine is being fettled! I will be in touch soon.
We have now dismantled the cab , didn't take long aided by gravity. We have taken both floor plates off , the left one will have to be replaced , the right floor with the control levers can be repaired. We now find that there is severe corrosion of the frame right hand side where the boom pivot and rh front conical roller are mounted. Some serious welding required.Don't know why only the rhs is affected- very odd.
The next job is take off the 2 drum shaft assemblies and sort out the filthy swing/propel gear case, then make it oil tight and replace the vertical shaft seal(s)
Regards
Bill


Return to “Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests