Rebuilding 10RB

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
billh

Re: Rebuilding 10RB

Post #31 by billh » Sat May 04, 2013 11:13 pm

Latest update on the re-build.....
I took the rear drum shaft and gear to a local locomotive repairer- unfortunately , despite my specific instruction, they tried to press the gear off in the wrong direction on their "400" tonne wheel press. I am unsure whether they have destroyed it completely , lost it or both! Whatever, we are now having to use a rather worn spare, so now re-assembling the clutches, drums etc . The shaft wear means the swing clutch rattles around somewhat, it remains to be seen how well it works. Meanwhile repairs to the right hand undercarriage is nearing completion- frame had some welding, new pins on the track rollers, new shafts made for the idler and driving sprockets,bushes bored out and sleeved. Should be able to get the track back on very soon, then we start on the other side. ....
Bill

Newboy
Flag: Great Britain

Post #32 by Newboy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Do you have any further updates or photos of the 10RB.

navvyfitter
Flag: Great Britain

Post #33 by navvyfitter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi Bill,
The transmission gears were shrunk onto the drum shaft, which was EN24, heat treated after machining and finish ground to fine limits.
Metal spraying or building up with weld on the worn areas will alter the tensile strength of the steel and is unlikely to bond successfully to the worn surface. The shrink fit is necessary to stop the gear “fretting” on the shaft and becoming loose.
Regards,
Steve.

TiborM
Flag: Slovakia

Post #34 by TiborM » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm from Slovakia, I'm interested in old excavators.
Please have someone drawing a side view of Ruston Bucyrus 10-RB with square cabin, (for example from a sales book)? I bought a spare parts catalog, but there is no side view of the machine, nor a drawing of a drag shovel. I would also like to see a sketch of a drag shovel.
Thank!
Regards,
Tibor

Return to “Projects”