carnage 3ciii

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Re: carnage 3ciii

Post #51 by Holger » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:21 pm

Sadly many pictures have disappeared (first post and following pages).
Do you maybe still have the photos?
Some resources:
How-To

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

Post #52 by MrF » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:04 am

Yes, I just had changes on my hosting server (I migrated from the old phpgallery to a flat file gallery because of security concerns), I'll see if I can fix some of the links.

Topic author
MrF

Post #53 by MrF » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:06 pm

Sorry Holger, they were hosted on Facebook and they removed my account some time ago under their "real" name policy. I've had a look around and it seems I don't have as much as I thought I did locally, but I'll keep looking.

I pulled the head off today, the liner hasn't slipped, there's only water in 1 & 2 it seems, and its bent one of the brand new pushrods on #2. So its completely inconclusive yet again though it probably bent the pushrod when it hydrolocked trying to open the inlet valve against pressure.

Matchless?58
Flag: Great Britain

Post #54 by Matchless?58 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:55 pm

What rotten luck . I really feel for you with this motor . When you eventually get it right it will probably run on for years with no problems . I had a grey fergie tractor which really tried my patience it was one problem after another , when I finally got it running right I only kept it for a year or two after the resto . I guess I was just fed up with it .
Hope you get to the bottom of the problem
Regards Chris

Topic author
MrF

Post #55 by MrF » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:47 pm

All the parts have arrived, but I got distracted by a kubota Fz2400 commercial mower with the D1105 3 cylinder diesel. We bought it to cut the grass to give my Massey Harris pony a rest from dragging a massive topper around all summer and I wanted something the wife/offspring could drive fairly safely as it has a ROPS bar and seatbelt, safeties etc. Predictably we bought one needing work for much less because well, budget, smoking black smoke and barely able to drive under its own power let alone drive the cutting deck/massive hydraulic grass collector.
Happily after a learning & diy diesel pump rebuild, removal of the dirty heating oil from the fuel tank and new filters all round, and making up a new kubota pto clutch from cutting plates out of generic pto clutch plates on the lathe/bandsaw, it now hums like a sewing machine all day. I think the 3c had prepared me to work on it.
I also bought a pop tester to test the kubota injectors and a gauge to test release pressure on the pump, and while I was at it, it turns out I have 2 bad injectors on the 3c, one is dribbling under pressure and the other doesn't have a good spray pattern. So I'll sort that out also.
Distraction over, and now bonus I don't have to stop to cut the grass myself in future.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #56 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:32 pm

Well done Phil :claphands: still progress one way or the other. :D

Jeremy

Topic author
MrF

Post #57 by MrF » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:10 am

Not much done, but I did get the old sleeves out safely. I popped out one from a spare head to check dimensions of the original sleeves, then turned a stub of steel in the lathe to have a od a mm under the od of the sleeve, and "threaded" it with just a random tpi and using a diamond insert for the thread profile then just cut four slots with a disc and ground a little taper in freehand. It will probably confuse whoever gets my junk pile as to what its supposed to fit and what thread form it is.
Original URL: http://gallery.pipandphil.com/Vehicles/workshop/jcb_injector_tap.jpg

Then I just wound it into the injector sleeves and could pop them out by tapping a drift through the injector hole in the chamber. Number #2 cylinder span when I was winding the "tap" in and that is the one that had bad water ingress so I hope this is the culprit.

Topic author
MrF

Post #58 by MrF » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:07 pm

Injectors tonight, first two I stripped and cleaned up in the ultrasonic bath with warm diesel/tfr then cleaned off & reassembled with clean diesel only.
Original URL: http://gallery.pipandphil.com/Vehicles/workshop/jcb_injector_beforeafter.jpg

After this they seem to be holding the pressure without dribbling now, although one doesn't sing when pumped the same so probably it needs a new pintle although its atomising a nice pattern like the others. I think the gauge might be off on the pop tester, because the good ones were all cracking off at 3000 psi, rather than the 2600 (150 atm's) in the book. So I set them back on the high side (2900 psi). If I find another gauge capable of the pressure to back off to, I'll check the calibration of the gauge, but for 80 quid, I won't be shocked if its a lot out, and it needed ptfe on the adjustment knob thread before it was really usable for leakage testing.
Original URL: http://gallery.pipandphil.com/Vehicles/workshop/jcb_injector_setting.jpg

Of course my ocd kicked in and I had to do all 4 because the other too looked so grubby next to them.
Lower sections were quite pitted on 3, so I cleaned them up with some emery paper so it didnt cause them to snag/not seal into the injector sleeves.
Original URL: http://gallery.pipandphil.com/Vehicles/workshop/jcb_injectors_after.jpg

Ocd has also meant I bothered to test the valves for leakage properly, and a couple are weeping when I left diesel in the ports overnight and it on its side so I'll have them out tomorrow and give them a coat of looking at before the head goes back on. Maybe I'll pick up the extra psi on my lower cylinders compression test!

Jeremy Rowland

Post #59 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:56 pm

Nowt wrong with a bit of OCD :thumbup: at least you are doing your best to sort out the issue.

Jeremy

Topic author
MrF

Post #60 by MrF » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:24 pm

Thanks, I'm trying to make it better this time rather than rushing to meet some deadline. Though my budget is still tighter than a gnats chuff sadly.

Stripped the valves out. 2 inlet and all 4 exhaust guides are really worn, in the worst, the valve head can wobble by about 3mm once off the seat and the guide looked oval to the eye. So I stripped the "bad" head expecting same but the guides were ok in that one. It also has 2 of four updated design injector sleeves mixed with 2 normal ones but its a donor head because its been welded, and seeps coolant around the weld in one place.
So I stripped valves from both and guides from the donor, and assessed what I had then cleaned up the bits to go in.
Original URL: http://gallery.pipandphil.com/Vehicles/workshop/jcb_valves_kitform.jpg

Beer flowed, valve seats were lightly cut then lapped, and then afterwards I assembled the head with a small amount of threebond on the woodruff keys and new stem seals (though describing rubber washers with no seal lips or gaiter springs as seals is stretching it a bit...), so it can go back on tomorrow now.
Original URL: http://gallery.pipandphil.com/Vehicles/workshop/jcb_emptyhead.jpg

Return to “Projects”