carnage 3ciii

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

Re: carnage 3ciii

Post #161 by MrF » Sun May 02, 2021 10:40 am

Yeah the cab is rough, but by now most are really unless someone has fixed them or it led a charmed life. Even the good cab on the 3c2 had grot in a few places hiding when it was removed but fortunately not in any areas that affected it as a repair donor (its mostly the same form just shorter in places. I can lengthen the rear window frame as its the same angles but shorter and I have the missing opening door trim but not the door upper. Then the main problem will be replacement glass, possibly I'll have to use lexan or something if nothing appears but it will keep the weather out better than what I have.

I know Julian Carder/Steelfab I think it is on here had whole new cabs made for serious restoration projects, not my budget but if someone were to start selling repair sections like happens in the car resto world, then I imagine that would be of use for a few people. The cab corners and the straight sections of the lowest part of the cab as a repair kit then it could cover all the 3c cab variants, and people could cut in only the parts that are bad on theirs. That would be awesome if anyone has folding and stamping capacity spare...

Jeremy Rowland

Post #162 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 02, 2021 10:55 am

MrF wrote:Yeah the cab is rough, but by now most are really unless someone has fixed them or it led a charmed life. Even the good cab on the 3c2 had grot in a few places hiding when it was removed but fortunately not in any areas that affected it as a repair donor (its mostly the same form just shorter in places. I can lengthen the rear window frame as its the same angles but shorter and I have the missing opening door trim but not the door upper. Then the main problem will be replacement glass, possibly I'll have to use lexan or something if nothing appears but it will keep the weather out better than what I have.

I know Julian Carder/Steelfab I think it is on here had whole new cabs made for serious restoration projects, not my budget but if someone were to start selling repair sections like happens in the car resto world, then I imagine that would be of use for a few people. The cab corners and the straight sections of the lowest part of the cab as a repair kit then it could cover all the 3c cab variants, and people could cut in only the parts that are bad on theirs. That would be awesome if anyone has folding and stamping capacity spare...

Phil I think that if there was a fabrication business with spare capacity to turn out some cabs for some of the more popular items of plant they would have a nice little business going, the trouble is the profit margins are too tight, Julian does get some cab parts fabricated and perhaps the odd cab here and there but I would guess that the cost for this is still high and would put off many people except genuine enthusiasts.

Jeremy

Topic author
MrF

Post #163 by MrF » Sun May 02, 2021 8:41 pm

Yes I did ask Steelfab about cab sections previous but he didn't have the profiles for the ROHPs cab like mine, only whole replacement cabs. I didn't think I justify the price of a whole cab + shipping made to his standards, for what is at the end of the day a (getting less over time) battered old JCB 3C3 so having the bits to weld in from the other cab is a saving grace for me although I still have no glass, so will probably have to make do with lexan or something. I don't think whole cabs would be economic for tightwads like me as you say but maybe the lower profiles as repair sections or something could be. I don't have a press or suitable folder to make them myself.

Today I got the pins in the front bucket by shifting the bucket about with the forklift & the clamshell hoses straightened out & hooked up & went over everything with the grease gun and did tyre pressures & levels, final checking I had pin locking bolts in everything etc.
Also fitted the rear bucket control cover and trimmed it up to suit the differences in the 3c3 layout as it originally came from the 3c2 then had a yard tidy up to round off the weekend.
Now I have to go back to work in the week, so not much will happen for a while probably. But it pays for the toys to fix the toys.

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Post #164 by Slooby » Sun May 02, 2021 11:50 pm

MrF wrote:Now I have to go back to work in the week, so not much will happen for a while probably. But it pays for the toys to fix the toys.

Amen to that!
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
MrF

Post #165 by MrF » Mon May 10, 2021 10:41 am

Not much happened at the weekend of note, except saturday used the 3c to move some muck and it cut out completely and refused to restart. Though pressing the cold start button would make it fire for a couple of turns, I don't know how that enrichment button works but perhaps it bypasses something that got air in it if that's a clue. I couldn't get it to bleed back up so ended up stripping things in the garden on a bank & fitted new filter elements and changed some olives. After that it bled up and started easily but it still has the odd misfire and wandering idle. I will have to bite the bullet and go through the injectors/pump for the culprit I think. And the brakes are still terrible, they won't hold the machine on the steeper of our banks. Good job there's a bucket at each end to drop in a emergency when the engine cuts out and it starts sliding down backwards towards the stream at the bottom.

In a happier development I also have fixed the forklifts poor starting. I noticed when priming it that there was a little wetness on the filter head (it has a rotodiesel type with a prime button built right into the filter head) so replaced the filter head assembly on sat (they're only 30e for the whole assembly), then noticed yesterday it was starting easily without needing to be re-primed & today confirmed it with a cold start, 5 seconds of heat and it fired up straight away.

essexpete

Post #166 by essexpete » Mon May 10, 2021 6:46 pm

Phil this may not work but I have run some ATF through the fuel systems of more than one machine in the past and the lube/cleaning effect has helped.
One was a Perkins 6.354 and the other a Ford tractor engine.
Looking at you cab are the pillars up fairly sound? On our Mk111 the rear lower cross member rotted out. I used a fine disc to remove the member an slotted in a piece of heavier box steel. I then gas welded (ever had mig) the pillars to the box. Obviously the side members would be more tricky and look more odd as they slope.

Topic author
MrF

Post #167 by MrF » Mon May 10, 2021 11:18 pm

For the cab lowers, at the rear in the worst place theyre ok-ish just above the bottom rail apart from a ding in one halfway up but I managed to cut the lowermost section from the wrecked mk2 cab as repair pieces so it can keep the profile right. I can tig the pieces in.

For the pump I should try cracking the injector lines at higher rpm and see if I can hear a difference between cylinders at that higher rpm.
If so, I'm not against taking it off and spending a bit getting it recalibrated properly at a local diesel service centre with a test bench
but the last thing Id want to do is take the pump off, pay have it cleaned/checked and them find nothing, remount it and find the machine still runs like crap.

I'll happily run atf through it first and see if it cleans/lubricates something back into life as a easier option. I should take the injectors out and pop test them too. Perhaps one has a low crack off pressure and its changing injection timing as rpm comes up or something. I could live with the weird idle if it wasn't trying to shake itself to pieces at higher revs.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #168 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue May 11, 2021 8:57 am

Phil, I found that the Ford engine on my Hymac 580BT would start easily, but when she cracked up it sounded really rough, just like there was air in the system, I knew it could not be sucking air because the engine would lose power and cut out if it was sucking air. What I found was that it would run fine after the initial start up from having stood, I suspected that the fuel was slowly draining back through the system so I fitted a one way valve into the fuel line on the suction side to prevent the fuel from draining back, why that happens I just don't know but it has made a difference now and sounds much better on start up from having stood.

Jeremy

Topic author
MrF

Post #169 by MrF » Tue May 11, 2021 11:42 pm

I have been reading the leyland and nuffield tractor diagnosis sheet they have for download linked from here :-
https://www.thenuffieldandleylandtractorclub.co.uk/wp/specifications/

And there's a interesting paragraph in it , note the emphasis:-
"Air in fuel;
This is similar to ‘Poor or low fuel supply’. Loose or faulty fuel pipe connections can allow air to
be drawn into the system, but dirty fuel filters or a faulty filter head assembly may also cause fuel
supply issues and hard starting. The banjo bolt with the ‘restriction’ hole must be in place between
the leak off pipe and the filter head to build up back pressure in the injection pump,
the leak off
return pipe must go the bottom of the fuel tank.
"
Going back to this picture, where is that line described supposed to run from the pump to the filter head on our machines? I noticed that nut on the return banjo line doing duty as a spacer on the original installation and just replicated it, is it supposed to have a restrictor to build up more pump pressure originally?
Edit, I found it on charnleys site, things suggest that the banjo bolt is a special for this setup and needed to maintain pressure in the diesel pump. If someone has substituted and had to use a nut as a spacer, its possible I don't have the one with the correct restriction in. Also my return line does not return fuel to the bottom of the tank but the top, I wonder if this is a issue also.
https://www.charnleys.com/part/nuffield ... banjo-bolt

Topic author
MrF

Post #170 by MrF » Wed May 12, 2021 11:29 am

:idea: link to interesting discussion on nuffieldtractor.com in google cache :-
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=nl

' It should be a banjo bolt with only one cross drilling of about 10 thou. This lets virtually no diesel through but still allows air to escape to the tank.
Check the bolts in the injectors , it may have migrated!
The wrong bolt will allow too much fuel to escape and result in low fuel pressure being delivered to the lift pump.'

I think the poster means low fuel pressure to the injection pump & need to check that the spill pipe banjo bolts on the injectors haven't got the hole as a also suggested because that would be really easy for someone to have done & could be really bad for the motor if it can't leak off from one cylinder. I had fun times with my diesel return getting blocked and the motor self accelerating and trying to run me over opening a gate already.

If not that's me tomorrow, making up a banjo bolt with a 0.5mm hole on the lathe and testing the above, life's too short to wait for a proper one to navigate the import mess posting it would entail.

Jeremy I wonder if that's whats going on with your hymac perhaps also?

Return to “Projects”