carnage 3ciii

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

Re: carnage 3ciii

Post #21 by MrF » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:24 pm

I'm just glad its progressing mark!

Took the steering wheel off tonight, struck lucky and my forked ball joint remover fitted the gap between wheel and shaft shoulder, so a few taps and it pinged off the taper without risk to anything.
Dash off, wiring looks ok, I cant see why anyone has bypassed it completely, unless they didn't fancy loom fault finding. I think I will try to get the standard loom working since I want to have diesel/oil level gauges working properly and bring each system online by fitting its fuse as I fit the bits for that part, eg leave the indicators fuse out until the indicators are back on, cab lights ditto etc. The switchgear is all missing but it looks like industry standard rocker stuff so I can get that fairly cheap, ditto the ignition switch but that is something majorly on my list since I have a inquisitive 7 year old lad.
Ive also removed the four (count them, 4) cold start cable knobs dotted round the dash and cab. Since the diesel pump hasn't got the cold start lever to move, even one is a bit surplus to requirements :thumbup:
The other major annoyance was the tachometer never worked. But I found the clock itself was jammed with hardened slime, some careful work with switch cleaner, and alternating with wd40 saw it free off, and now you can spin it with one finger as it should be. Probably the drive cable or box on the motor will be snapped because of the clock seizure but its too late to fire up and see if the free end goes round.

Finally, the steering has always felt a bit... wobbly, to me, not vague, I mean physically wobbly but my friend told me they were all like that. However mystery solved, the mounting bracket has snapped and the hydraulic head is held only by one side so its been flexing on that one bracket! :dizzy: Maybe jcb let the apprentice's practice on that bracket out the way and they're all broke by now :doh:
Ill fire the welder up tomorrow and apply magic glue :)

Topic author
MrF

Post #22 by MrF » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Fitted replacement seat to stock swivel plate, arc'd the broken steering bracket back together, and arc welded the bonnet hinge back onto the diesel tank. Very very gingerly...
The latter was the worst, the hinge is very thin but the tank itself is so thick walled have to run a lot of amperage to get penetration. Its done anyway. All the time with son on standby with the spare headshield and a co2 fire extinguisher. Not my most favorite of jobs.

I had to temp remount the wheel and jury rig the motor cut and electrics to get the machine to nearer the workshop which houses the heavy arc set so once it was welded, we had a quick test and ended up moving about 8 skip's worth of muck and rubble which had built up during the dormant period, before parking it back in the barn when it started to rain heavily (I have no cab yet remember) ready to do the electrical work. And bizarrely the leaking hydraclamp has stopped leaking. I think I'll order a new seal anyway...

Electrics and cab next, and my wife prompted me to get around to doing the cab (I think its so her motorhome can live in the dry of the barn currently full of jcb 3c...)
Sadly the tacho cable IS snapped, so will try to extract it tonight to check its not the worm box gone too though that would have been easier without the rad on etc, so my fault for not making sure it all worked earlier on.

I really want to paint it all now its working :thumbup:

Mark.Rive

Post #23 by Mark.Rive » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:03 pm

A good weekend then :thumbup: Mark

Topic author
MrF

Post #24 by MrF » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:18 am

Indeed :thumbup:
Ordered new gauges for the dash, a new ignition as when I checked the one I had, the copper wafer's inside had come adrift, and new switches to replace the ones on the dash itself.
As things go, even with no electrics its back working carefully. This building was L shaped earlier on in the day. First room was easy, just break the wall near the corner bond with the front bucket clamshell, then it all just fell away with no nasty flying pieces to damage rams :)
Only real pain is I'm not risking it in the soft bit of the garden where inevitably the rubbish pile is, so we're taking down the rubble in a trailer on the tractor, which I have to unload by hand at the bottom. And it holds two good scoops from the front loader per trip :(

Rest of tin roof section coming down this weekend, and hopefully the pieces for the dash I've ordered will arrive early next week so I can sort it out in the evenings. And I think I'll hire a 4wd dumper for the weekend, can't be doing with unloading with a spade...

Mark.Rive

Post #25 by Mark.Rive » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:55 pm

Thats awesome Phil, nice to see the pic's and to read the machine is up and running. Dumper sounds like the way to go. What better way to spend a weekend :thumbup: Thanks Mark

Topic author
MrF

Post #26 by MrF » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:44 am

I'm enjoying it quite a lot to be honest, no dumper turned up yet tho so we're just sorting stuff into piles to shift when it does.
Bit more of that barn down, picked the tin's off the roof using the clamshell on the edges, then lifted the beams they sat on off using the clamshell to grab them, then a little nudge on the end wall and over she went ;)
Just got to clean up and pick the floor out, then we can cut the truss near the house with the front bucket or the neighbor's telehandler supporting the truss.
Here she (is a digger still a she?) having some r&r and her vitals checked as I have only got a oil pressure gauge :)

Topic author
MrF

Post #27 by MrF » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Has been an "interesting" day. Firstly I thought the engine was knackered again about a hour after that picture, when major amounts of oil started coming out of the exhaust manifold and was all over the engine bay, the underside of the bonnet etc. I took the cam cover off expecting to see a valve dropped, and nothing. So I took the manifold off, and started it again, and saw fresh oil in the port area, I put my hand in front of the gas stream and it was covered in oil. Not at all good. Thought #4 had holed a piston or scored the bore in some major fashion.
I cleaned the whole side of the engine up, and noticed the port didn't feel wet enough further in, then checked the exhaust manifold and it was dry inside. So we started her up again, and I got a jet of oil in my hair, squirting out the oil filter canister!
I extracted the gasket, and fitted another new filter and gasket I had, and all was well. Very happy thoughts again at that point but lost a hour to it. I have no idea why it waited until 8 hrs before letting go.

About another hours work, and the area was tidied up, and we got the truss out with only disturbing one roofing slate, so I was feeling pleased when I noticed a rubber burning smell. I shut it down and opened the bonnet, and noticed the (previously shiny new) fanbelt was inside out and looking in rough shape.
The alternator has seized, I pushed it apart on the press tonight trying to at least turn it into a hollow shell to support the pulley as still running total loss electrics, and the brush holders are all smashed up, and the rear bearing is in bad shape, but the front bearing is even worse! there is missing rollers and the cage was nowhere to be seen. It's probably saveable but I'm not in the mood to go through bearing catalog's to order the right size tonight and there was nothing in my bearing stash the right size. And it means I have to replace the (insert swear word of choice) fan belt yet again. All the screws inside were rounded too. So someone has already been at it internally.

I found a lucas alternator off a range rover classic in the shed, and it fitted the same mountings and its in really good shape. However it fouls the exhaust due to its bigger bulk at belt tension so a slightly longer fanbelt would give it sufficient clearance. And I happen to have a fanbelt just a bit longer. But it means removing the driveshaft to the hydraulic pump yet again in a job I was rather glad I'd not have to do twice in one lifetime and would mean the machine needs a non standard belt for the rest of its days, so I may go peek at the old dead mk2 transit in the field as I know that had a rebuilt alternator fitted shortly before it was pronounced deceased and it will be much less amperage (and size) than the RR unit.
Oh well, should have checked the alternator bearings properly first time round. Or maybe they just picked now to commit ritual suicide.

Took the tacho cable off while I had the fan shroud off, and the cable is seized solid, so probably the drive gearbox is gone too. Ill order both.

I do think its earned its keep today, despite the shenanigans. It is 30 odd years old at the end of the day. Couldn't do it without it. All part of life's rich tapestry. And Ill get all the niggles worked out sooner or later.

Topic author
MrF

Post #28 by MrF » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Transit mk2 alternator fitted, had to make another pulley for it on the lathe to make the belt line up in the end but it uses a standard belt now. Machine working again but with the poorly belt. I noticed it had turned itself inside out after about five minutes, but its managed to stay on!
Cue much getting off and checking the fan is going round.

Cabless action shot, I was just shifting between spots to use the back acter hence the legs at half mast when my wife snapped this pic. The engine is actually running in this shot, it only smokes bad when cold now...
Off the tractor shoppe to buy a replacement hose for the dipper as it developed a leak last night.

Topic author
MrF

Post #29 by MrF » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Well that was a fun week. Not. I'm even in trouble for spending 220e on a 25l drum of oil and the rear hose that went. Other blokes get in trouble for going out on the razz on friday and drinking all their money, and I get it in the neck for buying things for a machine we need despite being almost teetotal. C'est la vie...

The machine itself just stopped on sunday afternoon. After spending sunday,monday and tuesday evenings checking things and bleeding/cleaning etc, the replacement pump was deemed the culprit.
I downloaded the taxi company CAV dpa pump rebuild doc and studied it. Being dpa there was no rephasing going to be needed so I decided to strip myself despite all the warnings, I didn't fancy having to break the news to my mrs that it needed a 300+e pump rebuild. I did diesel pump rebuilds at college covering inline phasing etc many many moons ago, so maybe not as adventurous as it sounds although I'd never stripped a dpa as we didn't cover them for some reason, probably the cost of replacement parts when the students found scored bits!

Got into the job, expecting to find some tiny port blocked in the high pressure head, only to discover the vane pump on the end was sheared off where it was slotted to take the vanes into four pieces and the outer ring where the vanes run scored badly. Apart from that it appeared very clean inside like it was a freshly rebuilt item. I have a theory that it ingested something into the vane pump which caused the whole mess.

So, took original pump apart which if you read back, I'd replaced as it wasn't running with it on after it ingested a load of slime after I discovered the fuel filters were empty canisters, and predictably it was for want of a better word, minging inside and well and truly clogged and I had lost a part from the regulator on the fuel input cleaning it all out knee deep in mud, so I used the one from the broken pump. Lots of time in the parts cleaner, then some trike in a aerosol cleaner form then air drying each piece removing the orange sludge of death. Dried it all off, and assembled in the cleanest conditions I could manage with paper toweling laid over the bench. And miracle of miracle, it works. The vane pump area and the high pressure ring and roller assembly measured up fine using the new but dead pump as a reference.

I was all the time thinking how something could had got in past the brand new filter, and the mesh filters etc to cause the destruction. It just didn't make sense. I'd marked up the hoses and positions when I removed it with marking tape and felt pen so I was sure I'd restored it the same positions, but a closer look showed the arrows on the filter block didn't correspond to how I thought they should be after peering at engine bay pics on the net and you tube, I realized it was connected backwards. Which I think would allow unfiltered fuel into the pump itself.
Ive replaced the whole filter block with the CAV unit from the transit in the field, it has extra external one way valves enforcing flow direction so it positively cannot happen again. It also has a plug on the bottom to empty the sediment bowl without disturbing the filter seals unlike the original, so I have made it a daily thing to drain it down while I'm checking levels etc. The machine having lost its seperate sediment bowl some owners previously.

I also noticed one of the other core plugs weeping, so I machined up a solid one on the lathe slightly oversize and locktite'd it in with bearing retainer. Its not leaking now.

So tonight its back working and apart from a minor annoyance caused by a leaking filler cap which has a bad seal, causing oil to leak out onto the manifold its fine mechanically.
Also the dash switchgear has turned up, so I spent last evening with a multimeter trying to sort the loom out, firstly removing the outer tape as some clever person had sprayed all the wiring loom yellow, along with everything else. I still ended up totally confused trying to compare it to my wiring diagram wondering why the neutral switch went inline with the horn and other such madness, until on the brink of just rewiring it totally with my own loom like I do with bikes when I build them, I realized about two hours in, that the key and wiring diagrams had got mixed up by whoever bound the photocopied manual and the actual key page was 3 pages away! The joy of ebay. Its either broke, or its damaged in some subtle way you don't discover until it bites you.

All good fun, getting the bugs out of it still. It'll come good in the end once I get the electrics back working fully and the cab welded up. Still needs a new fanbelt when Im feeling more mellow. Think Ill fit two and zip tie the second out the way, take a tip from you guys ;)

Mark.Rive

Post #30 by Mark.Rive » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:14 pm

Cant get enough of your updates MrF :gooodpost: Thanks very much. Mark :thumbup:

Return to “Projects”