carnage 3ciii

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Re: carnage 3ciii

Post #91 by Slooby » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:36 pm

As one of my friends, as a way of justifying owning/renting 11 lock-up garages full of vintage cars, vintage 'bikes, parts of cars, parts of 'bikes and machine tools, would say: 'Toys...' ;)
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

Post #92 by MrF » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:07 pm

I can rule out the problem of the current engine issue being the head I think.
I rebuilt the 'scrap' head, after testing it for flatness in a machine with a probe, new guides, didn't touch the existing injector sleeves, rebuilt engine in machine using it, new head gasket, torqued it down and before I can even get it bled up to start, I can see the rad pressurissing just off cranking the motor around. So, something in the block itself is responsible & another 250e wasted. C'est la vie eh.
It however doesnt appear to be spraying out the exhaust ports so I'll check the oil for water contamination and it might be interesting to see which cylinder is down on cylinder pressure for future autopsy. Maybe I have 2 or 3 issues interacting and one of them is still there.

Matchless?58

Post #93 by Matchless?58 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:26 am

Patience of a saint . Hope you get it sorted soon before bankruptcy looms . I guess you don't want it to beat you now you have come this far . Logically as you eliminate each problem you will hit on the solution . Very interesting reading and enjoy reading and learning from your posts . Cheers Chris

Slooby

Post #94 by Slooby » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:29 pm

Does the engine run wet liners?

Topic author
MrF

Post #95 by MrF » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:27 pm

Yes the 4/98's are wet liner. And its had a new liner with new seals earlier in the thread and standoff height is correct when measured on all the liners.
If its that pot that's down when its compression tested I'll blame the liner install. But its time to pull the whole engine and do it in a clean workshop environment on a engine stand not fiddle about in the muck underneath it with a torch trying to work past the balancer assembly.
At which point I might as well drop the good 4/98 I harvested from the 3c2 into it and then I might actually get to fix some other things wrong elsewhere on the machine instead.

Slooby

Post #96 by Slooby » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:31 pm

Yeah, I remember that discussion now. Is it possible for the liner to 'drop' after it's bedded in a bit? This used to be the bain of our lives when relinering a Subaru EJ/EG engine, and used to drive me nuts arguing with machinists that they must have made a mistake when machining out the block to take a top hat liner...How the hell a top hat liner could 'drop' if the block had been machined properly and the liner installed correctly seated up against the machined seat for the top hat was beyond me! In the end all we could do was build the engine up and aggressively bed it in with a lot of boost then strip it down again for checking and re-decking if necessary...the other trick of course was to have the liner tops and heads machined to take a Wills or Coopers Ring and run a modified head gasket without fire-rings. Those you could rig with a bleed off to atmosphere so if the heads ever lifted (which did happen even with the blocks and heads machined to take 14mm ARP head studs instead of the stock size 11mm) you never pressurised the cooling system or got oil to water jacket blows. That was how Prodrive ran the WRC engines too.

Topic author
MrF

Post #97 by MrF » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:10 pm

I measured liner protrusion again before fitting this head, so unless there's something springy under the liner lip that only moves with the sheer weight of the head clamping down on it, it should be ok even if it had settled. Perhaps the water jacket o ring isnt seating properly and lets the liner sink home slightly once its torqued down a bit so hence the interest in taking a compression test on it to see which pot is down.
But it coudl easily be that both heads could be bad in different ways, both heads could have injector sleeve issues even though I didnt touch this set, or the block could have something going on with the liners. But having the second engine thankfully means its academic anyway. I can play with the bad engine in a engine stand on a engine dyno next winter if I get through the summer's job lists which the machine itself is currently blocking.
I need that forklift to appear, wife has now approved the idea and we'll call it my birthday present apparently but I have to find and organize shipping of it myself. Hopefully not buying one that needs a shedload of work in the process...

Slooby

Post #98 by Slooby » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:46 pm

Anyway you could pressure test the head? One would imagine that the liner to block seals if they leaked would result in coolant getting into the oil rather than pressurising the cooling system

Topic author
MrF

Post #99 by MrF » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:37 pm

On the head, no not at the moment, but its not even the same cylinder this time I pressure tested and its number 4 thats down & you can crank it and when that pot is on compression the rad level rises. It just makes no sense.
So after a brief interlude doing some chores, rest of day spent getting motor ready to come out. Tonight I just have the flexplate -> torque converter bolts, the front main engine bolts and the bellhousing fasteners to come out and its ready to lift out. I'll take the loader arms off to swap etc when a engine is back in & running because where its parked it would be a major pain to do.

Slooby

Post #100 by Slooby » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:26 pm

Could the second head be cracked?

Return to “Projects”