carnage 3ciii

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Dieseljimmer

Re: carnage 3ciii

Post #11 by Dieseljimmer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:45 am

Hi Phil, Looks like you've been up to your eyes in it with your project too :dizzy: ! Looking at my radiator set up the header tank seam is flush with the tops of the two "U" channel uprights. There is a cut out on the RH "U" channel, as you look at the machine, at the bottom, the cut out is about 2" below the bottom hose. Not sure whether this helps though. Keep at it as you'll have a big :D on your face when its all working nicely and blowing smoke rings :thumbup: !!

nick lamb

Post #12 by nick lamb » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:36 pm

MrF,I take my hat of to you mate :claphands: You have done some remarkable work to this thing.Your ingenuity(I can't even spell it!)in making all this work astounds me.Fair play mate. :thumbup:

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

Post #13 by MrF » Mon May 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Dieseljimmer wrote:Hi Phil, Looks like you've been up to your eyes in it with your project too :dizzy: ! Looking at my radiator set up the header tank seam is flush with the tops of the two "U" channel uprights. There is a cut out on the RH "U" channel, as you look at the machine, at the bottom, the cut out is about 2" below the bottom hose. Not sure whether this helps though. Keep at it as you'll have a big :D on your face when its all working nicely and blowing smoke rings :thumbup: !!

Thats what made me think its the wrong rad as I would have expected the bottom hose to line up with the cutaway to give relief for the hose clip etc. It could be a hangover from the older mk2 designs and they had a different rad. After all why redesign the tooling etc if it does the job on the new model but just has a cutaway which confuses people 30 years later trying to work out whats gone on :)

Im trying to work out the way to do the tappets amongst other things, I was just going to set the lobe at 180 from the follower and set that cylinder but then I just found this looking for info :-
"valve clearance on leyland 4/98 engine is 13 thou. hot or cold , set using the " no. 9 " rule , that is , set valve no. 1 with valve no. 8 fully open , no 2 with no. 7 fully open etc "

Its not that Ive been thinking about it all this time, Ive been mad busy with excavating and putting in a subfloor drainage system for the first workshop which is below ground level but will be housing my machines later this month I hope. Blinded it last night and laid the dpm so concrete next. Possibly after Ive repaired the little agri trailer that I managed to roll full of a few cube of sand behind the massey tractor and twist the drawbar eye partially off. Should have just spent time finishing the 3ciii and been done with it, but then I'd be setting myself deadlines and rushing things. It'd have probably sank again in that part of the garden anyway which is what I think happened to the trailer :D

Topic author
MrF

Post #14 by MrF » Mon May 09, 2011 2:44 pm

nick lamb wrote:MrF,I take my hat of to you mate. Your idiocity in fixing such a old dog when theres much better machines going for scrap astounds me.

There fixed that for you so its a bit nearer the actual truth :lol:

I should have started with a better example, joking aside. Im sure there are lots around that didn't need half the work, but I bought it cheap but unseen and went on trust so its all self inflicted. I kept saying "once its here I can fix whats wrong..." but the first time I saw it was when it arrived on a low loader here in France. If I had have been sensible I would have bought a mini digger but it just seemed like such a good idea at the time, Ive always liked the 3c's for their sheer utility and ability to work, and anything man has made he can fix right? probably not the same time as self building a house whilst working full time, but we gloss over those little points.
One regret so far, I didnt buy a load of jcb yellow and make it presentable too while its clean. I have a sandblaster and paint facilities. When its right I might buy it a late birthday present...

Topic author
MrF

Post #15 by MrF » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:41 pm

Finally got round to finishing the dressing up of the motor with my boy at the weekend, great day working on it, finished welding up a few repairs to the battery carrier and adding a few extra braces to it with my boy watching via the spare welding masks etc, setting the tappets with him ticking the valves off as we gapped them, and getting him to calculate which to set from the rule of 9 (he's only 7 so good practice for his brain mid school holidays) and other stuff, really enjoyed it.
Later that evening, I got enough charge into a battery to fire it up and it sounded sweetness and light, for about the first minute, then it took a dump, blew all the core plugs out and stopped. Headgasket failed allowing combustion pressure into the jacket...
Having such a great day and being in such a good mood, I just rolled up my sleeves and got the head back off rather than putting off stripping it for as long as possible... Made a little gantry instead of trying to muscle the head in and out by hand and a few hours later its in pieces. And its my fault, I nipped a small electrical wire between the very front of the mating surfaces behind the thermo housing and its not allowed the head to seat properly. I can only surmise it must have been during a early hours session where I was too tired to notice. Terrible workmanship really.

So new gasket on the way, do the job again, but faster, easier and properly. Ive tapped the block core plugs back in and will expand them again with some rawls, but I'd like to find a source online for the correct new items if anyone has any suggestions.

Mark.Rive

Post #16 by Mark.Rive » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi MrF, another good update on your project thank you. Here's some core plug numbers for you. These are the JCB part numbers and sizes. I have seen these on the interwwweb for sale but cant remember where so I'll have a look in a minute! Anyway the numbers :thumbup:

Cylinder block: 4 x 835/10020 5/8" (15.75mm) 2 x 835/10021 1" (25.4mm) 1 x 835/10022 1.1/2" (38.1mm).

Cylinder head: 3 x 835/10023 1.5/16" (33.33mm) 1 x 835/10021 1" (25.4mm) as above.

Hope that helps, I'll have a butchers and see if I can find that site right now. Thanks and Cheers. Mark

Mark.Rive

Post #17 by Mark.Rive » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Topic author
MrF

Post #18 by MrF » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks mark, great link, Ill order some in the am.
Head gasket is on its way already :)

Topic author
MrF

Post #19 by MrF » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:17 pm

Well, deep breath, new head gasket arrived, fitted after much gasket scraping yet again (sick of that now) and me and my son did the tappets today (dab hand now!). Ive put about 8 heat cycles into it and got it properly to temperature for 6 of them (first two just quick runs up with the valve cover off checking all was well) and its running brilliant. Nice steady even slow idle, responsive to the throttle and starts off the pump with no easystart needed. Can't say I'm over impressed with the amount of oil that makes it to the valve end of the rockers but there is definitely oil getting to the top end and there's sort of the odd splash to the valve end. No wonder they're prone to wear. Its like having a pinto with no spray bar :)

Had a oil leak under the dash to contend with which turned out to be a fractured line to the hydraulic gauge as the line has gone brittle with age, and one of the hydraclamps looks like its leaking from the back too. Ringing Diggerparts on monday it is then.

Its still smoking a bit and the rocker breather is still venting crankcase pressure lots, but no longer the extent that you can see big blue rings with each pot firing so maybe the new stem seals have worked some wonders. I knew it was never going to make it smoke free as I simply didn't have the money to replace worn liners/pistons while it was in bits :(

So now, its working? no, actually I'm taking the dash off tonight to tackle replacing that line, and sort the wiring out and fit a new engine stop cable in place of the bit of electrical wire that was tied to the inside front bucket lever which the previous owner used. I have also got a new seat to replace the mangled mess of tape that's on it now.
Couldn't resist a quick play with the controls and make sure all the hydraulics still work fine, picked up a spare bucket and moved it out the way of the tractor then common sense got the better of me and I decided to wait till the pump stop button etc is connected properly.

So, I'm a happier person tonight with it than I was a few weeks ago. Might even paint it one day :)

Mark.Rive

Post #20 by Mark.Rive » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Another great update MrF, thanks very much. Mark :thumbup:

Return to “Projects”