JCB 3C MkIII in France

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

paul.morris275

Re: JCB 3C MkIII in France

Post #11 by paul.morris275 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:19 pm

wow, so jealous, your machine looks so nice. Our poor girl looks very battered and needs a lick of paint in the summer, which we require lots and lots of rubbing down ;)

Lis

Topic author
Froglet

Post #12 by Froglet » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:10 pm

Hooray!!!

Managed to get a new battery in the JCB this morning and she spluttered into life first time!!

Loads of white smoke (mainly due to the lack of a working silencer and some water in the fuel) but she idles beautifully after a minute or so.

I've been referring to the manaul for the 2C/3C/3D etc that I downloaded from this site, but there are few inconsistencies.

Specifically, I need to know does the 3C Mk3 have a fuel shutoff valve and if so , where the hell is it...?

Also, I've taken a few pictures of various bits in the engine bay. As I'm new to this engine, can anyone take the time to look at the photos and help me identify the engine parts I've highlight.

Lastly, what grade hydraulic fluid should I be topping up with?

Look forward to some enlightening responses... :bow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oh my GOD...WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!!

My French Business - Les Bons Voisins

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #13 by topkit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:54 pm

That hose in the first picture is from the fuel tank, In the second picture that plunger is to do with the cold start and the thing that hangs of the side of the dash is too but you won't use either i am sure ( i don't on mine)! the 3rd picture is your oil filter which is inside that metal canister, the other item that you point to is the fuel bowl there will also be a lift pump which you use to help bleed the fuel system if you have it open or get an air lock in the system. On my machine i did it all in one go as it would'nt start one day, i changed the fuel filters and put a new lift pump complete and a new fuel bowl they sell on e-bay for about £15.00 and i also checked those rubber fuel hoses for splits which will let air into the fuel system and they also get bits of sludge in which get dragged up from the fuel tank. That tap in the last picture i am write and someone can correct me will shut of the water from flowing around the system. The white filter in the same picture is your fuel filter. If i were you i would get yourself a new Hydraulic filter which is housed on the r./h side front of the rear wheel, it's easy to change, there is also another filter in the hydraulics which is on the left hand side beneith the cab steps (underside of the machine) it may be worth cleaning that out too Then once you have changed it refill your system i use 46 grade in my 1977 3C and it works all day long! get yourself about 50 litres of grade 46. As i have mentioned in another post i would check the condition of your anti freeze too and if you are not sure let some water out of the system and add some radiator flush then run the machine for a short while then either pull a hose off or on the engine block on the left hand side you will find a tap be carefull and open it to drain the block and system out, you will be amazed at the sludge that will come out then you can refill with fresh antifreeze. Keep us posted on your progress. if you need any other info we are all here to help you :)

Topic author
Froglet

Post #14 by Froglet » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:07 pm

Cheers Topkit.
Where do you source your filters? I'm based in France but my Mother in law is based in Maidstone. I usually pop back once every couple of months so could get them delivered to her place.

Any idea about the location of any fuel cut-off tap/valve...?

Gold Digger

Post #15 by Gold Digger » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:11 pm

:wave: :arrow: bong joor misure

Topic author
Froglet

Post #16 by Froglet » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Voo parlay be-anne Francais...
:thumbup:

Gold Digger

Post #17 by Gold Digger » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:16 pm

:thumbup: :lol:

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #18 by topkit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:22 pm

Just go onto E-BAY and put JCB 3C in the search and this will bring up filters, gaskets, lift pumps etc, I am not far from Maidstone myself the nearest JCB dealer is Greensheilds in Hailsham sussex.

Topic author
Froglet

Post #19 by Froglet » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Cheers Topkit

Bon soiree... :wave:

Gold Digger

Post #20 by Gold Digger » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:57 pm

Return to “Projects”