JCB 3C MkIII in France

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
Froglet

JCB 3C MkIII in France

Post #1 by Froglet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:02 pm

Just a few photos of my newly-acquired machine. It was bought via eBay from JCB Diggers.com near Worcester..

I've had the battery on charge for a couple of days, having topped up the water and acid, but unfortunately when I put it back, the charge fell from 12.2V to 9.5V in less than an hour. Also discovered today that the fuel in the tank is slightly contaminated with water so I'll be draining it this weekend and flushing the system through - should be fun... :wtf:

Anyway, on with the show - any comments/tips appreciated. Also, if anyone can confirm the age by the data on the plate, please feel free to reply...
Plate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oh my GOD...WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!!

My French Business - Les Bons Voisins

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 3C MkIII in France

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Well Eamonn you have there a what looks like a 1977 JCB 3Cmk3.looks original.. and is that padding in the cab ?
May i ask as i cant see properly, is there a single lever for the front loader or 3 levers in a row ?

Martyn

Topic author
Froglet

Post #3 by Froglet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi Martyn

Most of padding in the cab is intact - just a few moth-eaten (or mouse-eaten) bits missing round the edges.

The front loader does indeed have a single lever. Just out of curiosity, how does that differ mechanically from the 3-in-a-row variety...?

You may notice the extremely knackered silencer box - I managed to get a brand new replacement via eBay UK which some friends are bringing over later this month when they come to visit. Should make the neighbours a bit happier about the noise levels...

Martyn Henley

Post #4 by Martyn Henley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:58 pm

The three levers were for the 6in1 bucket operation, JCB introduced the 3 levers about 1975, before there was just a little upright lever near the single lever to operate the 6in1 clamshell, you needed two hands to operate .. i remember the biggest drawback from the three levers were the knobs, they are large and very close together, and if you weren't careful you could nip your fingers in between the knobs ... :doh: .. the lift operation also included a float and bucket self levelling operation
I see you got the machine from Chris Ball (JCBDIGGERS.com) .. does he not know where you can get parts from ?
Martyn

Topic author
Froglet

Post #5 by Froglet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:05 pm

To be honest, I haven't thought to ask him...

I will drop him a line on Thursday after I'd had a chance to check out the oil and fuel filters. He owes me a spare bucket which wasn't loaded onto to truck last week.

I downloaded the User Manual from this site the other night - absolute lifesaver which will no doubt be constantly referred to in the coming days and weeks whilst I tinker with the machine. I'm hoping to have it fit and raring to go towards the end of February so I can clear some space on our land for a 40' x 12' polytunnel so SHMBO (she who must be obeyed) can start planting fruit and veg...

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:31 pm

Martyn Henley wrote:The three levers were for the 6in1 bucket operation, JCB introduced the 3 levers about 1975, before there was just a little upright lever near the single lever to operate the 6in1 clamshell, you needed two hands to operate .. i remember the biggest drawback from the three levers were the knobs, they are large and very close together, and if you weren't careful you could nip your fingers in between the knobs ... :doh: .. the lift operation also included a float and bucket self levelling operation
I see you got the machine from Chris Ball (JCBDIGGERS.com) .. does he not know where you can get parts from ?
Martyn

The levers on our later power train were also (for me at least) too far forward. I made some cranked extensions to bring them closer to the driver. Still found you needed 2 handes sometimes and prefered the older single stick for general loader work.

diggerjones

Post #7 by diggerjones » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:49 am

what were all the fuctions of a 6 in 1 bucket? cheers

Martyn Henley

Post #8 by Martyn Henley » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:02 am

If i remember rightly Dylan, its dozing, grappling, leveling, digging, loading, and dumping

Martyn

essexpete

Post #9 by essexpete » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Martyn Henley wrote:If i remember rightly Dylan, its dozing, grappling, leveling, digging, loading, and dumping

Martyn

Was the 6in1 Mr Bamfords way of getting round a registered name?

Martyn Henley

Post #10 by Martyn Henley » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Was the 6in1 Mr Bamfords way of getting round a registered name

To tell you the truth, i have no idea what the thinking was behind the 6in1 ..happen you could be right

Martyn

Return to “Projects”