Excited Female looking forward to restoring JCB 3C MK 2

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
paul.morris275

Re: Excited Female looking forward to restoring JCB 3C MK 2

Post #21 by paul.morris275 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:15 pm

The Wifey again.......

After much discussion with him in France, we decided to have the pump reconditioned. The price for parts & labour is going to be around the £450 mark. :o

Several factors were discussed: 1. Once the pump is reconditioned then we shouldn't have any problems with it
2. I wasn't sure if I could fit a JCB engine in the back of my Astra Estate!!
3. Would be have the same problem with another engine in a few days/weeks/months time?
4. Time - pump will be ready to collect Thursday pm, ferry is booked for Friday lunch time.....

So, after umming for quite a while, we decided, recond the pump, when we are back in the uk in a few weeks, bring the LDV minibus, take out some seats and collect a spare engine then.

:thumbup: Thank you for all the help and advice everyone has given Paul & I, you are a great bunch of people. Thanks again and can't wait to take some piccies of our poor delapidated old girl and post them on here. Really looking forward to getting her restored and looking slightly heathly again.

Lis

Gold Digger

Post #22 by Gold Digger » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:29 pm

:thumbup: 8-) best give it a wash before you take pictures

BulldozerD11

Post #23 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:09 pm

paul.morris275 wrote:The Wifey again.......

After much discussion with him in France, we decided to have the pump reconditioned. The price for parts & labour is going to be around the £450 mark. :o

Several factors were discussed: 1. Once the pump is reconditioned then we shouldn't have any problems with it
2. I wasn't sure if I could fit a JCB engine in the back of my Astra Estate!!
3. Would be have the same problem with another engine in a few days/weeks/months time?
4. Time - pump will be ready to collect Thursday pm, ferry is booked for Friday lunch time.....

So, after umming for quite a while, we decided, recond the pump, when we are back in the uk in a few weeks, bring the LDV minibus, take out some seats and collect a spare engine then.

:thumbup: Thank you for all the help and advice everyone has given Paul & I, you are a great bunch of people. Thanks again and can't wait to take some piccies of our poor delapidated old girl and post them on here. Really looking forward to getting her restored and looking slightly heathly again.

Lis

We await photos of the machine in action soon

PS - Dont forget to treat her to some new fuel filters and clean diesel as they often have water in the tank from standing.

dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Gold Digger

Post #24 by Gold Digger » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:13 pm

just out of curiosity , were you told the pump was gassed ? :doh:

Topic author
paul.morris275

Post #25 by paul.morris275 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:03 pm

Gassed :!: No I wasn't, hopefully this is a good thing????? :dizzy:

Filters!! I knew I should have ordered them :dizzy: What a plonker, best try and get some before tomorrow!!!!!

:arrrrgh:

PS Going to get some hydraulic fluid - is grade 46 ok???

Gold Digger

Post #26 by Gold Digger » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:59 pm

:wtf: gassed = knackerd :!: :insomnia: there is an artical on here about checking the lift pump somewhere . .

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #27 by topkit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:44 pm

I use 46 grade Hydraulic oil in mine and it's fine, if you are going to top the fluid up you may as well change the Hydraulic filter its nice and easy to do. Change the fuel filters and give the fuel bowl a clean out to also check the fuels hoses from the tank up to the system for splits and they block easily too if you drag muck up from the tank, i had this on mine and before i found the blockage i had changed all of the filters and the lift pump too but mine runs a treat now. I also drained and flushed my cooling system just before the winter and refilled with new Anti Freeze just before we had the cold snap. You will be suprised at the amount of sludge that will be in the cooling system. Without doubt give the jcb an oil change they get left for years on some machines.

BulldozerD11

Post #28 by BulldozerD11 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:17 am

Gold Digger wrote::wtf: gassed = knackerd :!: .

:oops: Sorry Gold digger Never heard that one before

dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
paul.morris275

Post #29 by paul.morris275 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:45 pm

Hubby fitted injector pump this morning and after a very worrying 30 minutes, the dear old girl spluttered into life!!

Never had such a huge smile for a piece of machinery (Hubby says he is getting worried about me...)

Brakes are a bit to be desired, so before we start doing the 1001 jobs, these are going to get looked at. I am sure I have seen about brakes on here somewhere?!?

The reconditioned pump - works a treat

Reconditioned Injectors - two were ok, two needed new nozzles & caps

The Wifey aka Lis

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #30 by topkit » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:21 am

Great pictures that quite a straight old machine that you have there she is a 3c mk2 year could be anything from 1973 to 1977, I am glad that you have her running now. The brakes can be got to be undoing the bolts that hold the chequer plate floor down, then if you lift out the floor sections you can get to the brakes, but before you do all of that check undernieth the machine at all of the linkage and make sure it is all there and moving. The actual brakes are round discs with a spline in the middle they are hidden behind a metal plate sort of each side of the seat mounting, there is a plate with around 6 bolts just undo them and you will see the disc, be carefull though as there will be a fair bit of brake dust in there which you won't want to inhale! What sort of price were the injectors to get reconditioned.

Return to “Projects”