JCB 3C mk 2- The project begins

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
wispa

JCB 3C mk 2- The project begins

Post #1 by wispa » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:11 pm

As you can see ive decided to spruce my old smoker up. Im not looking for a show finish just something that look okay and protect the machine from further rust.

One major problem i have with the machine is that radiator. It doesnt leak but has been damaged where the rad cap goes. Basically you cant screw the rad cap in properly. Ive been using like this by using some zip ties to hold it on but its not really good enough so anyone got any ideas on how to sort this out.

Im doing this all on a really small budget. The machine might look good but runs and drives fine and all hydraulics are strong as an ox.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BulldozerD11

Re: JCB 3C mk 2- The project begins

Post #2 by BulldozerD11 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:03 am

Find a local small fabricator / engineering / sheetmetal shop to fold you a new one. If the old one is welded on (canot rember if they are) cut old one off a couple of inches away from hinge then new one can be just bolted to old hinge. Looks like it may be an idea to make new on slightly longer as nose looks mishapen. Just watch sheared steel edges as like razor bladed. :!:

Try a radiator repair place and ask if they can just replace the Cap 'pipe' in the haedertank, if it canot be straightend with a bit of work with a hammer pliers and a strip of metal with a slot in it to carefuly bend the rim straight, as it looks like its been bent down abit.

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:09 am

Got my rads done by Serck marston,surprised by the cost,cheaper than I thought.There is a firm called LDL I think that can make new bonnets and tinwork.
Will look up their contact number.
Martyn

perdixrouge

Post #4 by perdixrouge » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:38 am

Don't it always happen.... I just took 2 goodish bonnets into scrap last week - was fed up lookin at them and scrap hit £120, so....! I do have a good rad still, if you're interested, £50 would part me from it (complete with cap that fits and still in its mounting frame.) Got a glass for the rear window too somwhere in my heap of bits.
Pete

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:37 pm

perdixrouge wrote:Don't it always happen.... I just took 2 goodish bonnets into scrap last week - was fed up lookin at them and scrap hit £120, so....! I do have a good rad still, if you're interested, £50 would part me from it (complete with cap that fits and still in its mounting frame.) Got a glass for the rear window too somwhere in my heap of bits.
Pete

Perhaps it might be worthwhile having a section on here for classic parts?

Topic author
wispa

Post #6 by wispa » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:37 pm

Right radiator sorted cheers guys for the advice all back in and starting well and temp good. So now the next problem the bonnet is shot so im going to fabricate a new one which doesnt seem to bad, but the problem i have is the bonnet hinge is also shot but it is welded to the body which i believe is either the diesil tank or hydraulic fluid tank so any suggestions on how whether i can weld a new hinge on i.e shall i drain the tank and fill with water whilst i weld??? I really cant think of a solution??

Also you can see from the photo below that the front end is all caved in. Would it be easier for me to cut it off to replace and straighten it.

cheers
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Post #7 by martyn williams » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:13 pm

I also think it may be a good idea for a classic parts section.
If anyone has good unwanted bits of machinery that they want to sell or even an exchange deal please let it be known.
Finning Caterpillar have got a classic parts section.But this is a little limited.
For example I purchased a new muffler for my D4 7j for a little over £25 !
So look through your unwanted items and let us know :thumbup:
You could help to save a machine from the gas axe.
Please use the sale and wanted section of this site.
Martyn

Return to “Projects”