JCB 3CII restoration and working project

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
si25

JCB 3CII restoration and working project

Post #1 by si25 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:10 pm

i've just bought my first machine :D : a mkIII 3C. it is going to be a restoration project and a working tool for the odd weekend job. i'll be going to pick it up, probably at the weekend so i'll get some good pictures and load them on. i'll update this topic as the work progresses.
si25
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by si25 on Sat May 23, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"toy soldier"

d4c24a

Re: JCB 3CIII restoration and working project

Post #2 by d4c24a » Mon May 18, 2009 9:32 pm

si25 wrote:i've just bought my first machine :D : a mkIII 3C. it is going to be a restoration project and a working tool for the odd weekend job. i'll be going to pick it up, probably at the weekend so i'll get some good pictures and load them on. i'll update this topic as the work progresses.
si25

ebay special by any chance ;)
hope you have fun restoring and playing ...i mean working :lol:
cheers graham
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

Topic author
si25

Re: JCB 3CIII restoration and working project

Post #3 by si25 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:41 pm

yes it was indeed off e bay.
anyway, went to pick it up today, to those who i owe a favour: thanks to my boss for the unit, and thanks to dave for sorting me out a flatbed for the day.

turns out it is a 3CII, 1976. cab is near complete scrap, due to rot, but is fully glazed. the rest of it is seemingly complete. (i'll give it a going over tomorrow) all the hydraulics work, and the only ram that is damp is the bucket ram. :) also as a little bonus, despite a few bits missing it runs, drives and fully operates. she breathes a little heavy but i think i may know why. (to be investigated)
i'll give it a wash and grease up and general check over tommorow to compile a job list of what i need to do just to get it right and working.... then maybe i can think about tidying it up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"toy soldier"

Nick Drew

Re: JCB 3CII restoration and working project

Post #4 by Nick Drew » Sat May 23, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi Simon,

It's great to see another old girl being saved from the Gas Axe!!

Looking forward to seeing how it all goes with this project :thumbs_up: Keep us up to date with progress :thumbs_up:

Shame we just missed each other at SED the other week ...next year eh :thumbs_up:

Nick ;)

Topic author
si25

Post #5 by si25 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:20 pm

did half an hour of looking this evening. seems one of two surprises have reared their ugly heads!
number one: rather large crack in the water jacket in the head, probably from cracking in cold? not a major big deal as i can get it repaired, or souurce another head. although possibly a little concerning as to any further damage to the block? i assume there will be no real way of telling till i get it fully running?
number two: (a little more serious) rather large impact hole in the crown of number 4 piston. see my topic in tech talk. a little more serious as i am dubious to spend too much on a piston and liner kit if there is much damage to the rest of it that i do not yet know about.
pictures to follow.
"toy soldier"

newjcb123uk

Post #6 by newjcb123uk » Wed May 27, 2009 12:12 am

Hope these are of some inspiration to you - Good Luck and keep us all posted :thumbs_up:
"A man reaps what he sows"

Topic author
si25

Post #7 by si25 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:58 pm

latest, repair news:
ordered, and recieved a gen jcb piston to replace the damaged one, and all gaskets.
checked all liners for signs of wear which seemed good. new piston fitted and head bolted back down. struck up briefly just to check how she runs before filling with coolant and completing refitting of parts.
really pleased, just flicked the key and she ran sweet as a nut. exhaust on tommorrow and full run up, then re torque the head.
looking promising. :D
"toy soldier"

Hammer man

Post #8 by Hammer man » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:14 pm

I love these old JCB`s.I very nearly got an Ebay special a few years ago but got outbid at the very end.was going top keep it on the hardstanding at the rear of the garden!! :D A friend of mine has a 1979 3C3 with 4 in 1,extradig & power shuttle in original condition with an excellent cab.
Theres an old 3C(3C3 i think)on the outskirts of Bristol.I was used often till about 2 yrs ago when i was replaced by a 1985 3CX.I would love to save it. :)
2004 Hit ZX350,9556 hrs
2007 ZX350/3,6000 hrs,now with just over 10000 hrs!!!

jcb3cMk3
Flag: Great Britain

Post #9 by jcb3cMk3 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:48 am

Hammer man wrote:I love these old JCB`s.I very nearly got an Ebay special a few years ago but got outbid at the very end.was going top keep it on the hardstanding at the rear of the garden!! :D A friend of mine has a 1979 3C3 with 4 in 1,extradig & power shuttle in original condition with an excellent cab.
Theres an old 3C(3C3 i think)on the outskirts of Bristol.I was used often till about 2 yrs ago when i was replaced by a 1985 3CX.I would love to save it. :)

Hello Neil,

Any chance you could get a few photo's of your mates 1979 3c with 4 in 1. I have the exact same machine and am always interested in seeing other examples.

Cheers

Philip

Topic author
si25

Post #10 by si25 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:43 am

all seems well with my machine, retorqued the head and checked all the levels etc after the initial run in, no problems at all. greased it all up and there seems to be very little slop in the pins and bushes too. bit of a bonus. brakes seem very poor though. will be doing a little work to make it a little more respectable for short road trips. but hopefully i'll get it out to do some real work in a week. got some ditching lined up on a mates farm. that will be it's first test.
"toy soldier"

Return to “Projects”