CAV DPA Fuel pump advice

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
adg
Flag: Wales

CAV DPA Fuel pump advice

Post #1 by adg » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Quick question regarding a mechanically governed CAV DPA pump:

Can the pump fuel feed be shut off using the throttle rather than use the mechanical pull to stop cable and/or can a stop solenoid be installed?

The pump is currently fitted to the old hydrovane Perkins 4-108 fitted in the Kubota.

Thanks in advance,

Al

FOWLER MAN

Re: CAV DPA Fuel pump advice

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:58 am

Hi,
Unless someone knows different there is not a stop solenoid available which can be mounted direct to the DPA pump. :think:
I cant remember whether the Transit and Bedford vans with the 108 stopped on the key but it may be possible to rigg a solenoid to opperate the stop cable :?: :?:
Wouldn't it be simpler just to fit a stop cable and pull it :?: :?:

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by TrevorJ » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:58 am

The idle can be set low, enough let the engine stall out, but it really isn't a good idea.

The force to pull the stop on the injector pump isn't very much either, a hobby dc bi polar motor and thread could do the job or even a pull solenoid just to quit the engine, but I'd agree with Fred, a simple pull stop cable would be easier and safer.

Topic author
adg

Post #4 by adg » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:13 am

Thanks Both,

I've been using the original Hydrovane pull-stop up to now (fitted to the rear bulkhead), but was thinking about simplifying the controls back into the original key start/throttle forward to shut down, Kubota control. I really must get a charge buzzer installed though, it's too easy to shut down and not switch off :)

The machine is running really well, it's done a significant amount of work for me so far without any major issues. I'm going to make the new exhaust system and bonnet when I get a chance, given the good weather and long days the machine hasnt had much downtime though.

Cheers

Al

Return to “Projects”