Trackmarshall 56 project

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Trackmarshall 56 project

Post #1 by FOWLER MAN » Sun May 02, 2010 7:38 pm

Hello All
I had a proper look at the TM 56 I bought today. :x I foolishly did the deal without even getting close to it. :doh: As usual I bought more work than I bargined for. :o
The engine seems OK. :thumbup: but there 's no slew brake to one side, no resistance to the lever at all. :thumbdown:
I suppose its not too bad the sprockets and rollers are serviceable :lol: but I will have to find a pair of track-chains. :cry: If anyone can help please give me a shout? :?:
Hope to have it back in the yard soon. Will post progress here.
Here are todays photos. :thumbup:
Fred[img]
007.JPG
006.JPG
004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FOWLER MAN on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Trackmarshall 56 project

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Mon May 03, 2010 4:34 pm

Looks like you have a lot of work to do this summer Fred :dizzy:
we shall look forward to hearing and seeing the machine as work progresses

Thank you for sharing your pictures :thumbup:

Martyn

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:44 am

Hello All.
Yes Martyn a lot of work. :lol:
The engine I said was good (I heard it running a few months ago) had taken in water through the exhaust. :thumbdown: I took out the injectors to blow it out :thumbup: but it was solid. :thumbdown:
I put some vinegar in the bores, :idea: it's supposed to free up rusted rings and after a few days it did work, :o I was able to free the engine with a 5 ft. bar in the starter ring. :bow:
Water had also got into the starter so had to renew the solenoid. (the starter was almost new but it's an Indian copy of a Lucas). :doh: Then with an extra battery 24 volts not 12 I was able to blow it out and start it , :thumbup: it sounds good with full oil pressure and starts ok. on one battery now. :claphands:
Sorted out the slew problem too, :thumbup: needs a final drive oil seal and brake band reline. :( Does anyone know how thick the new linings should be please? :?: :?: :?:
I've driven it down ready to load up and bring home. Progress photos with next post. :thumbup:
Fred

marshallmp6

Post #4 by marshallmp6 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:34 am

Original lining was 1/4" Fred but if brake drum is worn down to 12.875" you can fit 5/16" thick lining. If the drums are worn unevenly it is a good idea to machine a light skim of the drums (don't clean them right up, lose too much life) then recut the grooves. Makes for much better steering. Nice little tractor the 56. Don't know if you can still get that "Z" seal for the rear axle, cost an arm and a leg last time I priced one 10 or more years ago. We have been modifying them to take the Duocone seal that was fitted to the TM 100/110/120, much better but a bit of lathe work needed on the axle and the flange bolted to the final drive housing. Cheers Don.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi Don,
Thanks for the info on the brake bands. The Marshall people here would'nt tell me how thick the linings were so that I could get them lined. They wanted to sell me exchange bands at £186 each plus £50 dposit on the band all plus VAT.
The Z seals are still available at £77 each.
The TM 56 is my next project after I have finished the Challenger.
Thanks again and best wishes.
Fred

martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:34 pm

Try Hydro brake at Bridgend, they are very helpfull Fred.They will reline bands for a fraction of your quote
Martyn

bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by bigkit » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Good on you Fred. :thumbup: Always the same :roll: . We optomostic sorts always buy thinking we've got a bargain overwhelmed but the romantic notion that it only needs a few windows and a coat of paint :doh: . And then..........then you realise you haven't got the bargain you thought you had. We all get too focused on the end result to let hours and hours of hard work, frustration, the cold and a nagging wife who would rather have your company shopping get in the way! :lol:

Return to “Projects”