PM clean up.

How can we improve CMN? Please post your suggestions here!
Do you have problems with the site? Post here!
Do you have problems with the registration or problems to log in? Contact us at webmaster (at) classicmachinery.net

Also check out our How-To!

Topic author
nick lamb

PM clean up.

Post #1 by nick lamb » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:19 pm

how do you delete your old private messages? and do you need to delete all your old attatchments occasionaly as my pc seems to be slow.
Thanks.

Robban_C

Re: PM clean up.

Post #2 by Robban_C » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:02 am

The pm:s doesn´t make your pc slow as the pm:s are stored on the web server, they are not stored on your computer.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #3 by Holger » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:12 am

Hi Nicky,

you can delete PMs in the PM-view:
delete_pms.jpg

I delete "orphan" attachments (attachments no longer shown in topics or no longer used in PMs) on a regular basis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some resources:
How-To

Topic author
nick lamb

Post #4 by nick lamb » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:29 pm

Ok,thanks guys.By 'attatchments' do you mean pictures?

Robban_C

Post #5 by Robban_C » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:27 pm

Pictures, zipfiles, documents etc. All kinds of files.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

RichardJW~

Post #6 by RichardJW~ » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:50 am

Nicky,

Try pressing 'control', 'alt' and 'delete' to bring up the task manager and see what 'processess' and 'performance' you are getting.

You could try running 'Disc Cleanup' found in the 'Accessories' > 'System Tools' link - it will tell you how many kilo-bytes are currently being stored in the 'recycle bin', 'temp internet files' and few other locations, you can select which ones you want to delete from there, then afterwards run the 'Disc Defragmenter'. Also might be a good idea to give it a good clean with the anti-virus checker.

If you suspect there's some 3rd party activity that's running on your computer then you can have a go at it on mine I have added 'Adaware' spyware removal which I occassionaly run along with 'SpyBot', its surprising what they pull out.

If all else fails the you could try downloading and running 'Crap-Cleaner', its kind of like giving the computer a enema, it will delete a whole heap of stuff such as old programs that were removed incorrectly and stuff that isn't directly linked to the running of windows
Last edited by RichardJW~ on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by Martyn Henley » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:49 am

Great find Richard :thumbs_up:
It worked well for my PC, and its free as well ... PC running like new
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Word of caution here, if anyone does use it, remember your passwords on the sites that you use

Martyn

RichardJW~

Post #8 by RichardJW~ » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:51 pm

yes, the C-Cleaner is a seriously DEEP clean of the computer and as you correctly noted it will delete all the "remembered" passwords on web-sites.

Topic author
nick lamb

Post #9 by nick lamb » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:07 pm

ok guys,thanks.I think I've done alot to sort the problem by deleating literally thousands of pics off 'my pictures'.I was told you could 'burn' them onto a disc and free up loads of space but I don't know how to so I've been through them all with my wife and simply deleated loads of rubbishy pics.I've also been brutal with my machine pics.I've deleated all the ones I scanned for the board and once I've posted them here I've deleated them!.All my more recent digi' camera pics have been sorted through and then all the ones I like have been printed and put into my 'proper' photo albums. :thumbs_up:
As for spy cookie things,I don't really surf the web apart from machinery-trader.com.I don't even go on acmoc or antique-machinery anymore as they are full of people trying to find out how to start donkey engines on D2's!.I have Norton security that seems to be giving me the green tick all of the time.
So hopefully I won't keep crashing my p.c anymore when I'm trying to post pics here :thumbs_up:

RichardJW~

Post #10 by RichardJW~ » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:14 pm

not being funny Nicky, but I have found that recent editions of Norton have slowed the computer down, so have gone over to NOD32 anti-virus protector for the last 2 years. I hear that AVG is also very good. As for Kasperski & McCaffee well I wouldn't give the steam off my tea!!!

Return to “Support and Suggestions”