IBH finally says hello.

Feel free to introduce yourself here.
Tell us where you are from and how you found CMN!

Topic author
IBH

IBH finally says hello.

Post #1 by IBH » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:13 am

Hello everybody :)
Im IBH (real name Tim) im in my early twenties and from the English Midlands.
I have been a fan of construction and earthmoving machinery since a very early age, I cant pinpoint when it started but Ive been interested in machinery for as long as I can remember.

I used to be captivated by machinery I saw and could easily sit and watch a JCB working all day.
Around the area where I grew up there were several scrap yards where I saw many Hymacs and Ruston Bucyrus machines and luckily a JCB dealership with lots of (at the time) shiney new yellow JCBs.

I think what really stoked the flames was finding Excavators by Peter Grimshaw in my local library and just becoming absorbed in the histories of various companies whos machines id seen but knew not a lot about at the time.
After growing tired of the Beano I started buying Construction News to keep abreast of all machinery related news before Classic plant and machinery and Earthmovers existed.
I have a modest collection of leaflets, models and photos ive built up over the years- models didnt come cheap on pocket money!

Im not involved in the industry and I dont operate any machinery but ive had a go ;)

Im interested not only in the machines themselves but the engineering/technology behind them,the histories and business sides of manufacturers.

My main interest is in excavators (both cable and hydraulic) together with backhoe loaders, though all machinery is of interest to me.

Ive always been keen on British manufactures e.g JCB, Hymac, Whitlock, Priestman etc etc and smaller machines in general as these seem to be largely overlooked in favour of Caterpillar or bigger more glamourous kit.
But not on this forum :thumbs_up:

Ive been aware of other forums on the internet but always found it difficult to contribute to non-English forums but I now know what a Backhoe Loader is in 3 or 4 languages!

Unfortunately im seperated from most of my photo collection at the moment but fear not over the coming months ill have a root around and upload and scan where needed any good ones.

Nick Drew

Re: IBH finally says hello.

Post #2 by Nick Drew » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:54 am

Hi Tim,

I take it you use the IBH tag in Honour of the old IBH Hymac era???

Anyway it was great to read your introduction.....it all sounded so familiar to me :D

I was the same from as young as I can remember!! And here I am at 46yrs old driving the things all my life and then I come home and start looking at them on the internet, my partner thinks I am crazy :dizzy: But women can never understand the lure of heavy equipment can they?? :mrgreen:

As I think I mentioned elsewhere on the forum I think you are going to be a very useful member here so on behalf of Holger and myself a very BIG WELCOME and thanks for joining :thumbs_up:

Nick.

PS: As I notice you are in the Midlands perhaps you would like to meet up with my friend and fellow member Jeremy Rowland who also lives in the Midlands, like you and me he is a massive Hymac fan and has a large selection of archive material which I know you would find of interest. Just send him a PM at some point.

martyn williams

Re: IBH finally says hello.

Post #3 by martyn williams » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:24 pm

Hello Tim and welcome. Alot of people are hooked on machines from an early age.I recently organized a local show and took some machines along. We had a very large crowd in our display area. It used to be boys and there toys but noticed girls are just as keen as the boys. I got interested in plant at about 3 years old, used to follow an Aveling Porter steam roller for miles.In 1999 I had the chance to drive it along with the late great Fred Dibnahs roller.
Would be interested in what type/make of machine got the members on this board first interested in plant and machinery?

Return to “Member Introductions”