Hello from Co Down

Feel free to introduce yourself here.
Tell us where you are from and how you found CMN!

Topic author
GrunterNI
Flag: Great Britain

Hello from Co Down

Post #1 by GrunterNI » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:57 pm

Hello folks,

Im David from Co Down and thought Id just stop by and introduce myself :wave:

I have recently acquired a 1984 JCB 3CX black cab and as I know very very little about heavy machinery I reckoned I should sign up somewhere with like minded people who can offer knowledgeable advice and guidance whenever I decide to wield the spanners in anger. She seems to be a straight enough machine although Id say its been a while since she's had fresh fluids and filters so that will be one of the first jobs and when I figure out how, I'll upload some pics for you to peruse and offer your congrats or condolences but either way she and her expenses are all mine now :doh:

Cheers and good luck,

David (JCB virgin)

Slooby

Re: Hello from Co Down

Post #2 by Slooby » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:55 pm

Welcome David, I'm a recent joinee myself and have just bought myself a 1987 grey cab 3CX which I am excitedly await delivery of.

There's a Service manual for a smidge later 3CX (Project 6 I think) in the downloads section under the JCB 1400B title (the US name for a 3CX) and on the 3rd page of JCB downloads an Operators Manual for the later Project 7 ('90's) 3CX, the control layout is different but it broadly does the same thing and will at least give you an idea of how to use it. It seems the earlier Project 2 and 6 Operators Manuals are somewhat elusive...

I started a thread in the Backhoe section where I have been colating some information in one place, including which lubricants to use as alternatives to the JCB branded stuff. Hopefully that will be of use to you :D
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi David and welcome to the site :wave: there is a fair wealth of different knowledge on here and people often share their machinery experiences as this broadens all of our machinery knowledge. Wishing you the best with your new acquisition. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
GrunterNI

Post #4 by GrunterNI » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:03 pm

Here’s a few photos of my recent acquisition and latest big boy toy. There’s a few bits and pieces missing which I hope to replace over time and she’s a bit scabby, but then she is 36 years old. Hopefully get an engine oil and filter change and new air filters some night this week and progress from there. Fingers crossed I don’t come across any nightmares as I go

Cheers

Slooby

Post #5 by Slooby » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:54 am

Looking at your pics I'd say you have got a 'Grey Cab' (Project 6 - like mine), the 'Black Cab' (Project 7) was introduced in around 1988/9 I think, and brought in a few more changes like the change over to the Perkins 1000 series engine in place of the Perkins 4.236 engine in the Grey. The earlier 'White Cab' (Project 5) used the Leyland 498 engine.

Mine's an '87 model, 2WD with Extradig like yours and in very similar condition. I only have tiny copies of the pics from its sale ad, but you'll get the gist:

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #6 by Holger » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Welcome to CMN!
Some resources:
How-To

Topic author
GrunterNI

Post #7 by GrunterNI » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:14 pm

From the engine number mine is a 1984 with the Perkins 4.236.

The different projects and cab colours mean very little to me atm so its good to know what I have actually bought especially for ordering parts which may have to be sooner rather than later. The guy I bought it from mentioned and in fairness showed me a "slight" leak underneath and said it was using about half a litre of fluid over a days work pushing and shifting dung on his farm. When I went to move it yesterday it was fine in reverse but had very little power in first and when I checked the torque convertor fluid level there was nothing showing on the dip stick. There was however a nice damp spot under the gearbox so it looks like reconditioning the torque convertor may be the first job to cut my teeth on so its just as well Im fairly competent with the spanners if this is my introduction to JCB ownership :roll:

Can you tell me if it is a standard ATF I need or is it a JCB specified fluid that I need to get to refill the TC and get her moved?

There's never a dull moment around my place :dizzy:

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:35 pm

GrunterNI wrote:From the engine number mine is a 1984 with the Perkins 4.236.

The different projects and cab colours mean very little to me atm so its good to know what I have actually bought especially for ordering parts which may have to be sooner rather than later. The guy I bought it from mentioned and in fairness showed me a "slight" leak underneath and said it was using about half a litre of fluid over a days work pushing and shifting dung on his farm. When I went to move it yesterday it was fine in reverse but had very little power in first and when I checked the torque convertor fluid level there was nothing showing on the dip stick. There was however a nice damp spot under the gearbox so it looks like reconditioning the torque convertor may be the first job to cut my teeth on so its just as well Im fairly competent with the spanners if this is my introduction to JCB ownership :roll:

Can you tell me if it is a standard ATF I need or is it a JCB specified fluid that I need to get to refill the TC and get her moved?

There's never a dull moment around my place :dizzy:

Looks like an early black cab model. You have the all glass door?
What type of fwd rev shift do you have? Electric indicator type lever on the column or a big manual lever with a chunky knob?

Slooby

Post #9 by Slooby » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Do the all-glass doors indicate black cab then Pete? Mine is definitely an '87 on a D but has the all-glass doors too. Seeing as how the steel-framed doors rot out, it's possible that older machines were retro-fitted with them as replacements

Topic author
GrunterNI

Post #10 by GrunterNI » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:01 am

Yep, all glass doors and the big shift lever as you say, which strangely will only select forward after having been put into reverse first.

Return to “Member Introductions”