Hello all.

Feel free to introduce yourself here.
Tell us where you are from and how you found CMN!

argie
Flag: Wales

Re: Hello all.

Post #11 by argie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:28 pm

Welcome to the Forum Nick
Paul

IBH

Post #12 by IBH » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:06 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Topic author
Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Post #13 by Hugh Jaleak » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:57 am

Thankyou all for your welcome. Its nice to see pictures of machines that were previously only memories. Watching my home town being dug up as a child in the late 70's/early 80's gave me a lifelong passion for machines, especially 360's.

Started back in 1978 with the installation of a massive culvert and upgraded foul sewer through the town, A. Lilley Construction of Wellingborough had a team of 3 Priestman Mustang's doing the excavating assisted by a Cat 943 and JCB 3C, NCK Rapier cranes for lifting the box culvert sctions where it wasn't cast in situ.

1980 saw phase 2 go ahead, this time a Poclain Rubber Duck digging, not sure of size as it was it the blue livery of Kimbell Construction of Northampton, but I'm guessing a 75. Assisted by an International 3434 and a few dumpers.

1987 saw me on site for my work experience with the clerk of works on a flood relief scheme on a local housing estate. Basically upgrading (by a massive margin) the sewers to take the flow during heavy rainfall. Plant there was a Liebherr A902, JCB 3C and 805B, Thwaites dumpers. I was let loose on the 805 during school holidays, picked it up straight away and been hooked ever since.

Not averse to a spot of demolition either. This area was built on boot and shoe manufacture, sadly the industry has been in steady decline with foreign imports taking the work away. Many old factories been cleared for redevelopment, watched one come down during summer hols 1998. O&K RH9 with hammer, old but still some tool. Did see driver trying to get out rear window of the cab when more of the building came down than he bargained for! Cat 215 with shear, Cat 955L and Cat wheeled shovel also on the job. Then the old Co-Op in 1989, they had a massive presence in the town, sadly, no more. Demo guy got through 3 machines before he flattened the site though, used to run old JCB's. He did have an 8D, but used (and killed) a 5C, and 807 before using an early 806 to finish the job off.

Lastly a local guy who does demo and groundwork, long fan of MF kit. He used to run a 450S and 50D, only got a 180 Fermec now, but still have some pics of the 450S. Watched him and his old mate taking down a church hall that had succombed to dry rot back in early 80's. Absolute pair of nutters, safety didnt seem to come into it! Still think back and smile!

tim

Post #14 by tim » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:32 pm

Welcome to the forum Nick,found this pic of one of Lilley's 963's in an old Leverton brochure :thumbs_up: Tim
AL1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Hugh Jaleak

Post #15 by Hugh Jaleak » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:43 pm

Cheers Tim, Lilley were quite a big concern I think, looking at the size of the job they took on doing the culvert here. I have a picture of a Cat 212 rubber duck belonging to them on a road job somewhere, not on computer though so cant post it. They ran quite a few tippers and skip motors too, their operations scaled back towards the end, just running a couple of tippers. Sadly no longer a going concern. I think my old gaffer at the scrapyard set up in skip hire when he saw a gap in the market following the demise of Lilley's skip business. We were running 3 18 tonners, 2 7.5 tonners, a REL and a Bulk artic at the peak.

Kimbell Construction are now defunct too, believe they were also related to Midland Vibrating Roller Hire. Kimbell ran a fleet of Poclain rubber ducks and Akerman tracked machines.

Return to “Member Introductions”