Couple of tired old girls!!

Discuss haulers/dump trucks here

Topic author
dozeron

Couple of tired old girls!!

Post #1 by dozeron » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:57 pm

Found these two derelict Dart dumptrucks on a Chinaclay minesite in Northland New Zealand. There were lying in a paddock along with an early model IHC 2T-75 motorscraper and an old Cat grader, possibly a N#11. All were in a similar condition, rusted and wrecked. What a shame to see equipment go this way. I think there was a third truck that had been saved and possibly stored undercover, but not really sure. They may have been part of a small fleet of trucks bought into NZ in the 50/60s for a Government project, but cant confirm that. I think I took the photos in the 1990s. I would think they would have been reasonably rare in this part of the world, does anyone know of any others?
Dozeron.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nick Drew

Re: Couple of tired old girls!!

Post #2 by Nick Drew » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi Dozeron,

Is that an old Hymac in the background in the second shot?? painted red & white??

Great old pics as always Dozeron :thumbs_up:

Nick

Topic author
dozeron

Post #3 by dozeron » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:59 am

Hi Nick,
Sorry I cant answer that, didnt get close enough for a close look.

rvannatta

Post #4 by rvannatta » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:34 am

dozeron wrote:Found these two derelict Dart dumptrucks on a Chinaclay minesite in Northland New Zealand. There were lying in a paddock along with an early model IHC 2T-75 motorscraper and an old Cat grader, possibly a N#11. All were in a similar condition, rusted and wrecked. What a shame to see equipment go this way. I think there was a third truck that had been saved and possibly stored undercover, but not really sure. They may have been part of a small fleet of trucks bought into NZ in the 50/60s for a Government project, but cant confirm that. I think I took the photos in the 1990s. I would think they would have been reasonably rare in this part of the world, does anyone know of any others?
Dozeron.

Dart, I believe, is a trade name of Kenworth--- a subsidiary of Pacific Car and Foundary (now PACCAR) based in Seattle Washington. -- a local outfit (to me).

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #5 by Holger » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:58 am

Hi Robert, you are completely right:
The Company entered the heavy-duty truck market in 1945 with its first major acquisition, Kenworth Motor Truck Company of Seattle. Pacific Car and Foundry greatly expanded its heavy-duty truck capability with the purchase of Peterbilt Motors Company in 1958. That same year, the acquisition of Dart Truck Company permitted its entry into the entirely new market of mining vehicles.

http://www.paccar.com/heritage/default.asp
Some resources:
How-To

Ross

Post #6 by Ross » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:44 pm

Nice pics 8-)
Couple of tired old girls

Thats an understatment :o
Is that an old Hymac in the background in the second shot?? painted red & white??
ha ha ha Nick. Good eyes :thumbs_up:

Ross

rvannatta

Post #7 by rvannatta » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:14 pm

Holger wrote:Hi Robert, you are completely right:
The Company entered the heavy-duty truck market in 1945 with its first major acquisition, Kenworth Motor Truck Company of Seattle. Pacific Car and Foundry greatly expanded its heavy-duty truck capability with the purchase of Peterbilt Motors Company in 1958. That same year, the acquisition of Dart Truck Company permitted its entry into the entirely new market of mining vehicles.

http://www.paccar.com/heritage/default.asp

They also made log stackers, and even bought a start up that made log skidders, and made a familar brand of towing winches for bull dozers under the name "Carco"

Their foundary was able to make the big axle housings which gave them a competitive advantage.

rayman

Post #8 by rayman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:47 am

dead give-away dozeron, thats up on the Tippany Tablelands between Kaeo and Matauri bay.That pit has been in litigation for some years now. people ripping people off big time. That is the purest form of kaolin clay known. There is another smaller bed at Kiripaka, near Ngunguru. American interest have been trying to grab it for a long time to make heat shield tiles.

deanmarie

Post #9 by deanmarie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:10 am

Although I note a significant time period since the last posted thread on these Dart dump trucks I am able to offer some information on their history as they were part of my childhood.

Prior to this current owner (which was correctly identified as the clay pit for Crown Lynn near Matauri Bay) they were owned by my father, Charlie Short previously of Waiuku, now residing in Sunshine Coast, Queensland Australia.

These two shown were 2/3 owned and sold as a package, with the third unit never taken possession of and remained in storage in Westport at the time of sale.

Both units at Matauri were in operation in late 70's as I recall a site visit and seeing the trucks working in the pit.

One of the two units was purchased by Charlie in early 70's when it was working at New Zealand Steel Glenbrook steel works and was owned privately at this time.

The second unit was in long term storage in Westport with its third sister, and Charlie took possession of one of them in about 1975, drove it down the hill to Picton ferry, and was road transported from Wellington to Drury, and then driven to Waiuku for refurbishment. I recall spending weekends working on the truck and attempting to remove remaining clay soil that had remained in the body for many years.

To the best of my recollection, after Glenbrook these trucks were subsequently engaged on coal mine for Meremere Power station, Carrington Technical Institute construction in late 1970's, with last known project prior being on Mangatangi Dam construction. Deemed less suitable at Mangatangi these units were sold and then commenced at Matauri Bay thereafter.

The Darts were replaced at Mangatangi with two Euclids, purchased from Len Reddy, one with RR engine and other with GM 671.

Of some interest, these Darts were powered by Hercules Diesels, and Charlie had procured many engine parts from a trip to US in 1974. New owner never came to pick them up, and I suggest they would have gone to scrap when Charlie relocated to Australia in late 80's.

The old man will be pleased to see them in spite of their condition, and I am yet to let him know of these pictures andf this thread.

Be interested to know if they are still alive?

Return to “Haulers/Dump Trucks”