A30D fuel primer, electric/manual

Discuss haulers/dump trucks here

Topic author
si25

A30D fuel primer, electric/manual

Post #1 by si25 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:47 pm

hi, my first post on here so firstly hello.
secondly, has anyone had much grief from the fuel filter housings on A30D's (D9engine (later)) two of the 6 trucks i look after have, only recently started to use half the fuel in the secondary flter, then refuse to start. so i am told, if the smallest bit of shit gets onto the filet head, there is a one-way valve in there, it will do this but it is not a persistant fault, neither does it happen when it is cold or hot. maybe after the operator stops for breakfast one day and the next week monday morning it just wont start.
cheers. si
"toy soldier"

nick lamb

Re: A30D fuel primer, electric/manual

Post #2 by nick lamb » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:44 am

Wellcome to the forum :thumbs_up: .I can't help you with your dumpers mate but we do have a resident fitter here that goes by the name of 'TC' aka Tony Coates.I'm sure he'll sort you out if he reads the thread.

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by tctractors » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:23 pm

Hi si, (I like that) Volvo motors have often given me trouble with fuel lift pumps or injection pumps, most of the time its down to the fuel storage/filling system on the site, the static tank beats the towed about bowser with the pipe dragging behind it, the muck in the valve has to be put in the tank first ( see driver for details ) if only 1 truck seems to play up mostly, I would check the level of fuel in the tank every time it calfs' down just in case its picked up another illness other than muck in the tank,dont foget the priming pump sucks in and pressures out so any crap in a non return valve can make things messey, good to see you on the forum.

tctractors

go back

Post #4 by go back » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:32 pm

had the same sort of problem with 25D at work changed head from electric to manual and it seamed to cure the problem :doh:

Topic author
si25

Post #5 by si25 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:31 pm

cheers guys, spoke at length to volvo's support people. turns out that there is a running fault with the D series trucks; the filter heads and electric pumps go down letting in air. it starts by once or twice not starting in a week, then after time and use will repeatedly refuse to go. as TC says, it is down to quality and cleanliness of fuel affecting a non return valve.
for reference, the other month volvo were selling the whole kit to convert the D series electirc type primer and filter head to mechanical pump type at a reduced rate.
si25
"toy soldier"

Return to “Haulers/Dump Trucks”