JCB compactors?

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

JCB compactors?

Post #1 by Gavin Phillips » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:28 pm

On my way home from the cinema, I spotted a JCB double drum asphalt compactor today, probably about the size of a Bomag BW120 so not a large unit by any means but I had no idea they even built such machines. Have JCB took over a smaller company to break into this field (like what usually happens), maybe they're re-badged or purely an indigenous design?

No pictures sadly!

Best regards

Gavin
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

liamkav
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB compactors?

Post #2 by liamkav » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:34 pm

They bought Vibromax a few years ago i think.

70's steve

Post #3 by 70's steve » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Post #4 by Gavin Phillips » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:50 pm

70's steve wrote:hi all ,
take your pick what one it was lol
http://www.jcb.co.uk/products/Machines/Compaction-Equipment/Vibratory-Tandem-Rollers.aspx

Certainly not the last one! 8-) That's quite a comprehensive line up of these compactors they have then, should suit most smaller job applications really.

As far as the Vibromax buy-out goes, for quite a few years the demolition firm Thompsons of Prudhoe used Case Vibromax compactors on their sites; the single drum and rubber tyred kind. It seems these have been replaced on most sites by the similar CAT CS-563 machines. But as far as Vibromax went, it was part of the Case company, unless it has de-merged and formed a merger with JCB now?

This is one thing I love about looking into the different companies, there's so much going on, it never gets boring! :insomnia:

Best regards

Gavin

Hutch

Post #5 by Hutch » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Vibromax were part of the Teneco group who owned Case,Poclain but were demerged when parts of the group were sold off and for some years traded from Gerrmany with no dealers in the UK. I remember working on these rollers in the mid eighties and at that time they had an easy rider appearance as they were longer and lower than the Bomag 130 with the same large operators seat that was fitted to Blaw Knox,s.The steering joint was a weak point with one roller collapsing in the middle, but they were nowhere near as bad as the abysmal Benford rollers.The larger rollers in the range were rebadged Bitteli rollers.

Regards
Paul

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Post #6 by Gavin Phillips » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:33 pm

Hutch wrote:Vibromax were part of the Teneco group who owned Case,Poclain but were demerged when parts of the group were sold off and for some years traded from Gerrmany with no dealers in the UK. I remember working on these rollers in the mid eighties and at that time they had an easy rider appearance as they were longer and lower than the Bomag 130 with the same large operators seat that was fitted to Blaw Knox,s.The steering joint was a weak point with one roller collapsing in the middle, but they were nowhere near as bad as the abysmal Benford rollers.The larger rollers in the range were rebadged Bitteli rollers.

Regards
Paul

Thank you for that information Paul. I am somewhat familiar with the Bitelli company but only because of the number of asphalt pavers kicking around here in the past which were their products; the BB650 especially was a popular machine in this area during the housing/residential construction boom; mostly accompanied with larger HAMM and smaller Bomag rollers and the ubiquitous MF (or later JCB) front loaders for paver loading duties.

And as I predicted, that JCB roller is now no-where to be seen. But its been a learning curve for me so its served its purpose. :rockon:

Thanks again.

Hugh Jaleak

Post #7 by Hugh Jaleak » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:37 pm

May interest you to know Gavin, although this type of roller is a recent venture for JCB, they did make a compactor version of the JCB 428 some years ago for landfill/soil compaction duties. Local landfill had one (and a Cat 953) when the County Council operated the site. (Gone a bit bigger now, with a Cat 963 and a large Bomag compactor under SITA's ownership!)

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Post #8 by Gavin Phillips » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:May interest you to know Gavin, although this type of roller is a recent venture for JCB, they did make a compactor version of the JCB 428 some years ago for landfill/soil compaction duties. Local landfill had one (and a Cat 953) when the County Council operated the site. (Gone a bit bigger now, with a Cat 963 and a large Bomag compactor under SITA's ownership!)

Hi Hugh

I recall the JCB 428, there was a small landfill site semi-local to me who had one. Can't remember who the operator was but I saw it a couple of times. The same machine was actually featured in an episode of the comedy sketch series "The Fast Show" with Paul Whitehouse being part of the background! Its probably a housing estate or car park now...machine most likely long since been scrapped.

Looking at JCB's lineup, it does seem quite logical to expand their compact plant range to include small compactors, they already have a decent share in the mini excavator and compact backhoe/loader market. Their mini telescopic forklifts are getting more popular around this area as well; taking over from Manitou in that regard.

Interesting times.

Return to “Paving Equipment”