something different ???

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
70's steve
Flag: Great Britain

something different ???

Post #1 by 70's steve » Thu May 30, 2013 5:35 pm

hi all ,
was looking at the heavy haulage section and found this picture by neversweat steve , what do you reckon gentleman ??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Re: something different ???

Post #2 by martyn williams » Thu May 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Pretty neat idea to carry out that task :thumbup:
Martyn

ruston

Post #3 by ruston » Thu May 30, 2013 8:04 pm

When the test track at the Toyota factory at Burnaston was being constructed they used a roller which was pulled up and down the banking by a winch on a dozer. The paver was a special one built for the task, it travelled around the banking but the drivers seat and engine etc was upright so that the operator was always in the normal sitting position, it looked strange when it was sitting on level ground! The material (wet mix from Tilcon at Ballidon and coated from RMC at Washwood Heath) was taken by elevator to the paver. It must have been a well paying job as the paver was built especially for that one job.

Pete.

neilc

Post #4 by neilc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:39 am

ruston wrote:When the test track at the Toyota factory at Burnaston was being constructed they used a roller which was pulled up and down the banking by a winch on a dozer. The paver was a special one built for the task, it travelled around the banking but the drivers seat and engine etc was upright so that the operator was always in the normal sitting position, it looked strange when it was sitting on level ground! The material (wet mix from Tilcon at Ballidon and coated from RMC at Washwood Heath) was taken by elevator to the paver. It must have been a well paying job as the paver was built especially for that one job.

Pete.

Hello Pete ,did you ever run material to Tilcons job at MIRA ? off the A5 near Nuneaton where because of the gradients they apparently bolted two BKs together while surfacing the test track ,that would be back in the 90s. Never saw it myself so don"t know how much truth is in that bit of folklore. Regards Neil

ruston

Post #5 by ruston » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:31 pm

neilc wrote:Hello Pete ,did you ever run material to Tilcons job at MIRA ? off the A5 near Nuneaton where because of the gradients they apparently bolted two BKs together while surfacing the test track ,that would be back in the 90s. Never saw it myself so don"t know how much truth is in that bit of folklore. Regards Neil

We did a fair bit at MIRA over the years Neil, though our quarry at Mancetter (Atherstone) was only a few miles away so they did more. I cannot recall two machines fastened together but the we didn't get involved much in the banking jobs as granite was normally used, however one of Mancetter's Fodens fell on its side on the banking. I remember going around the banking in a laden eight wheeler, I was following the roller and paver so was only going slowly and it was pretty scary I can tell you! The banking at Toyota WAS steep, we were told that 60mph minimum was needed to keep a car on it.
We also surfaced the test tracks at Gaydon and the Lucas/Girling one at Fen End near Solihull.

Pete.

neilc

Post #6 by neilc » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:40 am

ruston wrote:
neilc wrote:Hello Pete ,did you ever run material to Tilcons job at MIRA ? off the A5 near Nuneaton where because of the gradients they apparently bolted two BKs together while surfacing the test track ,that would be back in the 90s. Never saw it myself so don"t know how much truth is in that bit of folklore. Regards Neil

We did a fair bit at MIRA over the years Neil, though our quarry at Mancetter (Atherstone) was only a few miles away so they did more. I cannot recall two machines fastened together but the we didn't get involved much in the banking jobs as granite was normally used, however one of Mancetter's Fodens fell on its side on the banking. I remember going around the banking in a laden eight wheeler, I was following the roller and paver so was only going slowly and it was pretty scary I can tell you! The banking at Toyota WAS steep, we were told that 60mph minimum was needed to keep a car on it.
We also surfaced the test tracks at Gaydon and the Lucas/Girling one at Fen End near Solihull.

Pete.

Hello Pete ,I know what you mean , I did quite a lot of work at the Millbrook circuit in Bedfordshire some years back , some of the gradients maybe 1 in 10 or less and savage crossfalls on severe curves you think you are going to tip clean over , really does focus the mind ! By the way Pete who manufactured the paver for the Toyota job ? Regards Neil

widget

Post #7 by widget » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:15 pm

Good stuff Steve,
Is it a giant extruder curb machine :lol:

Neil, i worked at Millbrook a few times over the years, i once went round in a Foden low loader with all the kit on the back, It sure made your ar_e grip the seat!!
I want to rust out not wear out

widget

Post #8 by widget » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi Steve,
I also found this that Neversweat Steve has posted.
I recognise the Alberet PTR,s but not the machines, Dynapacs maybe, any ideas guys?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I want to rust out not wear out

ruston

Post #9 by ruston » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:08 pm

neilc wrote:Hello Pete ,I know what you mean , I did quite a lot of work at the Millbrook circuit in Bedfordshire some years back , some of the gradients maybe 1 in 10 or less and savage crossfalls on severe curves you think you are going to tip clean over , really does focus the mind ! By the way Pete who manufactured the paver for the Toyota job ? Regards Neil

Hi Neil, alas I cannot recall the manufacturer and of course in those days (about a dozen years or more ago) I didn't carry a camera with me! It was painted yellow if that helps!!! ;) Thinking it may have been German perhaps? We were told that it and the roller were specially constructed for that one job so it was obviously worth the expense, I guess that it would be a long time before it would be used again?

Just seen this on Youtube, not the same sort of machine but still interesting. I wonder about engine lubrication? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DshG_XG_fJY

Pete.

Topic author
70's steve

Post #10 by 70's steve » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:55 pm

i'll never moan about working on a hill again :o :lol:

Return to “Paving Equipment”