Help with old Benford pedestrian roller

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
pigglet

Help with old Benford pedestrian roller

Post #1 by pigglet » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:34 am

Hello, I've aquired what I think is a Benford Pedestrian roller. It starts and runs fine (bit noisy with no exhaust!!!) but loses drive. I think it's sheared the rubber drive bobbins on the driven side of the drum. Does anyone know if this is a common fault and if so whats invovlved in fixing them? Any help identifying the model would be a hugely appreciated too!
Thanks in advance

David

70's steve
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Help with old Benford pedestrian roller

Post #2 by 70's steve » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:18 pm

certainly an old benford , now terex make them
http://www.terex.com/construction/en/products/new-equipment/compaction-rollers/single-drum-rollers/
also looks like an outer engine casement is missing to , but some of the other members here will be able to help more ,

widget

Post #3 by widget » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Hello Dave and welcome to the site, :thumbup:
Looks like you've got yourself a Benford MBR71 with a Lister LT 1 engine (mind your wrist).
From first glance it looks like your drive rubbers have failed behind the chain drive casing.....it also looks like the the rubbers on the opposite side have already been replaced ( the easy side). So i would start there to find your drive fault.
Sorry but from my really poor memory i think you will have to do a fairly large strip down to get to these, by removing the opposite side to the drive chain side (left hand side) and then pulling the drum away from the drive chain case.
Heres a link to one supplier so you know what you need and the rough prices.http://www.lsengineers.co.uk/small-plant-spares/heavy-plant-spares/bomag-benford-spares.html These parts are still readily available because this roller a similar roller is still produced under the Terex name with an electric start. There are many other suppliers if you give it a google, as this is a common fault.
Have fun
Richard (also a newbie)
I want to rust out not wear out

widget

Post #4 by widget » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Dave just to note.....make sure your hydrostatic drive unit is filled with oil.... if the drive rubbers are intact and the unit is filled with oil then then its most probably your hydrostatic drive unit at fault .....
I want to rust out not wear out

Topic author
pigglet

Post #5 by pigglet » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 am

Excellent, thanks very much for the info guys! I've got the outer engine casing but removed it for the photos if thats the thing in the top picture near the hound. It has what appears to be quite a large ID plate on it but none of the data is legible.

She actually starts really well, the tricky bit is flicking the decompressor shut whilst still cranking but she fires immeadiately when warm and doesn't take much cranking from cold unless it's below zero.

I'll have a shufty on that site you mentioned Richard and price up some bits before we start ripping it to bits. Once we start I'll post some pics and info in case it's usefull for anyone else.

Once again, many thanks :thumbup:

Topic author
pigglet

Post #6 by pigglet » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:33 am

widget wrote:Dave just to note.....make sure your hydrostatic drive unit is filled with oil.... if the drive rubbers are intact and the unit is filled with oil then then its most probably your hydrostatic drive unit at fault .....

That was actually the first thing I checked, I topped it up straight away and made sure it was full, I'm sure its just the drive rubbers because the driven flange rotates smoothly, it just doesn't take the drum with it..... :lol:

Tim_Arnold

Post #7 by Tim_Arnold » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi not been on here for a while :wave: but just acquired a "new" piece of kit.
Very similar to the above, main differences, water tank is part of the right hand cover and starting handle goes into a casting with a sleeve. Also has the same dent in the diesel tank!!.
Everything seems to work OK except intermittently when on load the engine will race away and chuck out clouds of grey/black smoke then after a few seconds returns to normal. and suggestions appreciated. :dizzy:
Also it has a breaker with it works but not much power, dosen't seem to put much load onto the engine when working.
Tim Arnold
http://www.parklandsholidays.co.uk
JCB 3D3, Benford 1ton Dumper, Benford Pedestrian Roller.

leeflude

Post #8 by leeflude » Sun May 17, 2020 7:24 pm

pigglet wrote:Excellent, thanks very much for the info guys! I've got the outer engine casing but removed it for the photos if thats the thing in the top picture near the hound. It has what appears to be quite a large ID plate on it but none of the data is legible.

She actually starts really well, the tricky bit is flicking the decompressor shut whilst still cranking but she fires immeadiately when warm and doesn't take much cranking from cold unless it's below zero.

I'll have a shufty on that site you mentioned Richard and price up some bits before we start ripping it to bits. Once we start I'll post some pics and info in case it's usefull for anyone else.

Once again, many thanks :thumbup:

Hi did you ever get the drum off i have a similar machine and i need to dismantle to get to a colapsed bearing.
Chher regards lee

leeflude

Post #9 by leeflude » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:53 pm

leeflude

Post #10 by leeflude » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:54 pm

Drum had to come off

Return to “Paving Equipment”