Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

neilc
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Remember these

Post #21 by neilc » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:33 pm

mick h wrote:
neilc wrote:
mick h wrote:Hi all
Neil, I remember working with you in Milton Keynes around 1992ish, I'd been in the game a good 10 years then, starting as a rakehand and moving onto driving a Blaw Knox, and then obviously onto the screws, but I remember you cleaning the road up with I think it was a BK191 with a fixed screed like a tractor bucket. I know that the screwman I first drove for would have clouted me round the tab if I'd have used a screed for that, but I was amazed at your skill on the BK's. Happy days, when I get talking to the young lads in my gang all good drivers and screwman get bought up into conversation as I reminisce and I always bring up your name as I thought you were a cracking BK driver.
Cheers.

Hello all ,Mick thank you for your kind compliments ,I all ways tried to save the men on the ground as much work as possible I was taught that was part of a paver operators job .Certainly I have to give credit to the men who taught me , they don't make them like that any more !In a much earlier post I mentioned how I took over from my uncle on the M25 on a late PF90. One day whilst laying I came slightly of the driveline ,(bad news when operating with a fixed screed )a man by the name of Ritchie Diggin who I have spoken of in previous posts was screwing n/s I was driving n/s ,he shouted at me "Campbell your coming of the !!!!!!!!!!!! drive line " I told him to "go away" ,in an instant he was on the screed side arm and smacked me straight in the jaw! He meant no malice by it ,and I never held it against him .This was just their way of schooling ,instant and brutal, but it focussed my mind and enthusiasm, I didn't come of the driveline again .That scenario would be frowned upon now but I have no regrets only respect .As you know well Mick the long service men already in the job when we joined were a very different breed to today. Regards Neil

Hi Neil,
Too true, I remember I was a driver on a PF90, we were laying hot rolled asphalt on a long carriageway once, can you remember the big lugged shoes that used lug onto the side plate that you used to dig a grass sod off the side of the road and put it on top of the shoe to stop asphalt leaking behind, well the screwman I drove for was a very vocal and big chap, the first mat was I remember a doddle just following kerb, no probs , but second mat with lugged shoe in matching hot roll was a art. If you wandered a inch it was a couple of yards before you corrected it, poor old raker and screwman giving me some F's and B's, I soon learnt to keep that bloody machine on the joint with a slight touch on my slewing brake. Happy days though.
Regards.

Hello Mick, yes I remember the BK cut off shoe we used to wrap hot roll in rags and pack it in to the shoe as it assumed the profile of the screed as you worked , but I would say grass clods would do the job just as well !As you say Mick a few gang members getting volatile focusses the mind like no college course can and it works !As you say mate HAPPY DAYS ! Regards Neil

Topic author
widget

Post #22 by widget » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:08 am

neilc wrote:
widget wrote:Hi all, :wave:

I was fortunate to be trained to operate pavers by Mickey Tinker :bow: (Tarmac Corby) on his BK90 before we got onto the M40 construction job. So after laying a few thousand tons and the building up/knocking down the screeds of various machines on the M40..... I got my very own BK 8-) (ive got some photos in the loft that i will dig out and post). I was then sent out on various jobs with MY machine to work, sometimes the only Tarmac Roadstone employee with a gang of subbies.

So during the winter while the temps weren't rising enough to lay, 5 degrees and rising (Does this still happen?) . I was sent down to Blaw Knox with other Tarmac Roadstone lads.... Long time ago now!.... dredging through the names, Barry white, Jimmy Cullen ( :doh: im trying to remember but im sure you can throw some more in for me). The lads were from Alfs gang in chesterfield and Walt Wibleys gang in Blyth (or Paul Rodgers gang i think- Known as Kawa)- And of course me from Terry Coulsons gang running out of Corby.... Come on guys help me here and then the names will start flowing.
Anyway after a great week at the factory (and bl**dy good nights :dizzy: ) I was sent one of these in the post.

So do any of you remember these and did you go?

Regards

Richard

Hello Richard, dug these out you may have some you may not, this is when Tarmac had health & safety about right, not the OTT regime they operate today administered by people who have never operated in the field.

Hi Neil,
Nice mug shots.....Whos the young pup in the first one :lol:
Interesting to see in the tick boxes, as i quoted in an earlier post, authorised to drive autherised to operate :brravo:
I want to rust out not wear out

Topic author
widget

Post #23 by widget » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:18 am

neilc wrote:
widget wrote:Hi Neil,
Thats the same chap, Billy was in the gang shown here in the photo wearing the black baseball cap, im operating the machine but Neil is not there. He may have on the sick, i remember he came down with mumps, the poor chap as you said was a very well built lad and he needed a wheel barrow to carry his nackers in!He spent quite a few days just sitting on the screed because he couldn't walk :wtf:
Regards
Richard

Hello Richard , just to update you Billy O Neil is now supervising Tony Davys gang on what was Foster Yeomans and is now Bardons down in the London and south west area.I always found Billy a decent well clued up gent to work with . I'm sure the big Neil you refer to was with Billy on the A14 Catthorpe - Kettering, again switched on ,sound lad .On another tangent Richard what have you done with the inspection cover for the engine bay on that machine ?Or maybe you just enjoyed listening to that 6 cylinder Ford working, HAHA .Regards Neil

My machine went to another gang for 2 weeks and came back to me in an a right mess as you can see, i was gutted :cry:
That bloody engine got on my wick until they replaced the cover. It took ages to get one and the only reason they got me one was because i kept banging on about the engine would overheat because it had lost its correct airflow.
I want to rust out not wear out

neilc

Post #24 by neilc » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:22 pm

widget wrote:
neilc wrote:
widget wrote:Hi all, :wave:

I was fortunate to be trained to operate pavers by Mickey Tinker :bow: (Tarmac Corby) on his BK90 before we got onto the M40 construction job. So after laying a few thousand tons and the building up/knocking down the screeds of various machines on the M40..... I got my very own BK 8-) (ive got some photos in the loft that i will dig out and post). I was then sent out on various jobs with MY machine to work, sometimes the only Tarmac Roadstone employee with a gang of subbies.

So during the winter while the temps weren't rising enough to lay, 5 degrees and rising (Does this still happen?) . I was sent down to Blaw Knox with other Tarmac Roadstone lads.... Long time ago now!.... dredging through the names, Barry white, Jimmy Cullen ( :doh: im trying to remember but im sure you can throw some more in for me). The lads were from Alfs gang in chesterfield and Walt Wibleys gang in Blyth (or Paul Rodgers gang i think- Known as Kawa)- And of course me from Terry Coulsons gang running out of Corby.... Come on guys help me here and then the names will start flowing.
Anyway after a great week at the factory (and bl**dy good nights :dizzy: ) I was sent one of these in the post.

So do any of you remember these and did you go?

Regards

Richard

Hello Richard, dug these out you may have some you may not, this is when Tarmac had health & safety about right, not the OTT regime they operate today administered by people who have never operated in the field.

Hi Neil,
Nice mug shots.....Whos the young pup in the first one :lol:
Interesting to see in the tick boxes, as i quoted in an earlier post, authorised to drive autherised to operate :brravo:

Hello Richard , they are both me first one is at Tarmacs office at Ellistown nr Coalville ,second one was taken on the M1 when we resurfaced from Luton to Flitwick north and south . As I recall I was covered from head to foot in tack coat that day !Regards Neil

Return to “Paving Equipment”