Remember these

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
widget
Flag: Great Britain

Remember these

Post #1 by widget » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:09 am

Hi all, :wave:

I was fortunate to be trained to operate pavers by Mickey Tinker :bow: (Tarmac Corby) on his BK90 before we got onto the M40 construction job. So after laying a few thousand tons and the building up/knocking down the screeds of various machines on the M40..... I got my very own BK 8-) (ive got some photos in the loft that i will dig out and post). I was then sent out on various jobs with MY machine to work, sometimes the only Tarmac Roadstone employee with a gang of subbies.

So during the winter while the temps weren't rising enough to lay, 5 degrees and rising (Does this still happen?) . I was sent down to Blaw Knox with other Tarmac Roadstone lads.... Long time ago now!.... dredging through the names, Barry white, Jimmy Cullen ( :doh: im trying to remember but im sure you can throw some more in for me). The lads were from Alfs gang in chesterfield and Walt Wibleys gang in Blyth (or Paul Rodgers gang i think- Known as Kawa)- And of course me from Terry Coulsons gang running out of Corby.... Come on guys help me here and then the names will start flowing.
Anyway after a great week at the factory (and bl**dy good nights :dizzy: ) I was sent one of these in the post.

So do any of you remember these and did you go?

Regards

Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I want to rust out not wear out

mick h

Re: Remember these

Post #2 by mick h » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:52 pm

widget wrote:Hi all, :wave:

I was fortunate to be trained to operate pavers by Mickey Tinker :bow: (Tarmac Corby) on his BK90 before we got onto the M40 construction job. So after laying a few thousand tons and the building up/knocking down the screeds of various machines on the M40..... I got my very own BK 8-) (ive got some photos in the loft that i will dig out and post). I was then sent out on various jobs with MY machine to work, sometimes the only Tarmac Roadstone employee with a gang of subbies.

So during the winter while the temps weren't rising enough to lay, 5 degrees and rising (Does this still happen?) . I was sent down to Blaw Knox with other Tarmac Roadstone lads.... Long time ago now!.... dredging through the names, Barry white, Jimmy Cullen ( :doh: im trying to remember but im sure you can throw some more in for me). The lads were from Alfs gang in chesterfield and Walt Wibleys gang in Blyth (or Paul Rodgers gang i think- Known as Kawa)- And of course me from Terry Coulsons gang running out of Corby.... Come on guys help me here and then the names will start flowing.
Anyway after a great week at the factory (and bl**dy good nights :dizzy: ) I was sent one of these in the post.

Regards

Richard

Hi mate
I think the gang from chesterfield was Bill Parkers gang, and of course I knew Walt Wibley, 1st time I met him was on M1 A42 link, he was as p****d as a newt, and that was 7.30 in the morning.

Topic author
widget

Post #3 by widget » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Hello mick,
Yep your right, wasn't Bill Parker the supervisor, and as for Walt, the last time I saw him I was working for Bardons and Walt was a subby with Tripod. Think he was still Bladdered !!

mick h

Post #4 by mick h » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:46 pm

widget wrote:Hello mick,
Yep your right, wasn't Bill Parker the supervisor, and as for Walt, the last time I saw him I was working for Bardons and Walt was a subby with Tripod. Think he was still Bladdered !!

Hi mate
Yes there was only one Walt Wibley. I was at Bardons for about a year back around 1994ish working out of Coalville. Was you based at Peterborough?

Topic author
widget

Post #5 by widget » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:00 pm

mick h wrote:

Hi mate
Yes there was only one Walt Wibley. I was at Bardons for about a year back around 1994ish working out of Coalville. Was you based at Peterborough?

Hi Mick,
Yep I was working for Bardons out of Peterborough. I think in 94, Paul Ferguson (Ferg) was our gangs foreman (he used to travel down from Doncaster every day and always be on the job at 7am) and Baz Jordan was supervisor (He traveled across from Leicester). Both top bods.
I was driving a Blaw Knox 191 at the time :bow: and on smaller jobs i had a Bitelli BB650 :oops:
Our paths may have crossed at some point Mick, Everyone called me Dick, but not because of my machine skills :lol: Honest!
I recently heard that Bob Taylor (one ot our gangs screwmen at that time) Has just taken voluntary redundancy, he started out with Bardons in 90/91 i think. Not a bad run really!
I'm waffling now Mick!
You still on Blacktop?

mick h

Post #6 by mick h » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:43 pm

widget wrote:
mick h wrote:

Hi mate

Hi Mick,
Yep I was working for Bardons out of Peterborough. I think in 94, Paul Ferguson (Ferg) was our gangs foreman (he used to travel down from Doncaster every day and always be on the job at 7am) and Baz Jordan was supervisor (He traveled across from Leicester). Both top bods.
I was driving a Blaw Knox 191 at the time :bow: and on smaller jobs i had a Bitelli BB650 :oops:
Our paths may have crossed at some point Mick, Everyone called me Dick, but not because of my machine skills :lol: Honest!
I recently heard that Bob Taylor (one ot our gangs screwmen at that time) Has just taken voluntary redundancy, he started out with Bardons in 90/91 i think. Not a bad run really!
I'm waffling now Mick!
You still on Blacktop?

Yes mate I am still on blacktop, hard to change careers after 30 years :lol: I now work for Baz Jordan. I remember Ferg. Was'nt the manager down there a chap called Paul Simpson?

Topic author
widget

Post #7 by widget » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:03 pm

mick h wrote:
widget wrote:
mick h wrote:

Hi mate

Hi Mick,
I'm waffling now Mick!
You still on Blacktop?

Yes mate I am still on blacktop, hard to change careers after 30 years :lol: I now work for Baz Jordan. I remember Ferg. Was'nt the manager down there a chap called Paul Simpson?

Paul Simpson was a supervisor i think or was his name Chris Simpson.. remember him as Dib Dob! Again, I think my last manager was a chap called Jason Brown. Ive seen Jordans machines around and i often wondered if they were anything to do with Baz. He used to be a good bloke ,is he any good to work for?

mick h

Post #8 by mick h » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:06 pm

widget wrote:
mick h wrote:
widget wrote:
mick h wrote:

Hi mate

Hi Mick,
I'm waffling now Mick!
You still on Blacktop?

Paul Simpson was a supervisor i think or was his name Chris Simpson.. remember him as Dib Dob! Again, I think my last manager was a chap called Jason Brown. Ive seen Jordans machines around and i often wondered if they were anything to do with Baz. He used to be a good bloke ,is he any good to work for?

Yes mate he's sound. Yes it was Chris Simpson

neilc

Post #9 by neilc » Tue May 21, 2013 11:17 pm

mick h wrote:

Regards

Richard

Hi mate
I think the gang from chesterfield was Bill Parkers gang, and of course I knew Walt Wibley, 1st time I met him was on M1 A42 link, he was as p****d as a newt, and that was 7.30 in the morning.

Hello Richard working with same chaps today as Saturday I think the ex Watts/Bardon foremans name is Steve another chap called Neil both about 6 foot 2" and another former paver operator who is Andy Deans brother they remember you with glowing terms ! Don"t see many outfits abiding by the 5 and rising rule now it"s largely self policed.Is that the same Jimmy Cullen who went on to form Needham and Cullen?Did Alf end up in Pete Pearsons gang? I did go down to Rochester but only to pick up a stub axel ,I would have loved to see round the factory,what amazed me also was the amount of new machines waiting for onward shipment, where did it all go wrong ? Actually I think I know some of the answers to that question.As for Walt Wibley I think he sold up in Huntingdon and moved back up north after his wife died I think he is now retired.Regards Neil

Topic author
widget

Post #10 by widget » Wed May 22, 2013 10:15 pm

neilc wrote:
mick h wrote:

Regards

Richard

Hi mate

Hello Richard working with same chaps today as Saturday I think the ex Watts/Bardon foremans name is Steve another chap called Neil both about 6 foot 2" and another former paver operator who is Andy Deans brother they remember you with glowing terms ! Don"t see many outfits abiding by the 5 and rising rule now it"s largely self policed.Is that the same Jimmy Cullen who went on to form Needham and Cullen?Did Alf end up in Pete Pearsons gang? I did go down to Rochester but only to pick up a stub axel ,I would have loved to see round the factory,what amazed me also was the amount of new machines waiting for onward shipment, where did it all go wrong ? Actually I think I know some of the answers to that question.As for Walt Wibley I think he sold up in Huntingdon and moved back up north after his wife died I think he is now retired.Regards Neil

Hi Neil,
Still thinking about Steve and Neil ? will have to think harder :lol:
I know Roy Dean, we used to call him Trigger ( because he looked like Trig from only fools and horses).
Alf was in Petes gang then shortly after retired i think.
I think it was Barry Needham and definitely the same Jimmy Cullen.
As for the 5 and rising rule, you never see a roller driver with a punner now either.(we used to weld a tube onto the rollers to carry them)
The BK factory was amazing, and the courses they ran were second to none. I dont know if any of the manufacturers offer anything similar nowadays?
Didnt know about Walt and his wife, poor old bugger, i havent seen him for years.
I will keep thinking of the foremans names and let you know.
Regards
Richard

Return to “Paving Equipment”