Aveling Barford Roller

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

martyn williams

Re: Aveling Barford Roller

Post #11 by martyn williams » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:26 pm

The plug would have a square recess in its middle to put in a square ended bar to remove it.The moving weight is very low down
Martyn

Julian

Post #12 by Julian » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:42 pm

No, can't find any plugs on mine, even checked the wheel inside surface.

Changing the subject a little, did you see the price that the 'DX3' went for at auction in CP&M - £8500! Blimey. Actually i don't think it is a DX series, more likely to be a DR3. Here's a 15 ton DR that I think is the best clue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqHLVBKsAN0

Julian.

martyn williams

Post #13 by martyn williams » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Perhaps its not fitted for ballasting,not all were.If it was Pete Fordams sale in C P & M,all the machines were high priced.£27,000 for a D8 :dizzy:
Back on the roller front,I worked on an Aveling GD roller with a torque convertor fault.Took it for a test run,had a good turn of speed.
Will try to find my book on them and scan a few pages :thumbup:
Martyn

Topic author
woodie

Post #14 by woodie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:10 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:Perhaps its not fitted for ballasting,not all were.If it was Pete Fordams sale in C P & M,all the machines were high priced.£27,000 for a D8 :dizzy:
Back on the roller front,I worked on an Aveling GD roller with a torque convertor fault.Took it for a test run,had a good turn of speed.
Martyn

I would be interested in seeing that Martyn, I've ordered a couple of books from Amazon, one's a history on Aveling Barford, another is 100 years of Rollers, I'm hoping that I'll find out a bit more about my roller from them.
Gordon

Julian

Post #15 by Julian » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:07 pm

woodie wrote:
B100 LOADER wrote:Perhaps its not fitted for ballasting,not all were.If it was Pete Fordams sale in C P & M,all the machines were high priced.£27,000 for a D8 :dizzy:
Martyn

I would be interested in seeing that Martyn, I've ordered a couple of books from Amazon, one's a history on Aveling Barford, another is 100 years of Rollers, I'm hoping that I'll find out a bit more about my roller from them.
Gordon

You could join the RRA (Road Roller Association) maybe? Although to be honest there's more steam stuff in their little publications. Don't forget that if you take it out on the road then (legally) you need a Group G license :-(

Julian.

Topic author
woodie

Post #16 by woodie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Got a bit more time at the roller today, the fuel system is now back in working order. Tried the starter with a battery and a set of jump leads, but seems siezed solid, luckily we have a few fordies lying around and I was able to find a similar starter, so got that put on and tried with the jump leads and its spinning. Going to charge up the battery fully and hopefully see if I can get the engine fired into life tomorrow. Fingers crossed, lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
woodie

Post #17 by woodie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Had a look under the roller today and I see the weight movement system that was mentioned earlier in this post, a weight block about a couple of feet long lies in the chassis rails and moves with the help of wire ropes connected to a drive shaft operated by a handle (and I thought it was a starting handle that was lying in the cab, lol). Mine seems siezed, so thats another job that will need doing if and when I get it running.

mick h

Post #18 by mick h » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi mate
great project, is the engine a Ford 592E ? If so this is the engine Blaw Knox used to put in the early PF90s.
Also, I don't suppose you've got any Blaw Knox PF90s in that yard have you lol

Topic author
woodie

Post #19 by woodie » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm told its a ford engine, not sure about model numbers etc, but I'm assuming you'll be spot on. No we don't have any other stuff lying around, the roller was probably bought years ago for rolling in hardcore in our timber yard.

Topic author
woodie

Post #20 by woodie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Latest update; the starter got changed again, put the battery on properly and have got the starter turning the engine. Have arranged for the mechanic to come in on monday and we're going to try and get it fired up. Got the books in that I had ordered and one of them says that the GD range came in four sizes between 9 and 16 tons, not sure which one we have, probably one of the smaller ones though. I was hoping to find out a bit more info from the books, but it wasn't to be, worth getting though just for the history behind Aveling Barford

Return to “Paving Equipment”