Aveling Barford Roller

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Julian

Re: Aveling Barford Roller

Post #21 by Julian » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:18 pm

woodie wrote:Latest update; the starter got changed again, put the battery on properly and have got the starter turning the engine. Have arranged for the mechanic to come in on monday and we're going to try and get it fired up. Got the books in that I had ordered and one of them says that the GD range came in four sizes between 9 and 16 tons, not sure which one we have, probably one of the smaller ones though. I was hoping to find out a bit more info from the books, but it wasn't to be, worth getting though just for the history behind Aveling Barford

The Lincolnshire Achieves may have the records - certainly they do for Aveling as I got all the build sheets etc for my roller from them. I'd say it may be worth a phone call to see if they have records for your machine, if so they'll photocopy them and send them to your address for a few quid. You will get to find out when it was built, weight and who purchased it. (probably)

Julian.

Topic author
woodie

Post #22 by woodie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Julian wrote:
woodie wrote:Latest update; the starter got changed again, put the battery on properly and have got the starter turning the engine. Have arranged for the mechanic to come in on monday and we're going to try and get it fired up. Got the books in that I had ordered and one of them says that the GD range came in four sizes between 9 and 16 tons, not sure which one we have, probably one of the smaller ones though. I was hoping to find out a bit more info from the books, but it wasn't to be, worth getting though just for the history behind Aveling Barford

The Lincolnshire Achieves may have the records - certainly they do for Aveling as I got all the build sheets etc for my roller from them. I'd say it may be worth a phone call to see if they have records for your machine, if so they'll photocopy them and send them to your address for a few quid. You will get to find out when it was built, weight and who purchased it. (probably)

Julian.

Thanks for that Julian, I did find the website for the archives when searching for Aveling Barford, thought you had to visit in person though. I will look it up again and make contact with them.

Cheers m8

Topic author
woodie

Post #23 by woodie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:18 pm

good news, mechanic came in today, checked it out, found the diesel pump rack was siezed, a little spray of oil and gentle caressing with a small hammer freed it off, then with a squirt of aero the engine fired up and a few minutes later we had her driving round the yard. will post up pics tonight

70's steve
Flag: Great Britain

Post #24 by 70's steve » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:12 pm

thats great news woodie :brravo: can't wait to see the piccies, and film footage too ? well done again :bow:

martyn williams

Post #25 by martyn williams » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:23 pm

Great news :rockon:
Looking forward to the photos :thumbup:
Martyn

Topic author
woodie

Post #26 by woodie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Thanks for the comments guys (good idea about the video, will get around to that soon).

So relieved that it fired up today, even more chuffed about how easily she started too. She drives like a dream, only took her across the yard for a wash then took her back to her previous resting spot for the time being. Now that she's running, I'll have to sort out some electrics as at the moment she's being started by touching the battery feed against a starter terminal.

Been discussing her history in the yard, and as far as can be recalled she was bought to roll tar when some of the yard got done about 22/23 years ago, after that duty she was parked up and never moved again (until today!).

Next task as I've said is to sort out the ignition system and try and get her starting off a key. Then I can get on with clearing and hard coring our yard, with her brought into help compacting it down. Hopefully through time I'll get around to tidying her up a bit more and getting her back to more like she should be. It will be a long drawn out process, but in the mean time she'll have to work for her living and having driven her today, I'm sure she'll handle the work with ease.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Post #27 by martyn williams » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Glad you have got it going and intend to use it.These rollers have a good turn of speed.I would love one of those.
Keep us updated on its progress :thumbup:
Martyn

martyn williams

Post #28 by martyn williams » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Check the cams in the pump are not running dry,remove that plate with two nuts on the side of the pump.A common fault on those pumps that can lead to seisure of the pump.
Martyn

Topic author
woodie

Post #29 by woodie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks for the advice Martyn, will look into that tomorrow.

70's steve
Flag: Great Britain

Post #30 by 70's steve » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:25 pm

great pictures woodie :rockon: good to see her up and running , well done :claphands:

Return to “Paving Equipment”