Mountain Ash UDC Aveiling Porter steam roller.

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
martyn williams

Mountain Ash UDC Aveiling Porter steam roller.

Post #1 by martyn williams » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Found some photos of the Ex Mountain Ash roller as we took her back to Mountain Ash from her home in Derby for a trip through Mountain Ash town centre.She was last there in the late 1960's.
She was well looked after when she was with the council and driven for them by the late Arthur Hayman.His family were invited to have their photos done by the roller.We drove it from a builders yard in Mountain Ash to Penrhiwceiber colliery site.It was watered from a hydrant outside the Osbourne hotel. as we were watered inside the hotel.This took me back to 1963 when my grandad used to take me to see the roller.In fact this roller kicked off my interest in engineering.
Its owned now by Richard Buck and based in Derby.I was surprised how much interest this roller generated on its return.With large crowds to see its return.
Martyn
Click on photo to enlarge,I am behind Terry,the chap with the bowler hat in the second photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
martyn williams

Re: Mountain Ash UDC Aveiling Porter steam roller.

Post #2 by martyn williams » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Found this photo of my Fordson on water bowser duty,the Mountain Ash UDC roller takes on water at out local vintage show.Its owner Richard Buck,it the very tall chap in the photo. He is on the committee of the RRA and is the chap to contact if you need info on living vans.
Martyn
click on phot to enlarge :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gah1950
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by gah1950 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:35 pm

hello martyn.
very good find,i notice that the roller is carrying a very early glamorgan registration number (L)
graham.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:46 pm

I was allowed to drive the steam roller at the rally ,that made my day, as that roller held a lot of memories of my early life in Mountain Ash. The Fordson started up fine this week after a few months of inactivity. Will be sprucing it up as it was last done in 1981.
Martyn

Return to “Paving Equipment”