road closed

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Basilbrush

Re: road closed

Post #11 by Basilbrush » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:20 pm

We work with the planing crews quite a bit, it never ceases to amaze me how fast them machines can plane out & load an eight wheeler. We normally only take coated material in to lay after planing is finished but sometimes the job involves planings going back to a coating plant to be recrushed & coated into re-cycled base materials so then we sometimes get roped into loading both ways. It sound Ok but our lorries aren't built to be loaded fast over the rear bulkhead & I prefer not to do it.

The last one I loaded off had me away faster than one of our quarry loading shovels & he loads me in two full buckets plus top up.

We tend to see Tetlaw, Jet & NRP on our patch. I guess they all take each other over to make the job go round.

A firm I used to do a lot of work for runs chain trenchers & rock wheel saws. They use the same teth as the planers. The things are amazing to watch.

BB

Topic author
d4c24a

Post #12 by d4c24a » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:49 pm

not long after gaining my class one ,i did a night on a iveco 8 legger ,i think it was a 86 D plate with the air cooled engine
it was on the M25 under a planner ,a bit of an eye opener especialy when they made a gap in the cones and we shot across all the lanes to the hardshoulder the other side :dizzy: instead of going up the M40 and back down to have it dug out by a duck and place in the french drain ready for the hardshoulder to be used as a lane
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

Localdiggers.co.uk

Post #13 by Localdiggers.co.uk » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:20 pm

Hey BB who was the company running those trenchers? i dont suppose you have any pics anywhere?

Basilbrush

Post #14 by Basilbrush » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:37 pm

I was sat waiting to tip Asphalt on a job last week, we had to wait for the planer to finish. The machine was huge & was loading an eight wheeler as it planed the road. The lorry never stood still & was loaded in a few seconds. The road went from old surface to being planed swept srayed & re-laid in a few minutes.

BB

Return to “Paving Equipment”